when did this place turn into the jcrew outlet mall with a mix of half-off workwear?

kunk75

Stating the obvious here but, it is much easier to follow a current trend/style then it is to create your own or look timeless. People for the most part have always seemed to follow the hive here, just like everywhere else in the fashion world. Without the hive/hype mentality, all the fashion houses would be broke

Its safe. Going against the grain has always been risky, as people risk getting blasted for not being "current". Shit, all anyone has to do is post raws and a $300 plaid shirt now and they get repped. Mostly all ill fitted/oversized clothing as well

At least gothninjas had good fits/cuts for the most part. And there is far more aprehension over large ticket items and sales

Wheras before all one had to do is drop the name " Julius" or "CCP" and items would fly off the shelves, they seem to have to be grail like items before people will pay such a premium again ( at least online). Some of this due to the recession Im sure

The same big names dont seem to make people pony up funds as quickly anymore

Unless of course the name is " Mister Freedom" or "Iron Heart". Im all about well made gear, but I wont be paying $300 plus for a fucking plaid shirt anytime soon. Not meaning to trash anyone in particular who chooses this style or dishes out money for the above mentioned items, I just find it silly IMO

I pay that extra money for well made clothing that stands out and is well cut, not so I can tell my friends a little story of how my shirt is made of loopwheeled cotton and made on looms that were reconditioned by a small village of japanese migrant workers in a town I cant pronounce

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my personal philo is that men's style never really changes....

sure there are fads and trends but hard wearing, natural fiber, natural fitting, traditional and well made clothing is not really fashion, its part of americana history.

just look at pics of cary grant or james dean... if someone looked like that today you'd still turn your head even though they were from a time far removed from ours.

i can see how men outside of the us may not get it, but at least for me theres some nostalgia and history in brands like ll bean, pendleton, levis, and woolrich.

Jcrew imo is just a crappy knockoff of these brands (usually, some of there stuff is ok), and more and more guys are getting back into the trad. american roots.

That's just it - it's history. You're riding a throwback trend that's just as subcultural as any other movement that attempted to revive ideals and nostalgia for the past. People are using 'timeless' as a euphemism for some sort of position of being unassailable or 'outside fashion' which is nonsense. Your level of devotion to it and the echo chamber you've created doesn't defeat the fact that like everything else (goth ninja, 90s streetwear whatever whatever) things will change and possibly disappear with time aside from the die hard adherents. The things you list as validation can be listed for numerous other trends that died just as hard.

I personally have no problem with the "workwear thing" but the logic behind it is specious.

Quite frankly everyone who follows a specific trend always thinks theirs is "differant". Whether it be gothninja, workwear, streetwear or anthing else.

Everyone involved in said trend always has another reason other then they are following fashion. ( as said very well in Servos above post) you cant freeze time and hold onto your trend, fashion is always evolving

Certain items can always be carried on through the years, but for the most part certain items will date your look immidiatly.

Personally I think people find trends comforting. Its far easier to dress head to toe in the current trends approved wear, then it is to mix and match items and create your own style.

not really sure u can compare something like LLbean to AnnD...

tbh ive been wearing my gramps Brooks Bros and Paul stuart oxfords from the 60s and 70s for years... I can wear em to a wedding, to the beach, at work, or whatever, and it looks good. not to mention im wearing his allen edmonds on my feet too and they look damn good. Im a conservative guy and have nothing against all u geller rick owens ppl but its not really a trend for me its whats stands the test of time...

sure it makes me feel more comfortable i guess, but who doesnt want that

The ridiculous cosplay look some of the sz types cultivated was too much of a caricature for a lot of people, plus the cost aspect turned people off of wanting to look like some sort of extra in a live action final fantasy movie. Shit got played out (if you read/heard "goth ninja" anywhere outside of the internet, that's a sign).

i dunno about played out but i just saw these goth ninja dudes working at atelier the other day for the first time and i was like "oh man too much what's with the posture oh god"

in chronological order:

Preppy Staples

J. Crew's Liquor Store

Do you look down..

(this thread stemmed from op making fun of j. crew in the waywt thread and the rest of sufu coming to defend the brand)

and I think there were other threads like "Do you J. Crew?" or something like that following after these that i can't find right now

Quite frankly everyone who follows a specific trend always thinks theirs is "differant". Whether it be gothninja, workwear, streetwear or anthing else.

Everyone involved in said trend always has another reason other then they are following fashion. ( as said very well in Servos above post) you cant freeze time and hold onto your trend, fashion is always evolving

Certain items can always be carried on through the years, but for the most part certain items will date your look immidiatly.

Personally I think people find trends comforting. Its far easier to dress head to toe in the current trends approved wear, then it is to mix and match items and create your own style.

I don't think gothninjas ever held the delusion that gothninja would be a timeless look, or even a mainstream one.

in chronological order:

Preppy Staples

J. Crew's Liquor Store

Do you look down..

(this thread stemmed from op making fun of j. crew in the waywt thread and the rest of sufu coming to defend the brand)

and I think there were other threads like "Do you J. Crew?" or something like that following after these that i can't find right now

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo

I don't want to be considered a contributor to this!

waywt has always been about like 20 shitty fits + 20 boring fits + a handful of epic ones from consistent posters, regardless of 'trends'. we just remember the really good or really bad ones, if you look back there's a large number of crap even within the period you'd deem the best.

Walking around naked is the next goth-ninja? Wearing clothes made from 100% post-consumer recycled materials is the old new collecting dunks? What the fuck is this conversation about?

WAYWT has always struck me as such a pure, bullshit-free concept. It's not "How steezy iz your beezy today?" it's what the fuck are you wearing? If someone has the flu and posts a fit of themselves in their hello kitty pajamas, that should be fine. If you don't like someone's style, you're free to do so, and i don't think that what people are wearing in any particular trend era will change that fact. Maybe you'll like more or less, but that doesn't change WAYWT's ability to act as a fashion barometer. Just take it as such.

Maybe JCrewz is the new streetwear. Suck it up.

WAYWT has always struck me as such a pure, bullshit-free concept. It's not "How steezy iz your beezy today?" it's what the fuck are you wearing? If someone has the flu and posts a fit of themselves in their hello kitty pajamas, that should be fine. If you don't like someone's style, you're free to do so, and i don't think that what people are wearing in any particular trend era will change that fact. Maybe you'll like more or less, but that doesn't change WAYWT's ability to act as a fashion barometer. Just take it as such.

I like this approach to the WAYWT threads, then again it's also have the best and worst WAYWT threads too, makes shit interesting.

while blm14 has a point about waywt.

the emergence of jcrew and trad american dressing in the waywt thread is mostly a geographic anomaly.

most of the poster who borrrow from trad american styles seem to be based on the east coast of the united states, and let us be honest the US has never ever been known as fashion forward.

there also seems to be some confusion about trad american looks [i.e oxford/chinos/boat shoes] with americana [denim/motorcyle gear/stadium jackets...]

trad american comes from the new england prep schools as a fucked up approximation of english countryside dressing, an attempt to maintain a class system that does not exist. one only needs to look at the brand names of ralph lauren to see this ,polo is a pursuit of european royalty, and lets be honest who actually plays rugby in the US, that is right nobody does. [rugby union [rugby] was an amateur sport until the 1990's and therefore the domains of the upper classes, while rugby league [league] was professional and played by the working classes]

if you look at the users who were posting the european and japanese designer pieces of designers that show at paris fashion week [what we call goth ninja], you may notice that they were mostly from places outside of the US, where american trad is mostly seen as the domain of the stereotypical loud tourist., as these are the people that wear chinos and chambray.

in the same vein it is not surprising to see australisians wearing black tank tops, given the prevalence of shearers/farmers in both new zealand and australia, nor is it suprising to see europeans wearing designer pieces and the british posters in tailored pieces as there is a tradition of these styles there.

while blm14 has a point about waywt.

the emergence of jcrew and trad american dressing in the waywt thread is mostly a geographic anomaly.

most of the poster who borrrow from trad american styles seem to be based on the east coast of the united states, and let us be honest the US has never ever been known as fashion forward.

there also seems to be some confusion about trad american looks [i.e oxford/chinos/boat shoes] with americana [denim/motorcyle gear/stadium jackets...]

trad american comes from the new england prep schools as a fucked up approximation of english countryside dressing, an attempt to maintain a class system that does not exist. one only needs to look at the brand names of ralph lauren to see this ,polo is a pursuit of european royalty, and lets be honest who actually plays rugby in the US, that is right nobody does. [rugby union [rugby] was an amateur sport until the 1990's and therefore the domains of the upper classes, while rugby league [league] was professional and played by the working classes]

if you look at the users who were posting the european and japanese designer pieces of designers that show at paris fashion week [what we call goth ninja], you may notice that they were mostly from places outside of the US, where american trad is mostly seen as the domain of the stereotypical loud tourist., as these are the people that wear chinos and chambray.

in the same vein it is not surprising to see australisians wearing black tank tops, given the prevalence of shearers/farmers in both new zealand and australia, nor is it suprising to see europeans wearing designer pieces and the british posters in tailored pieces as there is a tradition of these styles there.

fwiw people love rugby in BC, i know its not the US but damn does victoria love rugby. probably second easiest sport to catch a live game of, behind hockey.

all this talk, in the end i just want to exchange ideas about clothes and try to develop myself about how i look and feel better about myself. i think some of the guys here feel like they have a kind of arbitrary responsibility or feel like they need to take it 'to the next level' just because they are on the internet which in itself is already moving so fast you just really can hardly keep up.

when i look at my style icons i see people who chose to stick to a certain unique style and identity and develop that and push it forwards for themselves and not out of some sense of obligation or for the sake of a community.

yeah, rugby's pretty big up here, Hap. Good points though, and it all does make sense.

edn0b, it's true, some of the guys who were doing interesting stuff 2 or 3 years back are still around, still doing it. And something can be said of people who have stuck with their look. It just feels like there's less of the standout ones these days, and that there's less variety in the waywt threads because of it. Back then there were a lot of very different looks and each had some members who pulled it off well. The diversity has always been something sufu has compared to hypebeast or SZ.

People fall into two camps for waywt; those that post regularly to document their daily looks, or those that post sporadically whenever they feel they have something worth sharing. Neither is wrong, it's open to interpretation. I hardly post because I wear very nearly the same thing throughout the week. I think it's pretty boring don't feel like doing almost-repeats in the thread.

waywt was great for inspiration, to give people new ideas that might apply to their own wardrobe, or even move it in a new direction. Plus if you took part, you could get opinions from others on what to improve on. Now a huge part of waywt is just giving people endless examples of the same JCrew red chambray on slightly different builds.