what are you reading today?

almondcrush

A Brave New World: Huxley

had the book for over a year but only just got round to starting it late last night, then fell asleep a couple of chapters in icon_smile_blush.gif

I waste a lot of time reading trashy bio's, I work really late hours, so they're easy to pick up and put down without losing the thread. Long Hard Road Out Of Hell, was great fun!

Quote:

^^ YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO DRESS

--- Original message by Selegna on May 4, 2006 01:23 PM

Not only is Selegna practically my favorite SF'er, I'm also convinced that he / she / it is some sort of surrealist art project designed to distract us from the only thing that matters:

That's right, selvedge.

Anyway, I've been digging Palahniuk and Murakami recently, but I started reading that End of Faith book. An absolutely fantastic piece, IMO. A good introductory piece, albeit some rather advanced writing, into the context of religion today and what we can do about it to avoid violence now and in the future.

i t a l i c s f o r l i f e

http://www.liarsliarsliars.com

im ignorant... all i read is supertalk and vice

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

I'm not reading it right now, but hands down the best book I've ever read is American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. He's pretty graphic in his descriptions, so it's not for everyone.

Another great book is Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh.

Too bad the movies they made of these books sucked.

Guest Airjamie
Quote:

An endless stream of political science textbooks and journal articles.

So tired of this junk.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 30, 2006 10:53 PM

Another poli sci major? co-sign anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

am reading "we wish to inform you tomorrow we will be killed with our families" - i know, the longest title ever! it's about the 1994 genocide in Rwanda. not the most cheerful subject, but i've had this book for a while and finally decided to finish it. so far it's actually pretty engaging. working in the entertainment PR/marketing industry, i sometimes "crave" more serious reading material b/c all i do all day is read about celebrity gossip and movie news (mind you, it's great getting paid to do it haha).

As the credits for Syriana roll:

Woman: I think that movie outsmarted me.

Man: Yeah, I think the movie won.

--AMC theater, Lincoln Square

Quote:
Quote:

An endless stream of political science textbooks and journal articles.

So tired of this junk.

--- Original message by minya on Mar 30, 2006 10:53 PM

Another poli sci major? co-sign anyway.

--- Original message by Airjamie on May 17, 2006 08:45 AM

hows political science/ im thinking about taking that up.

• 2 weeks later...
am reading "we wish to inform you tomorrow we will be killed with our families" - i know, the longest title ever! it's about the 1994 genocide in Rwanda. not the most cheerful subject, but i've had this book for a while and finally decided to finish it. so far it's actually pretty engaging. working in the entertainment PR/marketing industry, i sometimes "crave" more serious reading material b/c all i do all day is read about celebrity gossip and movie news (mind you, it's great getting paid to do it haha).

As the credits for Syriana roll:

Woman: I think that movie outsmarted me.

Man: Yeah, I think the movie won.

--AMC theater, Lincoln Square

No the most happy topic, but a very pertinent and important one.

Check out a Problem from Hell by Samantha Power, who teaches at the Kennedy School. Her book examines the Holocaust and Cambodia, Armenian, Iraqi, Rwandan, Bosnian genocides and asks the question of "What role should the US/world take to prevent and mitigate genocides going forward?" A key question, given that history keeps repeating itself (i.e., Darfur) despite the empty promises from world leaders of "Never Again."

Reading list, all in progress:

America at the Crossroads: SAIS's Francis Fukayama on the current state of US foreign policy and the redefinition of the neoconservative view

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man (Perkins): Fun read and maybe slightly embellished personal biography of a economic consultant that claims responsibility for persuading developing countries to allocate funds from the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, etc. to overinflated infrastructure projects that directly benefit US engineering firms ala Bechtel, Halliburton, etc.

Lords of Discipline (Conroy): Rereading this one from my college days. About Conroy's days at the Citidel. Exciting read about a secret society inside one of America's oldest military academies.

Red wrote ^^ pretty quick read. what do you have lined up after that?

Hey, yeah I was actually kind of surprised when I picked up the book at how thin it was. Next...hhmm, Im thinking maybe some Hunter Thompson or Faulkner. Or maybe I'll take a rec from this thread. I guess I'll post whatever it is that I end up reading.

• 3 weeks later...