Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Posted · Hidden by Steve7, May 31, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Steve7, May 31, 2012 - No reason given

can't imagine why people reckon c&j boots are more elegant than tricker's...

islay and stow:

:

Got me some of those Stow Espressos on the way - what do you use to keep them looking like that? Aside from the dark brown shoe cream? Wax?

can't imagine why people reckon c&j boots are more elegant than tricker's...

islay and stow:

dsc02953p.jpg

Got me some of those Stow Espressos on the way - what do you use to keep them looking like that? Aside from the dark brown shoe cream? Wax?

I've only added some saphir neutral shoe cream to my espresso burford's from new, and with 2 pairs of shoes in that colour some advice will help!

I've only added some saphir neutral shoe cream to my espresso burford's from new, and with 2 pairs of shoes in that colour some advice will help!

just wax, really...and not too often (they've only been worn since the start of april, and maybe polished thrice since then). i just give them a decent brush after each wear.

not a fan of neutral polish (wax or cream) so have used both kiwi dark tan (as per richard shoehealer's recommendation) and saphir dark brown on them - not fussed about a fancy finish on the tricker's at the moment but i've seen some espresso stows on a japanese blog that had the most incredible, 'liquid' finish to them...

not a fan of neutral polish (wax or cream) so have used both kiwi dark tan (as per richard shoehealer's recommendation) and saphir dark brown on them - not fussed about a fancy finish on the tricker's at the moment but i've seen some espresso stows on a japanese blog that had the most incredible, 'liquid' finish to them...

Curious - I have read on Trickers own site (and other good guides) to use shoe cream to keep leather in tip top shape and avoid it drying (only ever use neutral if I don't have a decent colour match pigment one). The wax is just a cosmetic shine? I tend to only use wax when I want a real shine, as a final step.

Interested why you aren't a fan of creams, especially neutral - and would like to know where that link is as I am none the wiser about different finishes.

My shoes are in 3 groups: waxy finishes where I use cream and dubbin, smooth finishes were I use cream only to avoid a high shine, and smooth finishes where I add wax after the cream to get the bull finish. I was tempted to use neutral on the espresso to encourage the burnish to show and not overload the leather with pigment.

But I'm really none the wiser on shoe care. Only use Saphir products, or the supplied Trickers shoe cream (and would only think about more than one colour on the Ilkleys which may enjoy a bit of oxblood as well as dark brown to bring out the red undertone.

Edited by Steve7

Curious - I have read on Trickers own site (and other good guides) to use shoe cream to keep leather in tip top shape and avoid it drying (only ever use neutral if I don't have a decent colour match pigment one). The wax is just a cosmetic shine? I tend to only use wax when I want a real shine, as a final step.

Interested why you aren't a fan of creams, especially neutral - and would like to know where that link is as I am none the wiser about different finishes.

My shoes are in 3 groups: waxy finishes where I use cream and dubbin, smooth finishes were I use cream only to avoid a high shine, and smooth finishes where I add wax after the cream to get the bull finish. I was tempted to use neutral on the espresso to encourage the burnish to show and not overload the leather with pigment.

But I'm really none the wiser on shoe care. Only use Saphir products, or the supplied Trickers shoe cream (and would only think about more than one colour on the Ilkleys which may enjoy a bit of oxblood as well as dark brown to bring out the red undertone.

i've not got a problem with cream in general, only neutral cream polish, so i possibly wasn't being as clear as i could've been - sorry!

i'll use a conditioning cream on the boots that don't get a couple of coats of dubbin a year - for these boots, very little else is needed in terms of conditioning but i've started using black polish on a couple of pairs of veldts as that seems to have been the done thing back in the day, and makes for a characteristic look to them.

i'll go for a high shine on my dressier boots (crockett & jones) and business shoes (church's) but it can look a little incongruous on heavy duty country boots unless you're after a 'bulled' finish.

tricker's polish is saphir as far as i know. crockett & jones are, i understand, in talks with avel with a view to also using their products.

i wouldn't worry too much about overloading the espresso leather with pigment as it seems to be a leather that lightens naturally over time in most cases that i've seen. here's a magnificent pic of a pair of worn burford in espresso taken from the 'withtrickers' blog:

tricker252527s252520bur.jpg

definitely one of those pics that makes me want to spend some more cash...

Edited by CrashTestBrummie

IMG00075-20120531-2323.jpg

Minus my shitty berry pic, I love my Danner Mountain Light JP, courtesy of the Danner Factory store a few weeks ago. Already wore them twice for breaking in and some concern regarding leather care for the color.

These Danners look great as well. It's about time Danner started evolving.

danner_34304_boot1.jpg

http://www.shoebizsf...34304_boot.html

Edited by mlwdp

Just a quick question, is it hard to pair viberg service boots with bigger hem opening? It looks fantastic with those small openings but never seen in bigger hem openings though.

• 3 months later...

as planned we have to split up the 10 big MEGA THREADS on supertalk.

all details about splitting these threads can be found here:

we have started manually moving all the posts made so far in 2012 from this OLD THREAD to a NEW THREAD:

Shoes that look better with age... 2012

--> systematically going backwards from the most recent post.

--> since this will take a LOT of TIME it might be realistic to only go back a few months.

--> will update status in this first post.

SO PLEASE START POSTING YOUR Shoes tha look better with age...2012 IN THE NEW THREAD

[as they're going to get moved from here anyway if you don't...]

!!

update: ok. so far we have gone back and moved 468 posts to june 4th 2012

!!