what are you reading today?

almondcrush

^Those books are complete and utter shit. And the first film (which I heard some positive things about) wasn't much better.

With the current sales though it won't be long before they release more posthumously "discovered" Stieg Larsson titles. The ignorant fans will fail to notice that they are just reading a narrative Apple catalogue with loose plot lines stolen from Raymond Chandler novels, and that the "exclusive" iPad versions feature click-through adverts.

If you love crime writing try Chandler, Hammet, Ellroy, Price, hell, even Harris is more enjoyable than that shit.

Halfway through by now and I really like it. Of all singer/actor turned writer types probably the best I've read so far.

bunny-munro.jpg

Then you may wish to check out the film he wrote called, "The Proposition". It's a very well done Wild West story but set in Australia.

Honestly I'm having a hard time getting through 2666. I'm just getting into the section on the murders (about halfway through), and while the shift in style was pretty jaw dropping, I feel like the 5 novella format he originally intended would have suited this work better. The links are there between the stories but they're so cursory at times that I feel a little annoyed.

My question to people who have finished it is-Do the links between the stories become more prevalent or meaningful towards the end?

Not sure if you finished this yet, but I read 2666 at the beginning of this summer, and I can tell you that while there are multiple links, the link you discover in the Part About Archimboldi is fucking awesome and it is very apparent. It's easily my favorite section of the book and the ending is perfect and fulfilling.

@ThisSunday: were you reading the Hammett in a WAYWT post recently? I just saw that cover somewhere.

Been meaning to read Red Harvest for a while now, that just reminded me. If only I wasn't already having an intimate affair with 2666. Fucking genius work of literature right there.

^ never ceases to disappoint.

boy, when you're dead, they really fix you up. i hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. people coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on sunday, and all that crap. who wants flowers when you're dead? nobody.