when did this place turn into the jcrew outlet mall with a mix of half-off workwear?

kunk75

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't really care if you like my fits, but don't you think you're kind of a smug, holier-than-thou know-it-all asshole just because you have that one sick pair of old raf sneakers?

i'd rather see more jcrew than another kunk fit

Guest Bespoke
Beyond the obvious like prices, marketing, hype and such, is there really a big difference between Jcrew, Gap, and Bananas Republic? I really don't know.

Gap and Banana was really brought to market by Mickey Drexler in then 90's thru early 2000's. He was then let go and came on at J.Crew and hired some decent designers.

Product quality is a little bit above Banana/Gap but so is the price. I also know the amount they produce is not nearly as much as Gap/Banana. Now GAP is trying to copy/play catch up with J.Crew.

I feel that J.Crew is after the Americana market due to the marketing/fashion directors that may be Americana enthusiasts themselves OR maybe just because it's a market that is being revitalized. In some aspects I feel they are just cashing in on the cow so to speak.

I mean you would think instead of using Warehouse to make some real premium denim them would sit down and create a real denim program that justifies the cost. Yes they do create some selvedge denim but what is so great about it for the price?

I am torn so to speak. They make some nice stuff and they also ride on coat tails of others at the same time.

Bluntly they are cashing in big as the are the #1 mass retailer in the market. If you don't believe it go take a look at how the stock has grown over the last 2 years but to be blunt 90% of J. Crew customers are NOT Forum members. they are mid to late 20's through 50 year old business man that have no clue about what a Chambray is let alone who or what MF is.

Kinda funny how jcrew is getting blasted on here for being too bland, but that one dude who has the howtotalktogirlsatparties blog got blasted on a different blog for being too out there with that whole style.

you just referenced a blog about a blog. that's too meta for me, man.

in all honesty dude I think there's a happy medium between "my mom enrolled me in private school" and "IDGAF". It's like how girls that are a little crazy are hot, because they do crazy things within 2 standard deviations away from the norm.

Then you have girls that are actually crazy, who will stab you with some low end henckels while telling you to "cut it out".

I miss that girl.

look i aint gonna say its good or bad or i like it this way or wish it was different but this is not a fashion-centric forum, its a denim-centric forum

the ratio of people viewing superdenim to superfashion is usually pretty close to 10 to 1; if you combine that with supershopper, which i realize is a mishmash but has a lot more to do with streetwear/workwear than fashion, its more like 15 to 1, on a regular basis

its like my man yo gotti said

At least with gothninja people would be paying for new-ish things as opposed to j.crew/old father/bluecollarninja where people will force shitty 70s parkas and backpacks to cost $400.

True. The whole obsession with how clothes, esp. denim, were manufactured has always puzzled me.

People talking about clothes like they talk about cars. I don't get it.

weird too how they can be obsessed with the quality of the jeans manufacture process but just shrug and hand over your cash for j crew, whose manufacturing is pretty hazy (dubious)

Because they feel they need a flannel or gingham to complete their desired "Americana" look and they just dropped 3 bills on a pair of jeans. You can get away with wearing the same pair of jeans every day, but not the same shirt. Not everyone can afford multiple Mister Freedom or Flathead shirts so they need to go with the cheaper alternative - Jcrew.

• 1 month later...

lol @ jake davis mention

this is not that big of a deal

when the economy picks up again, and people start being little babies about buying "versatile, classic, heritage pieces", we can return to dropping unreasonable amounts of money on more-forward looks (or more stupid shit, dunkz n jawnz, whatever)

until then, the peasants will buy their clarks and j.crew

EDIT again: another trend will emerge somewhere, probably soon.........

i saw a pendleton blanket and bags on display outside of an urban outfitters........