Rick Owens

Tyro1

So I searched and couldn'f find a general Rick Owens thread, so I though I'd start one. There are lots of posters here that know a lot more about his work than I do, so please post general history, news, opinions, etc in here... anything that goes beyond a specific collection I guess.

Website - http://www.owenscorp.com/

Palais Royal - http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=44824

Rick Owens, (born 1962) is an American fashion designer known for his edgy fashions favored by rock stars and people who like to cultivate an avant garde reputation. Since 2003, he has worked out of Paris where in addition to his own line, he serves as creative director for Revillon, the furrier.[1]

Born and raised in Central California (Porterville, CA), Owens studied fine arts at Otis / Parsons College of Art and Design in Los Angeles for two years before a pattern-making class led him to drop out and work for some local companies that produced sportswear and inexpensive imitations of designer clothing. His own label, begun in 1994[2] found a following, selling exclusively to Charles Gallay, a pioneering Los Angeles retailer who kept Owens in business for several years. In 2001, he signed with Italian sales agent Eo Bocci Associati for world wide distribution, and his production moved to Italy.

In 2007 he was awarded a Cooper-Hewitt National Design Award. In 2002, he won the Council of Fashion Designers of America Perry Ellis Emerging Talent Award. His look has been described as "glamour-meets-grunge", but Owens himself says "I try to make clothes the way Lou Reed does music—minimal chord changes, and direct. It is sweet but kind of creepy. It's about giving everything I make a worn, softened feeling. It's about an elegance being tinged with a bit of the barbaric, the sloppiness of something dragging and the luxury of not caring. At Revillon, I felt it isn't about displaying one's wealth, but rather giving the woman a selfish pleasure. It is about using sable as the lining under a very humble jacket, the luxury is all hers." Courtney Love, Madonna and Helena Bonham Carter are among the celebrities who have been seeing wearing his clothes, and Patricia Field used some of his pieces to create a fashion-forward look for Emily Blunt's character in the 2006 film The Devil Wears Prada.[1] He recently opened a shop in the Palais Royal, where is showing furniture as well as clothing.[3]

He is married to Michele Lamy, who owned the popular Los Angeles restaurant Les Deux Cafés until the couple moved to Paris.[3]

random facts:

• RO sizing varies quite a bit, for example I'm an M in some t-shirts, but in the thin knit thermals I need an XL, in leather I'm roughly an L and in some oversized pieces I can wear an S maybe. considering some items are meant to be big and some clingy, I wouldn't buy anything without knowing the fit of that particular item or having measurements.

• Rick is shorter than assumed.

• the boutique in Paris is probably slightly cheaper then overseas retailers, but it depends, I don't recall it being super cheap.

• the stock at the store varies a lot, I've been there a couple of times and on the other occasion for example they had only two different leather jackets on display even though it was early fall and the F/W collection had quite a few different types. they also had only a few different t-shirts in one or two colours even though the collection had many styles in several colours. so don't expect to find the full collection there.

• the store has a wax figure of a shirtless Rick standing on the window sill. someone once thought it was the man himself.

• Rick makes some pretty gnarly furniture, the style can only be described as industrial goth viking.

Hint Magazine interview with disturbing images

Papermag Interview: at home with Rick Owens

dude himself (not naked or shooting himself):

rickowens_150.jpg

the store:

rick_owens_1.jpgrickowensstore2.jpg

pics from the papermag interview, presumably from his home:

1548_i1_owens01.jpg

1548_i2_owens02.jpg

1548_i3_owens03.jpg

1548_i4_owens04.jpg

eh I'm pretty sure most are one-off pieces or atleast someway made to order and obviously cost a lot, they're handmade from scratch by some polish crafter in Paris. only other place I know that has any of his stuff apart from Paris is Barney's in LA, which apparently has a few pieces in use.

• 3 weeks later...

went by the store today and they still don't have the entire collection on the floor, but I was told the "motherload" of shipments is coming in on Monday. Rick is going to be there on Friday reorganizing their shop for women's fashion week. Saw a couple new things though, including a really nice thin leather long coat, the combat boots (790EUR), various shorts, and a really nice pair of black pants/jeans with a horizontal texture, but they didn't have my size.

I took a picture of their wall as it stands today...some interesting new things on it as well

img4552ct7.jpg

1st row: distressed reversed leather combat boots, slip on boot

2nd row: cds, leather toiletry bags, sneakers, large drkshdw bath towels

3rd row: more boots, diagonal zipper pants in muddy white, diagonal zipper pants in black, another pair of boots with a zipper on the side, jeans

4th row: more sneakers

5th row: sneakers, smaller bath towels, more diagonal zipper pants

all the other stacks are his book

I went to the store like 1 month ago, and there was nearly nothing (except Owens himself). The place was indeed quite messy (but that was maybe because it was between two collections).

From the SS collection, I've only seen the white waxed Drkshdw jeans (they look good) and those white hi-tops.

RO stuff looks generally good, but imo the pricing is a bit too high (yet, leather jackets look and feel amazing)

what is the average price of an RO leather jacket from the palais royale store?

they all seem to be around 1400-1500EUR.

Nice spot. Are the "bath towels" the big drapes that were being shown a couple of places or are they literally bath towels?

drkshdw distressed towels... not really. they are real bath towels, has a shiny satin silver patch sewn into it

I'm dissapointed that he doesn't have the skulls for sale on the shelf anymore. That shit was gnarly last time I went.

they just moved them, they are upstairs now by the crazy Onagadori feather and all the furs