Vintage Textile Typography event in NYC

Adrian Wilson

This may be a bit old school (or more like ancient school) to you guys!

I am finally giving a lecture on my vast collection of handmade typography used by merchants to mark pieces of cloth that were sent around the world from manchester, England in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

The type was handmade, by hammering copper strips into fruit wood blocks, and many fonts are unique to the textile trade. I have never shown these items before and am hoping that someone will be able to make use or at least be inspired by this unseen part of typographic history.

The Type Directors Club, based in the Garment District of NYC, seems a perfect location for this lecture. I will be showing original sample books, blocks, lettering and describing the history of this long gone typography.

Please come along or pass the invite along to anyone who may be interested in the event.

Invite:

http://www.interiorphotography.net/textile/TEXTile-lecture.jpg

into how the typography was used:

http://www.interiorphotography.net/textile/Fabric_trade_mark_Art.pdf

I am really hoping this sparks some ideas with people who might want to use the blocks or callaborate with some ideas.

Thanks

Adrian Wilson

• hello 2024!

supertalk is free to browse as a guest. You need to be a member to participate in discussions or buy and sell on the classifieds.
    Classifieds listings are now free for members.
    supertalk is now upgraded to //// supertalk 8 ////
    You can also become a premium superseller or supermember. Businesses who want to promote their brand and products need to become a supersponsor. superfuture® is privately owned and has been online continuously for 25 years. supertalk has been online for 21 years and is a digital cockroach that will survive all current and future apocalypses.