what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Bright Shiny Morning

Meh. I picked it up when it came out not knowing about his whole bullshit "autobiography" story. His style grates on me, but it looks like he's set in his ways. Honestly I barely remember any of the details any more.

1022calvinhobbes.jpg

I couldn't say no. Plus, it seems they're phasing out the hard cover, got the last one in town.

I don't think anyone has talked about Blood Meridian with as much concision and insight as D. 'Reviews for You" Schmid of Amazon.com:

4 of 12 people found the following review helpful:

YO, I HAD TO READ THIS BOOK WITH A DICTIONARY!, August 14, 2009

By D. Schmid "reviews for you" (New York) - See all my reviews

This review is from: Blood Meridian: Or the Evening Redness in the West (Modern Library) (Hardcover)

BUT IT WAS ILL!!!!!!!

CORMAC MCCARTHY IS ONE DEEP AND BLOOD THIRSTY INDIVIDUAL AND HIS IMAGINATION IS SCARY!

1849?

I'M GLAD I WASN'T ALIVE BACK THEN!!!!

my girlfriend accidentally brought up the copy of ayn rands 'the fountainhead' to the summer camp she works at, so Im about to leave to go snatch my own. I was literally shocked when I opened this thread to see if anyone had the same taste as me, and then saw someone was reading the same novel on the first page

15303475_75afe5bf08.jpg

Ahhhmazing. Looking for a good but much more up to date read in the same vein. Any suggestions?

Next up; Ghost Wars, and Infinite Jest.

Also currently reading Bully for Brontosaurus, a collection of columns by Natural History writer Stephen Gould. Great and mindbending little essays.

Indigo by Jenny Balfor-Paul as well, terrific book about the social, physical and economic history of indigo. The amount of research is just insane.

About halfway through with Invisible Man. It's a great book so far, Ellison is an amazing writer.

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle next.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the following:

Rabbit, Run by John Updike - I've read some of his short stories and I'm thinking about squeezing this one in before Fall classes start.

White Noise by Don DeLillo - I have to read this for a class next semester and I've always wanted to read it so I guess I will finally.

Also, what is the best collection of Raymond Carver short stories?

Last, I read Ham on Rye a month ago and instantly liked Bukowski. What should I read next by him?

One last thing: I highly recommend Goodbye, Columbus by Philip Roth. It's his first book and it totally blew me away. it's a short novella that you can probably finish in a day and is really enjoyable. I took a class on Philip Roth and it was really interesting to see how his writing progressed til now, and I'd also recommend The Human Stain and American Pastoral - both of which I enjoyed but i'd have to say Goodbye, Columbus was probably my favorite.

762976.jpg

[quote name=capa;2335337

Last' date=' I read Ham on Rye a month ago and instantly liked Bukowski. What should I read next by him?[/quote]

I think Women is a great book, the guy just loves women like he loves drink, he abuses them but just cant stop.

Ive just read Capitalist Realism great book. scary, too much to say in one post but wow. I'd love to share a good Barolo with Fisher.

Im thinking about reading A Hero of our Time next - anyone read it??

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the following:

White Noise by Don DeLillo - I have to read this for a class next semester and I've always wanted to read it so I guess I will finally.

Last, I read Ham on Rye a month ago and instantly liked Bukowski. What should I read next by him?

-I'm guessing you haven't read anything by DeLillo(?) If so, White Noise is a great introduction to his stuff. I was introduced to him by my favorite professor a couple years ago and can't put his books down. Hilariously funny and a perfectly valid critique of American culture.

-I just read my first Bukowski, Women, and loved it. OBviously can't compare it to others, but I'd recommend it.

i'm rereading less than zero before i get imperial bedrooms. haven't read it in 10 years, and i'm not liking it as much as i remember the first time around. i was a freshman in college when i read it before, so i guess i could relate more back then. kinda disappointed. but maybe i'll be able to relate to imperial bedrooms more now?

check out "tales of ordinary madness", it's a collection of short stories that are among my favorites by him. also maybe post office, which is based on his years working as a mail man, it's similar to ham on rye. you can't really go wrong though