denmark :: copenhagen :: general

andreas

I'm not really one for drinking fancy beers, but you could go somewhere like Nørrebro Bryghus which is also in my favourite area, Nørrebro.

I also don't eat a lot of fish, but Kødbyen is generally awesome if you want to get something light to eat and drink a glass of wine/a beer/go clubbing in the weekend.

If amass is our "fine dining" night , id like to try something more middle ground and casual. We're two co-workers from portland, oregon... so nothing super high end. Host looks good, as does pony. 

Any great beer spots? Ive got mikkeller bar on the list.

Any good casual seafood / oyster  lunch spots? Kodybyens fiskebar? Is this better for lunch or dinner?

Is copenhagen street food more of a lunch spot ? I read about some chef from noma making tacos, really want to check this out.

I'd say that Christian Puglisi's restaurants are pretty laid-back and rather cheap: Relæ, Manfreds & Vin and Bæst. The same goes for Oubæk's restaurants: Barbie, Melée, Gorilla and the Retour chain.

Seafood: Try Fishmarket, Kødbyens Fiskebar or Oysters & Grill. If someone recommends you Krog's Fiskerestaurant, don't believe them. The place used to be really good back in the days, but since they got new owners the place has been addressing the lowest common denominator.

Hija de Sanchez is in Torvehallerne, not Copenhagen Street Food (aka Papirøen). It is run by the former pastry chef of Noma, Rosario Sanchez. It is really good, and they often have some really impressive guest chefs (alas always in working hours, making it difficult for me to try it.). They'll have guest chefs in September on the 12th, 13th, 17th, 21st and 27th. Three tacos for DKK 100 is a steal given the quality.

baked goods: mirabelle (go early, croissants sell out but the sandwhiches are good too, dont get a coffee) & democratic coffee (honestly the best croissant of my life, chocolate and almond varieties too, do get a coffee) & leckerbaer (little snack biscuits pretty good but pricey) &  lil bror

coffee: coffee collective, go to the jaegersborggade location, its a beautiful building, way more chill, its the roastery too and the staff are fucking awesome. & democratic & lil bror.

every other coffee shop i've had coffee from, even those who stock coffee collective has been dissapointing and coffee here is expensive.

beers: mikeller & friends is way better than mikeller, bigger selection, more local, more chill, less annoying tourists asking for the most hoppy IPA. kihosk on sonder blvd, bunch of bottled beers (check out downstairs too) can take out and wander around in vesterbro. i recommened bottles from amager bryghus and herslev bryghus both are reasonable price and interesting.

go down to the kodbyen (meatpacking area) and look around.

when you eat at amass i would recommend getting a bike and riding (or walk and bus back), its interesting, there are plenty of nice house boats along the canals and the opera house is pretty cool too.

Papiroen is full of overpriced food vans but if u just take some beers out its pretty good views of the water and a fun vibe.

• 1 month later...

can anyone recommend some good clubs?  i've been studying here for about two months now and i've been a little disappointed in the clubbing scene.  i like techno and hip hop (and sometimes a little trap).  i really liked the clubbing in berlin (kit kat and about blank) and i enjoyed social club in paris, to give a reference for what i'm looking for.

Culture Box is alright for house/techno on some nights (DVS1 and Zenker brothers playing in november). Often it does kind of suck, though.
Kb18 can be a hit or miss depending on who's throwing the party - their dismantle nights are usually a good one. Kulturshot aswell.
Apart from this i feel like nightlife in Copenhagen really depends on whos playing where - and if there's any special events going in unconventional locations.
The only place that i can come to think of that's playing hiphop and the occasional trap is Rust. That place is, however, crowded with 16-year olds.