#1 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • joined 01 august 05
  • style:dainty

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

not to mention that a lot of people who actually knew anything got banned from here already. Take away the people who drop knowledge, ideas and concepts that are new

you are talking like there were members who were finding trends before the shops got them and that they changed things around here.

there are only a handful of members who i would put in that category and they have all worked for/or do work for fashion designers, none of them are banned.

let us pretend that there is usefulness in discussing members who got them selves banned for today, and go ahead and let me know who you are talking about and i will explain why it was they were banned.
i just type s o n, son.

#2 e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5

rayman 64

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • joined 18 october 07
  • style:none
  • attitude:none

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

you are talking like there were members who were finding trends before the shops got them and that they changed things around here.

there are only a handful of members who i would put in that category and they have all worked for/or do work for fashion designers, none of them are banned.

let us pretend that there is usefulness in discussing members who got them selves banned for today, and go ahead and let me know who you are talking about and i will explain why it was they were banned.

now i'm not really part of this discussion, but i think the two names people will say are jmatsu and westside, but we all know why they are both banned. there was also phrost but i don't even know if he is still banned or what.

#3 e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5

rayman 64

• 8,670 posts
  • joined 18 october 07

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

just want more multicolor waywts and then i could die happy

#4 lmaozedong

lmaozedong

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,526 posts
  • joined 04 march 08
  • style:tribal
  • attitude:orthodox

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:38 AM

I think a lot of what sufu provides (or at least, used to provide), rather than finding trends BEFORE shops get them and before anyone is aware of them is that it provides an easy way to access the newest trends and items in stores all in one place--a sort of a digest of goings-on in fashion today thats a lot faster, varied and closer to real life than something like a fashion magazine or blog would provide.

a couple of people i can think of off of the top of my head that filled these needs were scott.m, ProfMonnitoff and djrajio, although to be completely honest, a lot of what sufu has lost also has to do with older members posting less and less in addition to the bannings.

#5 newaesthetic

newaesthetic

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,674 posts
  • joined 23 march 07

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:22 AM

I don't think it was so much about members finding trends before shops, but what lmaozedong is saying; it provided a nice centralized place to hear/read/see all of this. Jmatsu ran the one hightop thread, and it meant others could visit here instead of looking all over the net for the latest sneak peaks (ugh, pun).

sphoxx could wear a v-neck and jeans and look steezy (just like baguette's last one, really). money tuff might not of posted a fit often, but he took part in discussions about style, and silhouette, and other similar things. matsu might've crossed the lines with personal insults more than a few times, but he brought criticism with him to worst waywt.

I don't deny that a part of finding waywt less intriguing these days is probably due to exposure, though. Even if I live in a town that has no reflection in waywt, I see enough of everything that's new on here that very little jumps out these days. It's like dismal said; "this whole game is always about being on the newest tip".

#6 semper

semper

superbored

• Pip
  • 554 posts
  • joined 10 january 09

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:20 PM

now i'm not really part of this discussion, but i think the two names people will say are jmatsu and westside, but we all know why they are both banned. there was also phrost but i don't even know if he is still banned or what.

jmatsu, really? That means I must have missed his grand early years, because I can't think of much input, in terms of quality rather than quantity, since I've read this forum, and that's 2008. I do remember an incredible talent for stating one thing and the complete opposite in one phrase, and making me read it twice before I noticed it.

Perhaps you want the king of the circular argument back for reasons of nostalgia.
SICUT LILIUM INTER SPINAS
FS shorts suit, acne jacket

#7 Quiver

Quiver

superbored

• Pip
  • 439 posts
  • joined 04 september 05

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

Someone tell me why jmat and westside got banned pls

U could c it coming but i need a definitive answer

#8 cheapmuthafukr

cheapmuthafukr

postwhore

• 8,446 posts
  • joined 17 october 05
  • talents:none

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

jmatsu, really? That means I must have missed his grand early years, because I can't think of much input, in terms of quality rather than quantity, since I've read this forum, and that's 2008. I do remember an incredible talent for stating one thing and the complete opposite in one phrase, and making me read it twice before I noticed it.

Perhaps you want the king of the circular argument back for reasons of nostalgia.

yep , you missed it. jmat had been here since 05...
TEAM BEGåVNINGSRESERVEN coming straight from the future
i make beats and shit...

#9 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • joined 01 august 05

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

supertalk has had a couple of failed experiments with transparent moderation in the past.

i will do my best in this thread to answer questions about bannings, with the caveat, that if it take up too much time/ turns into a shit show, then the thread will be locked and there will be no further attempt at transparency.

a couple of people i can think of off of the top of my head that filled these needs were scott.m, ProfMonnitoff and djrajio

these three users were banned for different reasons.

scott.m posted in high volume and had been warned a number of times for junk posting/treating supertalk as his personal live journal. after a short time out he assured me that he would not post in the same way and then after a short time back he started posting in a way that was better suited to private message.

ProfMonnitoff has had three different accounts banned, all for being critical/making a fuss about moderation decisions, and therefore making more work for the moderators. to the best of my knowledge he currently has an active account and has been posting quietly and enjoying the board.

djrajio was banned along with another member for attacking a moderator via posts of photos. the other member contacted me and made an assurance that they would not do the same thing again, and had their account reinstated. djrajio for whatever reason did not contact me and therefore never his account is still locked.

Someone tell me why jmat and westside got banned pls

U could c it coming but i need a definitive answer

jmatsu has had 3 new accounts banned in the last month. as semper noted above, his arguments are circular, when his posts get out of hand and when he gets into a discussion with anyone he always needs the last word. this becomes a big waste of moderator time, this fact weighed against his posting record and he was gone.

four months ago i had a long discussion with jmatsu giving him the opportunity to post again under his original user name, he maintained that he had the right to criticize moderation, and after discussion with the other mods it was decided that this would still be too much work.

the westside banning happened in public and if you find the garbage man threads from december '07 you can see for yourself. his ban became permanent and he was blacklisted from superfuture forever, after he posted vicious racist attacks about the owner of superfuture across the internet.

yep , you missed it. jmat had been here since 05...

with all due respect cheap, your information is not quite correct. jmatsu had a join date of '03, but he did not make a single post on supertalk until '07. so the golden age of earlier posting you talk about did not happen.
i just type s o n, son.

#10 Fuuma

Fuuma

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • joined 03 may 05
  • style:tropical
  • attitude:chilled
  • biography:40 y/o eurotrash

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:35 PM

I don't have a stance on moderation decisions and won't criticize them considering I would never go to the trouble of having to moderate the forum. With that being said many of the banned (or self-exiled) posters were a very important part of the board, bringing information and commentary on more interesting trends and designs than JCrew/APC/CP. Right now the board is pretty boring as far as I am concerned. I certainly won’t learn anything here and I don’t feel like sharing what I know either.

note: I am not calling for the un-banning of anyone, as I said I don't take a stance on moderation, I am only discussing the current state of the board.

#11 playdisonlyatnight

playdisonlyatnight

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,510 posts
  • joined 26 may 08
  • biography:gangsta

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

haptronic can you unban my old account

maybe this can be arranged thru PM (where further details will also be given)

#12 Quiver

Quiver

superbored

• Pip
  • 439 posts
  • joined 04 september 05

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

Useful or not, I don't know. To me though this discussion is related to the history of the forum, so in that context, I do find it informative and interesting to an extent.

#13 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • joined 01 august 05

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

With that being said many of the banned (or self-exiled) posters were a very important part of the board, bringing information and commentary... I certainly won’t learn anything here and I don’t feel like sharing what I know either.

with all due respect Fuuma this reminds me of a middle school dance, in that everyone wants to have this information available but no one wants to make the first move of sharing what they know.

if only we had the guys here who asked the girls to dance with us, then we would all be dancing.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Never realised the difficulties in being a mod. It all makes me wonder if there is literature concerning moderator ethics. Surely.

regarding moderator ethics on supertalk.

supertalk is and always has been a privately owned message board, what the owner and the people who work for him decide about policy is what goes. while the mood of the members is taken into consideration when making these decisions, the decisions themselves are up to the owners/moderators.

a good analogy is that of an exclusive nightclub, and the moderators are bouncers/bar staff. the bouncers are there to make sure that everyone has a good time. if there is a ruckus in the club, it will often be the person making the most noise who will be ejected in order for the party to continue as soon as possible. if somebody has been eighty sixed a number of times it becomes unwise to let them back in the door.
i just type s o n, son.

#14 e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5

rayman 64

• 8,670 posts
  • joined 18 october 07

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

wow i didnt know scott M and djdajio weere gone woah

#15 broneck

broneck

postwhore

• 8,692 posts
  • joined 11 april 07
  • style:cosplay
  • attitude:cantankerous

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

with all due respect Fuuma this reminds me of a middle school dance, in that everyone wants to have this information available but no one wants to make the first move of sharing what they know.

if only we had the guys here who asked the girls to dance with us, then we would all be dancing.

+ rep 10 chars

#16 16steps

16steps

banned

• banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
  • joined 29 october 07
  • talents:drugs.

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:12 AM

whats jmatsu 's new handle?
With Love,
Satan

#17 semper

semper

superbored

• Pip
  • 554 posts
  • joined 10 january 09

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

When I mentioned jmatsu's "incredible talent" I wasn't being sarcastic. I was at the same time attracted to and repulsed by his his eloquence.
There was something perverse about the way he posted.

Having said that, what I remember most is how he would always try to wear people out when having an argument. Very exhausting. He usually won them because the other person just gave up.
SICUT LILIUM INTER SPINAS
FS shorts suit, acne jacket

#18 AstroWolf

AstroWolf

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • joined 13 april 07
  • biography:The truth might be that i am not a good person.

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

no ones banning has changed much, as many people who i notice as contributing are still posting as much as ever. As with all things, shit happens. Make a new SN, post less, find pussy, its all a cycle. When i first got here Clopek was posting every two seconds, then he went to school and stopped for a while, and then got back at it.

Despite not having a connection with most of the infamous banned posters, i do not see all the hype about them being gone. Jmatsu and Sonic voodoo fights were fun for about 10 seconds. I did like Stuck On Stupid but he never gets mentioned much, he was funny.

But what happened to Whitney, that much i would like to know.
"Yeah, I was in the shit".

#19 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • joined 01 august 05

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

in order to explain about whitney i also must explain the usual banning procedure.

if you have been posting anything that makes more work and/or makes it difficult for the moderators to do their job, you will be put into a user group called superpenalty. this was created to avoid the riots that were common place anytime a high profile user was banned.

in superpenalty you can login, but posting, private messages, and reputation points are disabled. once you are in superpenalty you are more than welcome to contact the moderation staff in order to get your account looked at. for the most part we want to give the member the account back but the main focus is to make sure that the user is not going to do the thing that got the account locked in the first place.

whitney
was put into superpenalty for asking for banned members to be reinstated, she had been warned for this a year before her banning and was one of a handful of members to post about this whenever any discussion came up. once she was in superpenalty i had extensive email conversations with her, in which she stated that she didn't know what she was doing was wrong. even after warnings for exactly the same thing. her account was left in superpenalty.
i just type s o n, son.

#20 sidneylo

sidneylo

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,169 posts
  • joined 24 october 06

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:20 PM

TopicStyle.

#21 homi29

homi29

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,620 posts
  • joined 26 february 05

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:01 PM

while i dont want to get into banning on a case by case basis the fact remains that the site is alot more boring than it has been in the past. Maybe the tradeoff for "less work for mods" is worth it in some eyes but all the drama was probably worth it for what made this site special imo

I don't see how modding these "problem" members is more difficult than keeping supermarket in check which imo is abig issue because theres so many posts and potential scammers/flakers.

#22 Vampyrvargfesten

Vampyrvargfesten

superfreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,501 posts
  • joined 20 may 08
  • biography:spräckta snutkukar
  • wish i was in:skitkyrkan
  • talents:baby body baby body

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

but all the drama was probably worth it for what made this site special imo

i can agree with this- although some of the shit talking and drama stepped on questionable or racist shit, it did make for some great thread reading

some of the most entertaining threads in my opinion have been the epic burn threads of xenox101, disillusioned, thedaniway, Jean-pierre MATTEI... etc

can someone bring to light why eric glennie was banned?

#23 newaesthetic

newaesthetic

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,674 posts
  • joined 23 march 07

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

iirc, glennie eventually let the shit-talking get the better of him and blew up? I could be wrong.

Hap, can I get clarification on the livejournal comment? I understand the part about convos that are best left to private message, that is clear enough, but I've always wondered about Scott's banning because it's such a gray area. We all bullshit around here, and a lot of us know a fair amount of members in real life, so personal comments and in-jokes are pretty common. I looked at the post totals for random thoughts and confessional and while Scott's up there in both, it's not completely unbalanced. Genuine curiosity on this.

Sufu is different from most other internet forums when it comes to censorship. On one hand we have the cwg/kag/fap threads, the uncomfortable picture thread, and other pretty extreme things. On the other hand, we have pretty tight rules on personal digs... although looking at the list of lepers vamp just posted, I remember plenty of pretty caustic (and hilarious) comments thrown at each of those people. Who is banned and who stays isn't always consistent, but then again, as a privately owned community, it doesn't have to be and like it or not, people do have to accept the mods' decisions as final. I might not always agree with the decisions, but I'll readily admit I wouldn't want to be doing what you guys do either.

Like it's been said, the place feels more boring and antiseptic due to some people not being here anymore, be it bans or losing interest. Part of the appeal of joining originally, for me anyways, was how this place operated without a lot of the political-correct, always-nice vibe places like SF and TFS did.

#24 e0d9n0b5

e0d9n0b5

rayman 64

• 8,670 posts
  • joined 18 october 07

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

^^ while nobody ever read my exclusive interview with eric glennie, he eventually bumped the thread and was banned in it, for what? i dont remember

#25 pieiskewl

pieiskewl

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,488 posts
  • joined 01 september 08

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

why did faded get banned?

is akira banned? if so, for what?

sorry if this has been stated already, but i was never sure of it, why did jeepster get banned?
sup satan kill me now

#26 poly800rock

poly800rock

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,040 posts
  • joined 09 september 04

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

i had no idea djrajio got banned. he's one of the few people I really enjoyed on this site...
TEAM OZAWA (oi lui xwy qluy wh l krcviukevi, zeaeylxy kibuiy kwbeiyt. oi lui drky l hlsi qemml kfwq.) http://www.superfutu...ad.php?t=255186

#27 newaesthetic

newaesthetic

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,674 posts
  • joined 23 march 07

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

strangely enough i was viewing his profile the other day and it said most recent activity was only a few hours previous. so i guess he also is in the "superpenalty" group.

#28 haptronic

haptronic

superfuture3

• PipPip
  • 2,634 posts
  • joined 01 august 05

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:09 AM

i would like to remind you that while i am happy to explain why certain members were banned, and the circumstance around it. complaints about the moderation/ and the current state of the site are outside of the bounds of this thread and do not add anything useful to the discussion. therefore are best kept to yourself.

some of the most entertaining threads in my opinion have been the epic burn threads of xenox101, disillusioned, thedaniway, Jean-pierre MATTEI... etc

can someone bring to light why eric glennie was banned?

i can't remember why eric glennie was banned the last time although i do know it has happened multiple times and each time he emailed the mods wayne suggested [and the mods agreed] that we let him back for the users to have fun flaming.

there seems to be some confusion here. no one was banned for those epic burn threads, or indeed for flaming other people unless they crossed over into matters of race, religion, sexual orientation, or vicious personal attacks.

some of the entertaining posters that you speak about have cried fire in a building with claims that the moderators want to stop people being able to flame, this has never been the case.

I understand the part about convos that are best left to private message,

this became a pattern of posting for scott.m and there was more than one member complaining about it. so it was addressed. he was on temp ban for a week. on his return he assured me that he knew that this kind of posting was unwelcome and then started posting in the same way again.

why did faded get banned?

is akira banned? if so, for what?

sorry if this has been stated already, but i was never sure of it, why did jeepster get banned?

faded
was banned for offering to create superfuture stickers and sell them on the down low.

akira was banned at a time of zero tolerance for comments about banned members. he commented on another banning and was locked out. he is another member who has a new account, and as he has caused no trouble he has been allowed to post.

jeepster was banned for similar reasons to scott.m, he had got into a pattern of high volume low content posts often on things that would have been better served by pm. he had just come back from a one month ban after what seemed to be a meltdown of sorts.

i do believe he has just opened a new account as of last week although i have not seen him post yet.
i just type s o n, son.

#29 po_boy_fuuma_hatesbürgerz

po_boy_fuuma_hatesbürgerz

superjunkie2K

• PipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts
  • joined 12 october 07
  • style:rough trade
  • attitude:chilled
  • biography:i cut people
  • wish i was in:bed
  • talents:lifting heavy tangs
  • denim:size 34

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:28 AM

where did cyberpunk go? I liked that guy.

mildly water resistant businessman.

#30 Mr Calvin Oscar

Mr Calvin Oscar

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • joined 04 july 06

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

just want to say superpenalty is a ridiculous name