27987 replies to this topic

#1 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

One of my friends from England had on a pair of shoes that were beautiful. You could tell that they've been broken in over years. He had polished them impeccably and they looked great with a pair of worn jeans. They were that burgundy color with the dark creases, maybe you know what I'm talking about.

So, I want a pair of shoes or boots that will age like this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, no sneakers please. Thanks.

#2 rnrswitch

rnrswitch

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts
  • joined 20 august 05
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:vain
  • biography:Life ain't what it isn't, it isn't what it is, and it ain't not what it isn't suppose to not be.
  • wish i was in:your momma.
  • talents:stealing girlfriends and jerking off.
  • denim:pimp

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:39 PM

Any good leather boot will look better with age. Look into Frye boots. Top notch quality.

#3 cheapmuthafukr

cheapmuthafukr

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,446 posts
  • joined 17 october 05
  • style:none
  • talents:none

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

gokey boots. here are mine that are many many many many years old.
Posted Image
they look alot better than any boots ive seen before. hand made and all that good shit if youre into that. i think orvis sells them, but id try to find some vintage ones on ebay for cheap.

i am a cheap bastard tho, so you may want new.
TEAM BEGåVNINGSRESERVEN coming straight from the future
i make beats and shit...

#4 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

yeah, i want to buy them new so i can wear them in myself.

the frye boots look great, i like the engineer boots (maybe because i am an engineer).

rnrswitch, what shoes do you wear for work? do you stick with the industry standard timberlands?

#5 sneakeraddict

sneakeraddict

superbored

• Pip
  • 992 posts
  • joined 19 december 05

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:46 PM

To Miz,

I dont think I understand what the original question is......

Why dont you ask your friend what make they are?

It sounds like they are a British company. If so, most old British shoe companies make the same models in continuous production. That is to say, they are old classics which are always in stock / available for sale.

#6 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:52 PM

sneakeraddict, i wish i could! he bought them at a thrift store somewhere in the british countryside. the person who wore them originally had died and i think all the branding has been worn off. i will ask my friend if he can find some kind of indication of what kind of shoe it is.

i think the british companies are the way to go. if anyone has any suggestions for good brit shoe companies, please let me know.

#7 sneakeraddict

sneakeraddict

superbored

• Pip
  • 992 posts
  • joined 19 december 05

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

If you can get some pictures of them, I am pretty sure I will be able to tell you what brand they are (hopefully).

Providing they are by a relatively well known British company.

'Thrift store' ===== I think you mean 'Charity Shop' ;)

#8 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:58 PM

thanks sneaker addict, i really appreciate it!

my friend is a really cool guy. former R.A.F., former competitive decathalete and powerlifter, gourmet chef, plus he has good style. everyone who works with him thinks he's a spy. anyways, he's a like a cool uncle i never had. i'll have him send pics.

#9 Edge_Of_Denim

Edge_Of_Denim

superbored

• Pip
  • 261 posts
  • joined 05 january 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

Look into Frye boots. Top notch quality.

Agreed. My earth colored roper, two years old, just gets better with age. They've never been polished, and never will. I use a leather cleaner and occasionally a conditioner.

#10 Roland

Roland

superbored

• Pip
  • 406 posts
  • joined 07 october 05
  • talents:Stamps

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Miz,

If you can make it to the Kinokuniya in Rockefeller Plaza, check out Free & Easy May 2006. They featured shoes that look better with age.

http://www.east-r.co...06/backno91.htm

#11 partytaco

partytaco

superbored

• Pip
  • 814 posts
  • joined 18 october 05

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

good luck finding any of the sweet japanese denim and fashion magazines/books there anymore both them and asahiya went from having a nice selection one week to being pretty much soldout the next.

#12 airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:54 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Mizanation I would HIGHLY recommend a pair of Alden Indy Boots....Mine are 6 years old and look better now than when new..

#13 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:03 PM

aaah, i knew you were going to recommend the indy's, airfrogusmc. definitely will get a pair. i can't believe yours are 6 years old. they look great.

#14 mizanation

mizanation

postwhore

• 5,201 posts
  • joined 31 march 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:03 PM

Miz,

If you can make it to the Kinokuniya in Rockefeller Plaza, check out Free & Easy May 2006. They featured shoes that look better with age.

http://www.east-r.co...06/backno91.htm

roland, as always, thanks for the tip. more and more, i realize that being able to read kanji is necessity, not a luxury.

#15 6MT

6MT

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,446 posts
  • joined 05 august 05

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:04 PM

wait till i take some photos....

#16 airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 12 July 2006 - 11:39 PM

Miz sorry to be so predictable but these are some really nice boots.

#17 rnrswitch

rnrswitch

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts
  • joined 20 august 05
  • biography:Life ain't what it isn't, it isn't what it is, and it ain't not what it isn't suppose to not be.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:24 AM

yeah, i want to buy them new so i can wear them in myself.

the frye boots look great, i like the engineer boots (maybe because i am an engineer).

rnrswitch, what shoes do you wear for work? do you stick with the industry standard timberlands?

Miz...

I am an engineer also (Electrical). I typically wear my Frye (black belted harness 12"rise) boots with my RRDS or some Chucks with my Jean Shops. I really like the dark brown Harness Frye boots. The leather is very supple. I bought a pair for my girlfriend and I wished I had bought that color instead of black for myself.

#18 Watchout Lester

Watchout Lester

semibored

• Pip
  • 56 posts
  • joined 13 may 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:31 AM

FRYE roper, (earth colo)r) best boot out there, real cowboy boot construction and look, but not too pointy. if you want authenticity go for them, and not too expensive either (half of what those alden's cost)

#19 Edge_Of_Denim

Edge_Of_Denim

superbored

• Pip
  • 261 posts
  • joined 05 january 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:40 AM

mrswitch, my better half owns a pair of the belted harness boots in olive. What a great color!

#20 rnrswitch

rnrswitch

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts
  • joined 20 august 05

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:46 AM

I simply bought black, because my entire wardrobe is black, but after seeing their other colors I have decided to try to loosen up my wardrobe a bit.

#21 keri

keri

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,386 posts
  • joined 18 march 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:46 AM

Miz...

I am an engineer also (Electrical). I typically wear my Frye (black belted harness 12"rise) boots with my RRDS or some Chucks with my Jean Shops. I really like the dark brown Harness Frye boots. The leather is very supple. I bought a pair for my girlfriend and I wished I had bought that color instead of black for myself.

Super OT, but I'm in school right now for EE, it's nice to see some fellow engineers on the board!
fuck you, I have enough friends

#22 viv1984viv

viv1984viv

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,805 posts
  • joined 07 may 06
  • biography:s40500N, eternal 868, eternal, 877, PBJ 005, Kapital cisco no4 denim, APC NS indigo & grey, Julian R

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:50 AM

hey miz, churches shoes are the origional and best, but pricey, loake make nice ones, jones's bootmaker also look cool, all are exceptionally well made.

Charles Thywitt do classic feet, clarks are best value tho.

For the purist go churches made to measure

#23 Edge_Of_Denim

Edge_Of_Denim

superbored

• Pip
  • 261 posts
  • joined 05 january 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:16 AM

I saw Tom Waits sporting a pair of really really really scruffy boots- lace ups- in black that looked vicious. Same kind of Indy boot vibe. I have no idea what they were. I've also seen Mark Lanegan wear the same, or similar, boot. So it's a real rock 'n roll thing, I guess. I know that's vague, but if any group of people might have a hunch, this would be the place.

#24 jchosko

jchosko

semibored

• Pip
  • 75 posts
  • joined 25 june 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:25 AM

for those who are into frye harness boots. i had a pair before but they were unfortunately stolen. i didn't want to cough up the money for another pair so i thought i would try the ones at "leather up" and when i got them i swear they are the identical boots with different branding on them--esp. since the frye harness boots aren't made in the usa anymore. the leather is the same oily supple handed one, they smell the same, and they have the same welt and sole. give them a try. and no, i don't work for them.

www.leatherup.com

#25 LIVENUDEGIRLS

LIVENUDEGIRLS

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,303 posts
  • joined 03 june 05

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

I'm having trouble finding it, but I found a picture on google once of a worn pair of Clarks desert trek boots in beeswax leather. They looked really good.

#26 Edge_Of_Denim

Edge_Of_Denim

superbored

• Pip
  • 261 posts
  • joined 05 january 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

Zappos has those beeswax desert boots. I can imagine them with some wear on 'em.

#27 airfrogusmc

airfrogusmc

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,026 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:17 AM

Miz heres some WWII service shoes that are very cool.
Army
http://www.wwiiimpre...0136profile.JPG
Marines
http://www.wwiiimpre...0180profile.JPG
Web site
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/

#28 dismalfuture

dismalfuture

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • joined 07 may 06
  • talents:i don't have a life beyond supertalk.

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:43 AM

Space (the Prada-owned outlet store) in Hong Kong had a bunch of different Church's desert boots and some other Wellie-looking boots, as well as the whole regular line of Church's oxfords and brogues all for $1500HKD (about $180US). There are several Space stores around the world so if there was one nearby I'd jump on that deal.

#29 darkanimal

darkanimal

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • joined 20 january 05
  • biography:instagram: @darkanimalnyc @darkelephanttattoos

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:48 AM

I've seen very cool worn out Redwing boots. Any black leather boots that have whitened from wear in the right areas.

#30 avanjaz

avanjaz

bored

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • joined 18 march 06

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:25 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Mizanation I would HIGHLY recommend a pair of Alden Indy Boots....Mine are 6 years old and look better now than when new..

Wow - those really look great. I noticed on alden's site though, halfway down this page http://www.indygear....ear/boots.shtml its mentioned that about 5 years ago they switched to a lighter color leather. I really like the shade on yours. Anyone with the more recent model care to comment on how they age? Maybe with the right polish they could look like the older ones. Or maybe those are the "newer" model?