The Luggage Thread

M4TM

I was in a hurry the other day to buy luggage and got a Porter helmet bag in a wider version, classic orange lining. I would buy more Porter since they're not far in price from the Muji in Japan, for a basic black bag, but they just don't make anything truly travel size that is great looking or classic. The ones that are suitcase sized that i've seen are rather unaesthetic and just functional rolling softcases like many makers make.

I was reading a German magazine that seemed to be mostly about luggage and they had a test of the best alternatives to Rimowa's. They said that some luggage from the Victorinox Spectra line was even better their Rimowa equivalent. Anyway, I wrote this down for when I need a new one.

spectra.JPG

damn I shouldn't have started checking prices for Rimowa's here. This one I quite like is only around 280€ (cabin luggage)

Rimowa_Salsa_Cabin-Trolley-IATA_810-52-32-2_mattschwarz_01.jpg

Edited by freecat

• 4 months later...

For the IATA - you didn't want to get the 4 wheel version? I think the volume is slightly smaller, but the 4 wheel rolling seems to be more practical in getting around airports and especially in the cabin. I have the silver integral 2 wheeled version and kinda wish I had gotten a 4 wheel version after using it the past few years.

The multiwheel is a little bit more heavier than the trolley version. While I admit multiwheel is generally better, I think it's an overkill for a cabin piece, especially as it draws more attention from check in clerks who think a multiwheel is too big for hand luggage. Would rather not take that risk... Also one downside to multiwheels is traveling on public transport (trains, metro etc.) , the suitcase has a tendency to roll around unless you put it on it's side. So having to tackle two multiwheel suitcases would cause a great headache haha.

Edited by rirawin