Maison Martin Margiela

joey_formal

pe8-22h-02.jpg

same boots, different color. what'd mm come out with up until now? black, brown, burg, and that weird damaged ones? very good comfortable and good looking silouette, but this grey looks kind cheapish. maybe it looks alittle darker in real life.

This one I like. The rest I'm not so sure.

The shoes do look interesting-

Funny you mention this one, the top on is my least favorite next to that pink shirt. I really don't appreciate the gradient in the shirt, that look will always come off as tacky and cheap to me. However, the pants and shoes look fine.

I always find the clothing to be much better in person; His website shows such a small scope of his work that it's hard to judge what the line is like.

His prices are climbing though, whether that is our shitty dollar at work or Margiela's doing, I can't tell. But either way, there's always some great pieces in the line and Margiela always makes some of the best accessories! I always end up drooling over the bags annd jewelry.

I always find the clothing to be much better in person; His website shows such a small scope of his work that it's hard to judge what the line is like.

His prices are climbing though, whether that is our shitty dollar at work or Margiela's doing, I can't tell. But either way, there's always some great pieces in the line and Margiela always makes some of the best accessories! I always end up drooling over the bags annd jewelry.

you're def right about the clothing. the net doesn't really do them much justice...usually.

the rising prices has started a couple years ago and pisses everyone off. i've always thought his accessories were interesting. ie the watchband braclets (cant remember what season), most of his minimalistic leathers (bands/keychains), etc, but in this particular case i cannot understand why shit is pricey. i think the jewelry has been kind of a rip off for a while because of actual materials used. i guess I'd be buying for his house's aesthetic or name brand. i def agree with the bags though. like his boots they age well and with age comes a certain dignified flavor.

his stuff is all made in Italy, and the dollar has been slipping so badly the past few years. I don't think this is limited to Margiela really...

I like the gradient shirts. I will cop. Margiela's buttonup shirts don't get much love but I think they're fucking fantastic, must be seen in person to appreciate the details.

if i were to judge margiela from what is shown on its website, i would never buy anything by him. fortunately in person it's a whole different story, i absolutely love most of the stuff although the t-shirts are usually too short for my liking.

yes, i have also noticed a big price gap in the last 3 years on his stuff, it's not an american only thing.

I think a lot of companies are finding they can get away with charging more season after season because the customer is still willing to pay. If you think about it, the people who are able to afford this stuff at retail usually wont scoff at a 10% price increase from the season before.

Most boutiques will tell you that a lot of customers just roll in, pick out $5,000 worth of swag and don't blink an eye. I can only wait until that day....haha.

But anyways; The quality on the stuff is still superb. The button downs, trousers, and jackets are especially nice and the fit is always spot on.

I'm still wanting that quilted leather bomber jacket from F/W...damn that thing was legit!

But anyways; The quality on the stuff is still superb. The button downs, trousers, and jackets are especially nice and the fit is always spot on.

funny that you mentioned pretty much everything except for what i think are his strongest pieces, which are the knit sweaters ahah

LOL, oops. Honestly, I just forgot to include that, which is funny because they are some of my favorites too! My striped v-neck from F/W is just amazing. I need to find some non-striped versions in a crew neck...I just don't know if he made any.

I'll also report back next Saturday after I make a trip to the boutique. I guess some of the new Spring items are already in. :)

I think a lot of companies are finding they can get away with charging more season after season because the customer is still willing to pay. If you think about it, the people who are able to afford this stuff at retail usually wont scoff at a 10% price increase from the season before.

Most boutiques will tell you that a lot of customers just roll in, pick out $5,000 worth of swag and don't blink an eye. I can only wait until that day....haha.

I'm still wanting that quilted leather bomber jacket from F/W...damn that thing was legit!

I totally agree with you about the price increase & I too hope until that day. Thom Browne is one of those designers. He charges suits for 13,000$ now and they increased signifigantly. It really pisses me off. Its not like he is some great designer that has a legacy. He just became popular. Martin Margiela has some of the best basic pieces I love his cardigans.

funny that you mentioned pretty much everything except for what i think are his strongest pieces, which are the knit sweaters ahah

Correct, I have some and can attest. Also his coats and pants are very underrated. Quality on wovens is not the best but still good.

TBs OTR suits start at around 3400. They run around 3-6 on average, not 13 grand.

Still, for $4k+ you can go to saville row or milan and get a full bespoke suit that will kick the shit out of anything TB otr....

MM knits and coats are always really really nice, though i havn't the cash to buy them sadly :(

Correct, I have some and can attest. Also his coats and pants are very underrated. Quality on wovens is not the best but still good.

i'll raise you that his pants are the best and coats also spot on. the construction and tailoring on his pants is craziness.

i basically ignore all the "fashion" pieces and focus on the basics but it's all really too expensive these days in the us unless you get it secondhand (cough cough)

Still, for $4k+ you can go to saville row or milan and get a full bespoke suit that will kick the shit out of anything TB otr....

MM knits and coats are always really really nice, though i havn't the cash to buy them sadly :(

You're comparing OTR to Bespoke? Thats not a fair fight. You can get bespoke TB for a slight bit over 4k and it will be better made than most stuff in Milan or Savile Row. The suits are made by Rocco Ciccarelli, a tailor who most would consider one of the best. Furthermore, its also about the TB style. You cannot get it in Milan or Savile Row. So not only are you paying for the TB style (which I personally do not think is worth it for 4+k, but you are also paying for the extremely good craftsmanship.)

Also one should also note that there are no tailors on Savile Row do much handwork-- mostly it is done by machine. I do not know if TB's suits are completely hand made but they have lots of hand work. If I were paying 4+ k for a suit, I would personally go to Naples.

like all other luxury houses margiela is making lots of money from so-so quality staple pieces - t shirts, button downs, suits, trousers, sneakers, accessories. i love the design of the stuff but imo the price points/quality ratio is pretty questionable, especially after the MMM was bought by diesel - renzo rosso-ized.

You're comparing OTR to Bespoke? Thats not a fair fight. You can get bespoke TB for a slight bit over 4k and it will be better made than most stuff in Milan or Savile Row. The suits are made by Rocco Ciccarelli, a tailor who most would consider one of the best. Furthermore, its also about the TB style. You cannot get it in Milan or Savile Row. So not only are you paying for the TB style (which I personally do not think is worth it for 4+k, but you are also paying for the extremely good craftsmanship.)

Also one should also note that there are no tailors on Savile Row do much handwork-- mostly it is done by machine. I do not know if TB's suits are completely hand made but they have lots of hand work. If I were paying 4+ k for a suit, I would personally go to Naples.

That's all fair enough :o