TCB

To be honest I'm kind of surprised that these type 2's are so popular, I mean I havent seen one pic where the sleeves weren't clearly a couple inches too long. Even if it is on the cheaper side, the inability to wear the sleeves normally would be a huge dealbreaker for me when we're talking about a ~$160 jacket.

I also think that the body length looks way too long, but I realize that's more of a preference thing. The arms though!

To be honest I'm kind of surprised that these type 2's are so popular, I mean I havent seen one pic where the sleeves weren't clearly a couple inches too long. Even if it is on the cheaper side, the inability to wear the sleeves normally would be a huge dealbreaker for me when we're talking about a ~$160 jacket.

I also think that the body length looks way too long, but I realize that's more of a preference thing. The arms though!

They're popular because people like the fit and like the denim. Not sure what surprising about that; it's just a preference. I could say the same thing about the overweight slubfest some brands are.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm surprised that they're so popular, in spite of I would say, something like the sleeve length. I would think most people would prefer to not have to roll the sleeves up for them to fit, I know I strongly prefer that!

The weighty slubfest actually makes more sense to me. I liked iron heart a lot before because being so used to super light flimsy jeans, it was cool to feel high quality at the other end of the spectrum, super heavy. And irregularities are definitely cool too, and better than a flat denim to me, but it does get to the point where you have to look at the authenticity of it... I can understand the allure though.

Being my first denim jacket, a short cropped jacket seemed sort of foreign. And I liked that the 50s denim had the potential show a lot of character as it ages. I would guess Volvo's heavily faded jacket motivated a lot of people like me to purchase. 

Today if I had to choose just one denim jacket, I would want something shorter, but my TCB still looks good with a lot of outfits

Give it up for my man Volvo!

Agree about both the cons and pros - I definitely wouldn't have bought a denim jacket at all if it wasn't for the length. If you're a purist, you could then argue that the look is not for me, and that it kinda goes against the 'idea' of a 50s style jacket, but I have no qualms over being someone who both enjoys retro looks and modern fits.

I don't know if the posts here really constitute 'hate' though, more like a general discussion and wonder about something that, no matter our tastes, IS quite different from its peers.

Edited by Redheadbluebottom

If cuffing them really so bad? I kinda like the look, actually. My only gripe is that they get juuuust too short when I cuff once but definitely way too long if I don't.

Looks fine.   

Some guys are able to pull it off, but for my tastes taking a garment that was designed to fit a certain way with certain proportions and then simply stretching the garment lengthwise, doesn't necessarily work.  Pretty sure FC does the same thing with their jackets.  Looks a little odd at times having a long narrow body on a jacket with sleeves that are long and narrow and have to be cuffed.  

Rather than the true vintage reproduction that's so short you have no choice but to wear your shirt tucked in, and a modern take where they're simply taking that vintage design and made it longer, I'd like to see someone rework the Type I and II into something that has the basic design of the originals, but fits modern bodies and styles better.      

Edited by setterman

for me it was fate and destiny that i stumbled upon volvo's and the tcb pictures on instagram of the amazing fades of the 50's jacket.  i was blown away!  i have no idea what zimbabwe cotton was but man when i saw the shit up close and personal i was in love.  i just love the texture and feel of the cotton.  i also loved the the two pocket design of the 50 jacket.  i think that the sleeves and the body length of the jacket are long too but i learned to live with it.  embrace imperfectness!!!!   i also love the tightness of the arm sleeves of the jacket.

So heavydoom, would this jacket not work for a 6'0", 175 pound guy with short/medium length arms (34" sleeve length) and a bigger than average chest?  I'm thinking 42, 44, or wait for the Ooe  ;-)

So heavydoom, would this jacket not work for a 6'0", 175 pound guy with short/medium length arms (34" sleeve length) and a bigger than average chest?  I'm thinking 42, 44, or wait for the Ooe  ;-)

I'm 1 inch taller and probably 5-6 pounds heavier, and here's how a 42 fits on me. Pic is quick and dirty but you get the idea:

FullSizeRender_zpscsjqszwh.jpg

I'm 1 inch taller and probably 5-6 pounds heavier, and here's how a 42 fits on me. Pic is quick and dirty but you get the idea:

FullSizeRender_zpscsjqszwh.jpg

Aries, that looks great on you.  You're a touch bigger than I am and the 42 looks fine.  Any idea what your chest measurement is?  Mine

is 42-43" -- that's the area that I don't want the jacket to be tight after shrinkage.

News, TCB will be at the Selvedge Run exposition in Berlin jan 17-19 th 2017!

Our German friends will be able to check in flesh how long are the sleeves of the type II!

http://www.selvedgerun.com/post_type_brands/tcb-jeans/

I am indeed seriously considering to invade Germany for the week!

will you be around that week? I need to send the final sheet of my festival to the Italian Culture Council within jan 16th 2017.

Sounds like this wee thing may become a nice way to decompress....

that would be an extremely radical plan and indeed we shall make our best to fullfill and succeed in the jappo teutonic selvedge alcohol mission.

edited to correct typos. I recently changed my keyboard and since then I seem to type worse than Ed.

Edited by volvo240thebest