superliving: your room / closet / house / apartment

youngluc

QUIVER: 

I just moved out of H last year. I miss it. I wouldn't call it a superfuture city necessarily but it had pretty cool stuff and far less expensive than most other major cities in the US. I wasn't really a midtown guy but i used to go to the vietnamese joints in midtown, like, every weekend. Washington is less clubby now, and the lower heights-washington corridor is getting cool stuff like that DIY warehouse, catalina, cutthroat, and etc. i really liked houston because i think people were generally super nice and treat you equally whether you are an O&G douchester, OG montrose degenerate, or hunnaban hotshot surgeon.

Quiver - where are you in Midtown?  I live right across the street from Les Givral's.

I agree with Herpsky that Midtown can get kinda douchey... especially on the weekends when all the college bros dump into the area.  There's some great stuff around though... all the Viet food, Mongoose vs Cobra, Weights + Measures is dope, 13 Celsius for wine, new bar called Spare Key.  I don't even mind Little Woodrow's when it's not super packed.

My gf and I chose the area because it's super close to all the major roads which really helps for work commutes.

Don't wanna turn this into a Houston discussion thread, but yeah I feel the bro vibe you guys are talking about around here. I picked the place cos the rent's fairly affordable, and it's close to work. Guy did a good job designing it too imo.

Thanks for the tips on joints to check out. I've been playing hermit a lot cos the work crowd is older and my mates are mostly married. Trying to get more social, especially with the locals, so Layne (and herpsky if you ever venture back) just shoot us a pm for a coffee or whatever. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moved into a new apartment last weekend.  It's pretty bare-bones and stocked with dorm-esque furniture, but it works for what I need.  The view from the bedroom aint bad either:

xNwG8db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i'm sure this question has been asked before, but new answers couldn't hurt.

when you're moving to a new place, where do you guys go to first for unique and somewhat inexpensive furniture/decor? i'll have a new apartment soon and i'm very tired of the interior style around me. i need something fresh. not ikea or boconcept (though boconcept goes hard sometimes).

i'm aware of places like allmodern

Edited by uizm

• 1 month later...

yeah somewhat relative term

more expensive than ikea, like west elm price range almost

designwithinreach for that modern expensive look.

also with modern expensive pricing.*

*real answer – estate sales unless you samsung money

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40370283/

I've replaced most of my other Ikea things with nicer stuff at this point, but I own several of these and don't see a reason to ever 'upgrade'. The way they attach to the back of the desk is great and makes them more stable, they are very easy to adjust, and they come at a 'sure, why not get two more' price.

My first desk lamp when I moved out was an Artemide Tizio that I picked up from an insolvency sale, but it was difficult to adjust, got hot, used hard to find bulbs, and had a weird weighting that meant you had to be careful not to have it fall over when the arm was fully extended lengthwise. I like these dirt cheap Ikea lamps a lot more than the Artemide, which normally sells for hundreds of Euros for a new one.

do you guys have any good recommendations for desk lamps?

looking for something industrial-ish, nondescript

not so much a fan of the jielde lamps

maybe something along these lines:

416XvftRjcL.jpg

anglepoise if you're looking for the real thing

EG562 - naw, they're Ikea.  

herpsky - just next door, in Midtown. Where you?

do they still make those chairs?  can't find them at all.  in the mood to set fire to my roommates dining set.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/40370283/

I've replaced most of my other Ikea things with nicer stuff at this point, but I own several of these and don't see a reason to ever 'upgrade'. The way they attach to the back of the desk is great and makes them more stable, they are very easy to adjust, and they come at a 'sure, why not get two more' price.

My first desk lamp when I moved out was an Artemide Tizio that I picked up from an insolvency sale, but it was difficult to adjust, got hot, used hard to find bulbs, and had a weird weighting that meant you had to be careful not to have it fall over when the arm was fully extended lengthwise. I like these dirt cheap Ikea lamps a lot more than the Artemide, which normally sells for hundreds of Euros for a new one.

anglepoise if you're looking for the real thing

cheers gents

• 3 months later...

You could try having CB2 bed shipped internationally. I got one on black Friday to replace my Ikea frame (which was falling to pieces) and the quality seems great.

King was $650 USD or so (with coupon) so I'm thinking you could make your budget work.

You could try having CB2 bed shipped internationally. I got one on black Friday to replace my Ikea frame (which was falling to pieces) and the quality seems great.

King was $650 USD or so (with coupon) so I'm thinking you could make your budget work.

thanks for the heads up (and some of them look great), but international postage is in the high hundreds and makes it unaffordable for me.