when did this place turn into the jcrew outlet mall with a mix of half-off workwear?

kunk75

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People fall into two camps for waywt; those that post regularly to document their daily looks, or those that post sporadically whenever they feel they have something worth sharing.

You forgot a third category: Those who don't post fits and/or who do not seek the approval of random strangers on the internet (5)

I would argue it almost constitutes a division between the purist denim people (like myself) who really are only interested in jeans, and those who are interested in fashion trends and outfits. Quite frankly my interest lies more in watching how different textiles vary over time, and not so much goth ninja. I always thought goth ninja should be renamed anorexic clinically depressed...

Why can't we serve both populations and be happy? You could even start a "goth ninja 0nly" WAWYT and the rest of us could mock it and then we could have a fun division into two parties, where one party goes to /b/ to trod upon the first and the other goes to the bakabt forums.

Look it's a silly argument. If you like the old outfits, fine. Go look at them in the first 200 pages of WAYWT. I would hope most of those imagehosts (and the accounts) still exist. I feel like delta in WAYWT (and discussions like this) collected over 20 years would be fucking awesome.

You forgot a third category: Those who don't post fits and/or who do not seek the approval of random strangers on the internet (5)

I would argue it almost constitutes a division between the purist denim people (like myself) who really are only interested in jeans, and those who are interested in fashion trends and outfits. Quite frankly my interest lies more in watching how different textiles vary over time, and not so much goth ninja. I always thought goth ninja should be renamed anorexic clinically depressed...

Why can't we serve both populations and be happy? You could even start a "goth ninja 0nly" WAWYT and the rest of us could mock it and then we could have a fun division into two parties, where one party goes to /b/ to trod upon the first and the other goes to the bakabt forums.

Look it's a silly argument. If you like the old outfits, fine. Go look at them in the first 200 pages of WAYWT. I would hope most of those imagehosts (and the accounts) still exist. I feel like delta in WAYWT (and discussions like this) collected over 20 years would be fucking awesome.

...the superdenim area is the section where post in-jean pissing, someone still questioned if they should wash their denim or not, right? (5)

fapping over some hand-woven, super-rare natural indigo dye jeans that are limited to 50 pairs worldwide is the same as dudes who covet some reverse calf leather boots or ccp stuff. the common thread between superdenim and superfashion is a desire for quality, and exclusivity. i think it was a good idea to have a separate waywt for superdenim because of what you mentioned; everybody gets to witness some evolution due to wear. but the other waywts are great because they have/had different styles. there's something for everyone. and hell, while it's rare, superdenim and superfashion combine; when everybody was rocking diors there were some really nice fades over time.

if you really think there's only 2 different "populations" then you probably miss the point.

if you really think there's only 2 different "populations" then you probably miss the point.

Sorry if you misunderstood me. I never stated (read carefully heh) nor implied that those were the only two...

First and foremost, when dealing with style and fashion the word "trend" ruffles more panties that convicted sex offenders

and secondly, this shit was irritating me weeks ago so i said

when i first came here the fits on waywt used to inspire me but now it's gotten so lame and pedestrian, i can't bare to look anymore. there are some bright spots, but generally it's bad fit after bad fit without doing much to take style cues from the dope new trends of today without sacrificing class. many of my favorite posters no longer even post fits anymore, i has sadness. i'm not even sure if i've expressed what i want tosay as clearly as i would like to, and if you get offended, fuck you in advance

i feel like that little kid who waits for his father to come through the front door on his birthday and it never happens, what has happened to you sufu?

honestly it's come to a point where it less about the contributor as it is the actual changing of the guard, these days posters are posting solely on the chance that their created online persona explodes into internet fame. granted it has happened for few but what is really the aim, to grow or to become something you know and we know you're not? so if we contribute to satisfy your discontent it still really wouldn't defeat the problem. it's more of problem with people's intent/attitude more than the aesthetic pollution.

meh, i've probably been rambling for too long

My biggest issue with most of todays posters is the fact that they post fits that are safe and for that reason they're inherently bland. It's as if they have the mindset of, "this won't get me pos rep but it sure as hell won't get me negged". Obviously this rep dilemma only applies to this forum but since the sufu 4.0 relaunch rep has effectively destroyed some of the risk taking ideas that made this forum what it once was

some guy on another forum tried to tell me that jcrew was "fashion forward" and a "trendsetter". He pointed out that the designers for J crew came from like Tom Ford or some shit I don't remember. He then mentioned that yeah, he works at J Crew but it doesn't change his opinion.

I explained that J Crew's revenue model depends on quantity over quality, and thus the clothing is aimed at the lowest common denominator they can get away with. As this is the case, the very definition of their business model necessarily precludes them being fashion foward, or a being a trendsetter(whatever the fuck that means these days). I carefully explained that they do the same fucking things every season - SS for girls is ballerina flats, strappy sandals, short trousers, whimsical prints...mostly because this is what stupid white girls in America like to buy.

His response was "whatever dude I'm right and you're wrong".

Basically, some people like this shit because they are stupid and have bad taste. I don't care how much they rip off some other brands, the truth remains that you can't polish a turd. You can shine a piece of shit and mount it on the wall on mahogany with a brass plaque underneath telling you it smells like perfume, but it's always going to be shit.

TL/DR: J Crew is, and always will be shit.

i think it's funny how people refer to goth ninja as a trend when i've been dressing in goth shit (albeit cheaper stuff) since 1989.

What is called "goth ninja" does come in and out of (runway/high/mag) fashion every couple of years though. Personally I'm mainly interested in runway/high fashion but don't mind seeing some well-executed street, dressy and workwear looks (no preppy shit though, it is disgusting). I've stopped looking at WAYWT because it is now too shitty Jcrew directional and nothing can redeem that stuff.

Probably repeating whats been said.

WAYWT is either ppl wearing shit so crazy it only exists on the internet and you never actually see ppl dress like that on the streets, or ppl wearing shit so normal they look like every random dude on the street and you would never guess they post on a fashion forum.

Of course every now and then you see some gems where if you saw someone wearing that in the street you'd instantly be impressed.

But as someone who lurked four years ago it seems like its less gems or crazy shit these days, and more of the normal shit. Honestly maybe being 'fashionable' for the avg dude got big in the past few years and this forum has been flooded with new ppl with shitty looks, whereas in the past members of the forum have been more genuinely into fashion and thus had better looks.

Odd, for me this is the first image hit:

girl-in-mirror.jpg