Music Producers / Studio Thread

naturaljax

Anyone dabble? Anyone pro?

What's your set-up? Reccomendations for basic stuff to create decent music?

I'm interested in hip hop, down tempo or house music production, so anyone who knows anything about these things, help would be appreciated!

I'm also slowly getting started in music buisness. I currently am trying to get into 'UK Hardcore.' Starting from DJing, and learning the music. I plan on purchasing FLStudio, then when I have more support (money) I will invest in keyboard, synth, etc etc. I'll probably build a sound processing computer. Also will need Cubase SX3 or 4, but that program really expensive. And some other stuff.

Easiest way to get started is to get looping program, and use free samples, and play around, see what you get, unless you have loads of cash, and you want to create your own sounds... good luck on that.

Hiphop? buy a mpc and break out your grandmas vinyl collection. maybe a 808 if you wanna go old skoollllllll.

Downtempo? donno... get together with your friends from bristol and start jamming.

House? Midi controller, a 909 (drumazon if you're on a mac), and a copy of ableton live.

unless you have loads of cash, and you want to create your own sounds... good luck on that.

no. I never use sample packs and the microphone on my ibook, a shit load of vsts, and a midi controller is good enough for me/anyone.

i've been producing choonz since i was 13 and stole a CD off of the cover of a copy of Future Music magazine that had demo copies of Acid and a old program everyone seems to have forgotten called Mixman.

from then on i got into using FL Studio (FruityLoops) & Reason for production and Traktor for DJing. i ran an indie label in high school for me and my friends' noise music projects... pretty awesome experience. we broke even after a year, and sold out of

all of our releases. then college got in the way.

graduating in a month, getting back to work on dem beatz... my current set up,

as far as i can remember at the moment (i'm not at my place) is:

the latest versions of-

FL Studio

Traktor

Reason

Sound Forge

a shitload of VSTs including bigger ones like SampleTank XL

and a collection of samples ripped from the BFG (Big Fucking Drum).

tons of samples i've collected over the years

M-Audio Oxygen8

I'm actually about to make a new purchase and pick up a laptop.

i'm getting a Music XPC M4x, since i hate everything Apple- plus,

these things are way better, in my opinion, after months of research.

look em up. i'm also probably going to toss an Echo Indigo DJ card

into my new bitch.

as far as what you should do to get started, i'd say that you should

download the demo versions of a couple of different programs and get

used to them, figure out which ones you feel more comfortable with, and

then get em. then, pick up one of the many guidebooks that have been

published for those apps and learn the ins and outs. and spend your

every free moment working on music... it is the same as anything really;

you get used to working, then you get creative about your work, and eventually

the good stuff starts flowing out of your speakers.

If you're really fucking serious learn max/msp.

My cracked version of live (which was working for a year) took a shit in my mouth 2 days ago and I am looking to learn a new sequencer.

Settled on Digital Performer 5 and Max. DP primarly because no one uses it. And max because it's obviously the most open ended audio program/enviroment/language ever.

Anyone else use max/msp/jitter?

Tips?

Mixman.

mixman-dm2-in-action.jpg

HAHA

I bought one at target for 89.99 in 5th grade, it honestly changed my life. I have 100's of songs that I made from that thing.

Shame it only runs on 98'. I would honestly still be using that thing if it ran on xp.

Wow.

I used to be into hip hop production a couple of years ago (got into it after listening to RZA's score for Ghost Dog), but I gave it up because it was really time consuming and I sucked hard. I still have my soundclick site up with my old beats but I'm too embarrassed to post up any links.

My setup was:

Technics 1200s

Vestax 05 Mixer (Had a Tascam XS8 for a while, still pissed at myself for selling it)

FL Studio 5.0 (Started with Fruity Loops 2.xx) - For layering, sequencing, running VSTs

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 - For sampling, chopping

Soundforge 6.0 - Also for sampling

A bunch of VSTs for Moog and Bass Trilogy

M-Audio Oxygen8 - For playing out notes, 'live' drumming / percussion

I worked with Reason and Recycle as well but I knew FL Studio the best so that's what I primarily used.

When it came to dj'ing, I had a very 'old school' approach. I only spun wax, and I liked digging for stuff rather than hopping on to a computer to pick up mp3's off of iTunes. I quit dj'ing a couple of months ago, though, as I'm just crunched for time (probably doesn't look like it since I'm on sufu all the time!). In the future, I would like to pick up Ableton or Traktor to learn how to throw a computer into the mix (har har). I just want to learn one of those programs even if I don't utilize them.

naturaljax - pm me if you want cool edit pro or soundforge or various vst's, i could probably upload them for you. Like omc said, get a feel for the different programs, and actually purchase one that you like the best. I would recommend taking a look a FL Studio. Some people knock it because it's so easy to pick up at first, but the program is very powerful and you can make some amazing shit with it.

onemancult - I'm interested in hearing some of your work. :)

lot of my homies are ill with it. one of which- Orphan (Plague Language) made a lot of our tunes while living here in Hawaii. he kills. now works under an alias in a two man prod crew called Blue Sky Black Death. they produce for the likes of Guru, Mikah 9, Pep Love, Immortal Tech, and some lesser Wu members...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=61284644

other homies include: Math and Moodswing 9 from Anticon, Daddy Kev, Joe Dubbs, Aloeight, Deeski. damn...i should be hitting kids up for beats.

I produce, but my MPC 2000 is still at my old place. I need to grab that thing next time I'm back. In the meantime, I use Ableton, some moog style filters, and crates and crates of records.

If you're really fucking serious learn max/msp.

My cracked version of live (which was working for a year) took a shit in my mouth 2 days ago and I am looking to learn a new sequencer.

Settled on Digital Performer 5 and Max. DP primarly because no one uses it. And max because it's obviously the most open ended audio program/enviroment/language ever.

Anyone else use max/msp/jitter?

Tips?

Are you kidding? max/msp to start? no one uses DP? get an 808? why not take lessons with Richard D. James while at it.

Guest jeffvyain

I have a little business plan I'm putting together with a friend of mine, and I need a program that will rip songs off of a cd and put them into a wav file that I can splice to make a sample of the song. What's the best program to do this with?

I'm not too familiar with these pro-am setups. My only real time in the studio has been on big Neve boards and SSLs using 2-inch, Radar, or ProTools. The more simple stuff has bypassed me. Thank you Belmont University.

tons of programs will do what you want, jeff- some of them even floating around the net as freeware and whatnot.

for my sampling needs i rely on Sony Sound Forge for dealing with chopping up entire songs into more manageable bits and peices, which i then run edit within whatever program i'm working with at the moment

Guest jeffvyain

analog as in tape? hah, i'm just trying to cut a song into a piece, and on the front side i'm going to put a voice recording introducing and on the backside a little info. ideally i would just use one of my shitty 100 doller mics laying around and my tascam us-122 and some form of computer software. shouldn't take too much work...will sound forge allow me to record audio as well as cut and splice songs?

I keep it simple:

Reason 3.0

Soundforge

Acid

Recycle

various vst's

I have Ableton Live, but haven't really dabbled with it.

My flatmate uses a mix of analog and software. My other uses Ableton to DJ with.

seems like it's kind of a toss-up between Reason and FL?

I have the demo of FL but I haven't really messed around with it yet.

Is it worth messing around with if I don't have a MIDI keyboard or is just a PC keyboard worth using.

And can someone explain samplers to me?

I've never understood how you can access just certain parts of a track from, say, an .mp3 file.

Anyone know?

You don't, it's not that easy. You wait for breaks in the song, hence the term "breakbeats" which are ripped from old soul/funk/jazz/whatever records.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoTXFmYr0vE

ah, it can't ever be easy, eh.

well do either of these descriptions of tutorial classes sound like they're worth taking?

Modern recording is both exciting and dynamic. Recent changes in recording hardware, particularly advancements in PC hardware and software, have enhanced audio recording to a remarkable level of excellence. This series of workshops, given in the fully equipped control room of Mirror Sound Studios, focuses on the primary techniques and hardware of modern recording studios including: microphones, mixers, equalizers, compressors, digital recorders, PC recording/editing software and more. The course provides each student with an introductory look into professional studio recording techniques. This class will not delve into MIDI music making.

This class, given at the mirrorsound.com studio facility in Shoreline, features PC recording techniques, tips and tricks. From hard disc recording software like Pro Tools, Samplitude and Sonar to Sequencing and auto arrangement software like Sonar 2, Band in a Box, Jammer 5 and Reason, this class exposes the student to the awesome new power that the PC/Mac can unleash. Learn about interfaces, drivers, plug-in software, MIDI and how to install everything and make it fly. This class will not focus on traditional recording techniques like miking/EQ/compression and effects.

or... BOTH?!

if i were in your shoes, i'd take the second, because i feel that is where the future of music production lies, not in the big name, million dollar studios.

but, traditional recording techniques are important to learn- just not right away.

take the second one.

I'd say I know a wee bit. Been buliding up a pretty expansive array of software and hardware since I was about 14. Currently working off a Mac with Logic Pro tooled to the teeth with about 60gb of Vienna instrument libraries and synths, Novation and Korg AWM synths, Emu synth module, old school Kawai additive synth, Yamaha sampler, Boss FX and a KAOSS pad. Plus all my 'proper' instruments, mostly saxes and guitars.

As to the classes, I'd take the first. You can learn the software side of things in your own bedroom as well as classes will teach you, but you'll have a hard time learning about good recording technique without some kind of face-to-face tuition.

• 2 weeks later...

im starting out as well. its good that theres people who are into this in sufu.

Sound Forge works, but I fucking hate how much memory it uses. I recommend going straight analog with your shit. I hear the kids liek taht nowadays.

nah. i hear they go all out on computers with FL, reason and what not.

but seriously, im looking for a multitrack tape deck just to get that sound. any suggestions? ill probably get something from tascam. probably the porta 02.

naturaljax-

even though you neg-repped me, i'll help you out a lil'. basically a sampler can't do what you think it can. beat slicers can though, to an extent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_%28musical_instrument%29

that's the wiki for samplers. the mpc is the most common. not a complicated instrument, really.

most of the time (when it comes to equipment) is spent configuring a synth. any good synth will have good presets, but an awesome synth will have tons more shit for you to discover. if you youtube "nord lead," "fairlight," "virus b" etc. you'll find cool videos of people showing you the extent of various synths. internet is your friend. also, if you just want to know the most popular instruments - roland's classics. 909, 808, 303 (bass) unfortunately these are very expensive now. there are copies but most say they're not the same.

nah. i hear they go all out on computers with FL, reason and what not.

but seriously, im looking for a multitrack tape deck just to get that sound. any suggestions? ill probably get something from tascam. probably the porta 02.

I severely doubt luminaries such as Mr Aphex Twin and Mr Squarepusher use such restricting software. What I can tell you is that Aphex has a museum's worth of analogue shit stashed away, along with a bunch of self constructed instruments and stuff that he generally refuses to let journalists anywhere near... damn mystical bastard.

As to getting that analogue sound, I'd be looking at getting some valvestate compression going on rather than a tape deck.

naturaljax-

even though you neg-repped me, i'll help you out a lil'. basically a sampler can't do what you think it can. beat slicers can though, to an extent.

Anything a beat slicer can do a sampler can, just slower. I'd sooner do everything completely precisely and manually in Soundforge than use Recycle, it's a matter of a minute slower really.

I severely doubt luminaries such as Mr Aphex Twin and Mr Squarepusher use such restricting software. What I can tell you is that Aphex has a museum's worth of analogue shit stashed away, along with a bunch of self constructed instruments and stuff that he generally refuses to let journalists anywhere near... damn mystical bastard.

exactly. aphex twin has always advocated analogue. he has a forum post somewhere where he talks about all the reasons why. no one really knows how many instruments he's made (the dude fronts a lot, but then again he can back it up when necessary).

I'd hardly call any of those programs restricting. Whether it is working out a sketch for a song or producing a full track, what you get out of them is all about how much work and creativity you put into what you're doing with them.

Squarepusher, I believe, does and has used software for his stuff.