Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

I was debating over whether or not to make a new thread for this, but it fits pretty well in this, I think.

Is it possible to get a leather couch that will show wear over time, much like these wallets, belts, etc? I'm looking for one, but I really don't want to get one that is pre-worn, or one that is treated in such a way that it never shows any age.

erm im not expert on leather goods,this first nice piece that i ever invested in,its totally no thrills just a zip with card patch but i think it feels great ive used it everday since xmas including it being in my pockets while skating and it seems to be wearing well.leather is very soft,and i thought it was good for the money was only £45,i think its got plenty years left in it aswell.

i was sitting at the border coming into america from canada and i was really bored

the song "looks just like the sun" by broken social scene was playing

and i started, without thinking, scratching the word sun onto my wallet

and then by the time we got back in the land of freedom i had the whole title etched into my wallet with a word on each face of the wallet

ill try to take some pictures of it sometime

+1 on the leathergoodsconnection belt crew. I got a 1.5 inch medium brown, plain just like jubei's except with brass hardware. Its my go to belt and I know its going to age nicely and last a long time. I was surprised how stiff it was at first but its breaking in nicely now after a few weeks.

I think Im going to have him make me a wallet soon because mine is a little long in the tooth.

+1 on the leathergoodsconnection belt crew. I got a 1.5 inch medium brown, plain just like jubei's except with brass hardware. Its my go to belt and I know its going to age nicely and last a long time. I was surprised how stiff it was at first but its breaking in nicely now after a few weeks.

I think Im going to have him make me a wallet soon because mine is a little long in the tooth.

cvvtvryv_0.jpgrm.jpg

Hi again!

I tried to find any picture of my RM wallet after the last post and I've just found a picture of RM which I took on 11/July/2005, almost a year ago. Unfortunately the picture on the left was taken after sun-tanning (I somehow don't seem to have taken a picture before that), however, we could see how my wallet has changed for a year.

The silver snap button gets shinier and so does the wallet - much deeper brown. The indigo transfer from my jeans is inevitable but that's fine with me.

The only con was that I didn't like the wallet rope at all. It's so thin and used to be tangled when I was walking, so I picked up the different one from the other brand. Otherwise, I'm still chuffed with it.

cvvtvryv_0.jpgrm.jpg

Hi again!

I tried to find any picture of my RM wallet after the last post and I've just found a picture of RM which I took on 11/July/2005, almost a year ago. Unfortunately the picture on the left was taken after sun-tanning (I somehow don't seem to have taken a picture before that), however, we could see how my wallet has changed for a year.

The silver snap button gets shinier and so does the wallet - much deeper brown. The indigo transfer from my jeans is inevitable but that's fine with me.

The only con was that I didn't like the wallet rope at all. It's so thin and used to be tangled when I was walking, so I picked up the different one from the other brand. Otherwise, I'm still chuffed with it.

the indigo adds a lot of character.

my RM has been looking kinda dehydrated lately. i recently washed it with a little dr. bronners and a LOT of indigo came off (which was surprising b/c it was not all that blue). and i've been applying obenauf's LP------the leather is really thirsty; but it keeps looking all dry after a day or so. kinda frustrating. i've been reading all sorts of bad stuff about mink oil, neatsfoot and saddle soap, so i won't go near that stuff now.

the indigo adds a lot of character.

my RM has been looking kinda dehydrated lately. i recently washed it with a little dr. bronners and a LOT of indigo came off (which was surprising b/c it was not all that blue). and i've been applying obenauf's LP------the leather is really thirsty; but it keeps looking all dry after a day or so. kinda frustrating. i've been reading all sorts of bad stuff about mink oil, neatsfoot and saddle soap, so i won't go near that stuff now.

cvvtvryv_0.jpgrm.jpg

Hi again!

Hi Naoto, glad to see you overhere:D

cheers

Dave

P.S: Very nice wallet, but I already told you before...

cvvtvryv_0.jpgrm.jpg

Hi again!

cheers

Dave

i've been reading all sorts of bad stuff about mink oil, neatsfoot and saddle soap, so i won't go near that stuff now.

I've been using mink oil over the years, but I personally haven't got any problems at all so far.:eek:

But then again, I only use a very, very small amount (this is very important!) of it when the wallet is really dry - probably once a year. I've heard that too much and too often "oiling" could change the colour of leather completely or even worse the quality of leather though.

Seeing is believing, my Silverman had mink oil twice before, but no problem at all.

i've been reading all sorts of bad stuff about mink oil, neatsfoot and saddle soap, so i won't go near that stuff now.

I've been using mink oil over the years, but I personally haven't got any problems at all so far.:eek:

But then again, I only use a very, very small amount (this is very important!) of it when the wallet is really dry - probably once a year. I've heard that too much and too often "oiling" could change the colour of leather completely or even worse the quality of leather though.

Seeing is believing, my Silverman had mink oil twice before, but no problem at all.

Hiya! Good evening!

I'll stick to my wallet another year or two at least. Then....god only knows! When I go back to Tokyo, I'm sure I'm gnona want to buy a new wallet.....:confused:

I think I'll buy a black wallet next for change.

Hiya! Good evening!

I'll stick to my wallet another year or two at least. Then....god only knows! When I go back to Tokyo, I'm sure I'm gnona want to buy a new wallet.....:confused:

I think I'll buy a black wallet next for change.

I think that what I like about RM is their natural leather tan, it makes them special IMO...

Yes, natural (saddle in RM) colour is the best choice if you want to enjoy to see its aging process. However, my friend showed me his black RM wallet and it made me "slightly" change my mind. His also looked cool:cool:! And he said that he didn't have to worry about any dirt or water stains, which I understand:p.

I'll have to win a lottery.....

I think that what I like about RM is their natural leather tan, it makes them special IMO...

Yes, natural (saddle in RM) colour is the best choice if you want to enjoy to see its aging process. However, my friend showed me his black RM wallet and it made me "slightly" change my mind. His also looked cool:cool:! And he said that he didn't have to worry about any dirt or water stains, which I understand:p.

I have to win too....would surely take a trip to Tokyo....:D