Denim Blunders, Reflections and General Nonsense.

cmboland

Wish there were more than 3 places in North Carolina that does chainstitch hemming ( Centennial Trading-Winston Salem, Hudson's Hill-Greensboro, Raleigh Denim-Raleigh). You would think that because NC is home to come denim that there would be more places that sell denim and do hemming here.

I don't know if NYC has many places that do chainstitch but if they have more than 3, they're lucky. Of course, Cali probably has a million places that do it. Go figure.

Wish there were more than 3 places in North Carolina that does chainstitch hemming ( Centennial Trading-Winston Salem, Hudson's Hill-Greensboro, Raleigh Denim-Raleigh). You would think that because NC is home to come denim that there would be more places that sell denim and do hemming here.

I don't know if NYC has many places that do chainstitch but if they have more than 3, they're lucky. Of course, Cali probably has a million places that do it. Go figure.

Old North in Asheville might be able to hook you up. They pointed me to Russell Schurtz aka circle a brand to hem some jeans I got from them. I'm guessing they still collaborate, although that was 2 years ago.

Can anyone recommend a silver or metal/nickel/brass wallet chain that does not cost in excess of $1,000usd plus? Peanuts and Co is expensive at times. I'm looking to ditch my leather wallet chain for some jean jewelry.

Edited by mlwdp

Find Vitme on FB and insta, they are a thai brand and can custom make to your length etc. I have a lovely brass wallet chain from them. Cost 40 or 50 GBP shipped. Also worth checking out is Hubb leather on Instagram, UK based very reasonable prices and lots of options.

$1000 USD? There will be many metalsmiths and chain-makers on Etsy who could make you a custom chain.

At that price you could get something that's melted down and shaped from an ingot and hand-hammered.

With things like chains I think it's pointless buying from a brand. Go with a custom maker.

Random tangent, and trying not to throw shade...But what is everyone's thought on that whole "look"...You know what I mean: Tight raw denim, boots (iron rangers, oak street, or aldens), and general flannels all within that same shade/aesthetic (styleforum meets "workwear") that's all over instagram? I'm not sure the background on it; Is it a styleforum thing, something born out of instagram, Rogue Territory fandom, etc? If I'm being honest, I have to admit that I'm getting real fatigued of this same general look by every other post on instagram, which seems to have been unchanged since 2012. I know, I don't have to look/follow it and people can wear whatever they want (it doesn't matter at the end of the day), but I feel if you're into "men's fashion" as they generally claim, you should be trying to push yourself, explore new things and stop trying to fit the same mold. Total soapbox/angry old man post right now, but really, wish people would push themselves! 

Hah no worries aho, I think the whole tight jeans - workwear boots aesthetic is awful and completely unflattering. Looks like dudes trying too hard. And unfortunately you see a lot of it in NYC. But that's just my take.

I've noticed that a bit too. A lot of the fits I see on instagram all look the same and share the same characteristics you mentioned, aho. But then again, my fits are uninspiring and plain (and kind of fit that mold other than boots and tight jeans) too so I can't really complain. 

^Honestly I probably just spend too much time on social media lol...I'm certainly guilty of wearing the same thing every day (boots, loose denim, army jacket, layered denim/chambray shirts), but I want to see people get WEIRD without trying to fit in all the time. 

I tend to agree with aho, it gets super boring when you're on Instagram and you see the same thing over and over again. Not like I'm a trendsetter or anything myself. I tend to just not follow those accounts, but it shows up a lot on the explore page.

One brand that I've been into lately as far as look that pushes the boundaries for me is Timeworn Clothing and all their sub brands. While some of it is very costumey I think the overall look is pretty cool. I'd love to get my hands on some of their jeans or a denim jacket, but that would require a plane ticket to Japan most likely.

My sentiments exactly Iron Horse...Didn't want to make it a cultural thing but it's definitely a western aesthetic and I'm afraid they'll end up killing the scene. Like damn dude, how many chup socks do you have and are you the same person with multiple accounts (same cameras, same filters, same outfits)? Trying not to get heated but we're all passionate about denim so hopefully I'm not coming across as a complete ass lol. Trying to call these brothers out because we can all do better!

I tend to wear the same things all the time and I am very, very guilty of wearing too many flannel shirts. It is easy to fall into a uniform and stick with it. I don't spend much time with social media so I am probably am not as sick of seeing it and as such it doesn't particularly bother me. I very rarely see that look in real life and as far as I am concerned people can wear whatever makes them happy. That being said,  if I was being really honest, I think super skinny jeans look absolutely terrible on almost everyone, especially with huge bulky boots.  

Culture does play a part, I think. I know in the US it's hard to wear something different as a guy; your buddies will likely give you crap for it, so there's that pressure to conform to the heather grey tee-cargo shorts-and-flip flops uniform. Or, in this case the urban lumberjack uniform. Herd mentality is very real, even if we like to think of ourselves as rugged individualists. 

Whereas in Japan, well, we know all about how there have school uniforms, then graduate to put on their salary men uniforms. Meanwhile, people don't want to rock the boat too much personality-wise, so quirky and creative clothing in their free time is a great way to express oneself. 

What baffles me is how certain Western brands themselves are still stuck in 2012, not so much their followers. 

To be clear, I don't think anyone on sufu is guilty at all of this look, at least in the extreme degree I'm referring to. I do wonder how long it'll take for it to fade though? There's nothing inherently wrong with denim boots and flannels (and it's not even the flannels, so much as the tight fit and aesthetic), but theres so much more to offer out there that you'd think people would either move on or get tired of it? When you start getting 10K+ followers on insta, and start buying into this hype of like-dom, I can see why people keep it going because it reinforces that they're doing something right, or that people are accepting them. Which is why I'm finding myself wanting to push against it more and more to play devil's advocate. There's a sense of superficiality I think that bugs me the most; It reeks of trend hopping and brand whoring for likes, copying the "standard template" without truly appreciating or understanding the roots of the "movement", if you will. At the end of the day, we should all be dressing for ourselves, as an extension and expression of our own selves, and not simply a direct copy of everyone else. 

Yeah i dont follow these pages either but i often see them on the xplore. Most people really don't have good style at all, and like you said the tight jeans thing is terrible. I mean most people (guys) don't look good in tight jeans, and when you add bulky boots it makes it look even more ridiculous.

Am I crazy or is chambray and wabash not really as much of a "thing" as it used to be? Feel like a couple years ago it was pretty popular. Or maybe its just in my head....

I absolutely agree with you guys. The moc toe Red Wings and tight RGT with a flannel look is so played out and over saturated.  I honestly follow only a few denim related instagram accounts so I don't come across this as much anymore, which I am thankful for because it looks absolutely awful (IMO).

Am I crazy or is chambray and wabash not really as much of a "thing" as it used to be? Feel like a couple years ago it was pretty popular. Or maybe its just in my head....

This is an interesting point; in Japan, chambray doesn't seem to be going anywhere. It is basically a staple in most guys' wardrobes. It seems because of the hype behind chambray a few years back, a lot of guys in the West are trying to avoid it to be different? Kind of like how some guys are even ditching denim in favor of trousers all the time. Hipster effect, if you will.

Wabash lost some of its newness, but it's still out there. There's just not many new brands offering it, I think. I'll still wear my TFH wabash whenever I have the chance, though. 

I agree with Ben on the Chambray and Wabash…you see it less and less.

The slim/tight jeans look with Red Wings is really widespread on Instagram but there seems to be a shift from RGT to Shockoe Atelier lately. At least from the guys I follow. Although I am also not sure how much of those guys with 10K+ followers are sponsored by some brands.

I'm not particularly bothered by RGT and the like, I just don't like that it's more of a bland "check all the bases" type pick, than a serious consideration. You know, "It's got the skinny instagram fit, and it's also the rugged-raw, super high-quality, fade-tastic denim I read about from the comments on reddit." 

But to be honest, I think it's better than someone becoming an instant expert and dropping serious $$$ on like 2 pairs from every store on rakuten lol

Instagram has become about how many likes you can get and how many followers you can get. It is similar to how Youtube became about number of views and subscribers.

To get more like and followers, you post what is popular. When the next thing comes into fashion, it will change. For some people, it is not about posting what you want but what you think people will like (which is a bit sad).

I see no problem in wearing the same type of thing everyday, if it's your style it's your style. Styles change throughout your life of course. 

The slim/tight jeans look with Red Wings is really widespread on Instagram but there seems to be a shift from RGT to Shockoe Atelier lately. At least from the guys I follow. Although I am also not sure how much of those guys with 10K+ followers are sponsored by some brands.

i've noticed too the shift from RgT to Shockoe Atelier and even Katobrand, often from those IG users with 10K followers.

fwiw, I think the denim/boots/flannel look only represents a small microcosm of the fashion world, one which I happen to like. Yes, I do sometimes get fatigued seeing the same guys wearing nothing but RgT but likewise, there are those who are going to be brand loyal for whatever reason. what i'm aware of more than anything is that IG users are proud to wear US made/Japanese made/quality hand-made goods and that's the takeaway for me. I don't think any of them are intentionally trying to look like everyone else but are saying to the world, 'hey, I care about the companies I spend my money with and you should too."

I recently had the chance to inspect the Flathead Wabash and it was really really nice.  Very sturdy high quality.  Maybe one day I'll get one.  

I try not to hate on RgT, I have several of their pieces, but I don't get the love on IG.  I'm moving on from them as a brand, there are better stuff out there regarding price, fit and quality.  

Edited by Chubacca