Ask an Apple Nerd.

variegate

Yeah you can put an sd card in a computer.

1) I got the camera connection kit to dump pics onto the iPad and clear space on the sd card when I'm on the road

2) the pics, no matter what format, transfer to the iPad successfully

3) they then go to their own folder. Different transfers create a new folder every time so if you load 3 sets of pics, you'll get 3 import events. They are not stored in the "camera roll" that all other iPad pics, screenshots, and photostream access.

4) when plugging the iPad into a Mac, a pc, your grandma, or any other device ALL of them only recognize the camera roll (default) folder, even when trying to look at the iPad as an external drive rather than through iTunes. I am looking for a way to find the other folders/pics.

5) so far, the only way I can retrieve the pictures is to individually email them.

6) I'm assuming apple thought this through when they released the card reader and that there's some sort of solution.

7) fuck it, this is pointless

great advice apple nerd

I mean you're SOL because Apple doesn't make iPhoto for Windows. Using an Apple iPad with a Windows machine means that in some aspects you will have a lesser experience than you would with a Mac. Their software apps/OS are designed to work together.

On a Mac you should be able pull everything off via iPhoto.

I'm not even 100% sure that anything would show up in iPhoto - but i find it likely.Can you create another folder on the iPad, move pictures to it and get that to be viewable on Windows?

The camera connection kit's purpose is to remove the need for a desktop computer/laptop - which is part of why it might not work as smoothly on a PC. It was designed for people who don't have a camera - not a temporary JPG dump.

Honestly, there are cheaper options made especially for dumping memory cards.

Unfortunately, part of the iPad's design is to hide away the file structure from the user - which is part of why it's difficult to find where things are stored.

did apple deliberately block Android from syncing with iPhoto?

1. "Android" is on your phone - so it would be a second piece of software on your Mac that would sync the photos.

2. No idea. If possible, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort for Google since they want you on the internet looking at their ads.

I dont know how/if Android syncs and I doubt it syncs with anythign that isnt Google-owned - right?

They probably dont care about photosyncing to anything they dont own.

fuck apple, overpriced there accosories, made them shitty so they break and u have to keep coming back for more, I worked @ a apple store for a year doing stock, i got stories for days, u got dudes making 12 dollars an hour ready to take a bullet for steve jobs, that said, my 2007 macbook pro is still going strong, although Ive had to replace some fans/screen/HD's

for batteries and chargers 3rd party are fine, ebay is your friend

lmao thanks for this. i do tech support for my company and some of these are spot on

the worst is when i get an old man telling me his lifestory of 30+ years in the business because i solved his issue over the phone in a heartbeat. not that i dont respect them, but technology evolves; whatever they knew back then is utterly irrelevant now.

no hate blm14, i know youre quite an old bart too

I'm installing my developer preview now, any thoughts?

I hope you don't have important data. ;)

However, their betas are generally pretty stable.

i wanna buy another macbook charger to leave at my studio. i'm already swinging 17" everyday, gotta reduce weight any way i can.

thoughts on third-party (ebay et al.) charger or should pay up, shut up for genuine?

Since I don't think Apple' licenses chargers/batteries for 3rd party - they're probably Chinese knockoffs which don't have to go through the same safety/quality inspections.

I wouldn't buy 3rd party. They're not that outrageous - I had two. Definitely very convenient.

This thread is like

hey apple guy blah blah blah

apple guy: hmm, dunno, works pretty good on a mac. are you using windows? that's probably what's wrong

Isn't that the general rule for tech support everywhere?

That it's probably 'their' fault - not yours?

Maybe I should change the thread title to 'Ask an Apple nerd anything except about things that aren't related to Apple'?

Isn't that the general rule for tech support everywhere?

That it's probably 'their' fault - not yours?

So true. Just last week I had to do a 5-way conference call between me, my boss, a SCSI controller card manufacturer, a RAID enclosure manufacturer, and our backup software vendor because they all kept saying that it was each others fault when I called them individually.

The call lasted almost 3 hours, and it turns out that the problem is probably the CABLE manufacturer's problem. ARGH!

Yeah you can put an sd card in a computer.

1) I got the camera connection kit to dump pics onto the iPad and clear space on the sd card when I'm on the road

2) the pics, no matter what format, transfer to the iPad successfully

3) they then go to their own folder. Different transfers create a new folder every time so if you load 3 sets of pics, you'll get 3 import events. They are not stored in the "camera roll" that all other iPad pics, screenshots, and photostream access.

4) when plugging the iPad into a Mac, a pc, your grandma, or any other device ALL of them only recognize the camera roll (default) folder, even when trying to look at the iPad as an external drive rather than through iTunes. I am looking for a way to find the other folders/pics.

5) so far, the only way I can retrieve the pictures is to individually email them.

6) I'm assuming apple thought this through when they released the card reader and that there's some sort of solution.

7) fuck it, this is pointless

Happened across a solution:

Install Dropbox on your iPad (https://www.dropbox.com/)

Use the in app signup (if you dont have an account already)

Install on your PC

On your iPad, import images into Dropbox and patiently wait for them to sync up to the web and back down to your PC.

This won't be fast - but it will work.

My top reasons to buy 'the new iPad':

- You want to present work on your iPad (such as Photography/design, etc)

- you have kinda bad eyesight and you'd love an improved screen

- you're a hardcore iPad gamer and you want a beautiful-er screen and more 3D power

- you've been waiting to buy one—just do it

I plan on getting one sometime this year for presenting design work, trips, couch web-surfing, etc.

Does it look different from the 2? If it doesn't look different, nobody will know that you have the newest one.

they'll know when they see the retina display. but on the outside, no. no one will know you have the new one

--

which ever iPad I get though, I plan on using for taking notes in school, surfing the web and maybe streaming movies

would i be using it enough to constitute $500?

if i can't find an iPad 2 for $300 though, then i'll definitely cop the 'new iPad'

Happened across a solution:

Install Dropbox on your iPad (https://www.dropbox.com/)

Use the in app signup (if you dont have an account already)

Install on your PC

On your iPad, import images into Dropbox and patiently wait for them to sync up to the web and back down to your PC.

This won't be fast - but it will work.

thanks. figured out that once they load on the ipad, you have to select them all and create a new folder. the new folder is recognized by icloud, etc. strange that the extra step is involved but w/e.

i have a macbook pro 2.2ghz i7 i bought sometime in august - sometimes it says it has No battery and won't work without the charger, but sometimes it will be completely fine. happens in between sleeping or just starting up. tried googling some solutions to it, but nothing seems consistent. halp

Is it the original charger??

I have used an older one and it didn't top it up to full.

And it ran out pretty quickly..

If that's not the case let the battery be tested at the Apple store.

It should last longer than six months and I think they will give a new one if the problem is measurable.

i have a macbook pro 2.2ghz i7 i bought sometime in august - sometimes it says it has No battery and won't work without the charger, but sometimes it will be completely fine. happens in between sleeping or just starting up. tried googling some solutions to it, but nothing seems consistent. halp

Follow the directions on this page to reset the PMU. (yours is a non-removeable, so follow the second set or directions)

This might help . . . if not - you've got an internal battery or deeper PMU issue and it'll have to be Genius-level support. :/

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964?viewlocale=en_us&locale=en_us

When is the official date that they turn off iDisk?

When is the official date that they turn off iDisk?

On or about June 20th.

Dropbox is a great replacement. Actually, it's way better than iDisk.

Apple even attempted to buy them at some point. (they refused)

Referral link to sign up: http://db.tt/htkcxa0

My budget is roughly 6k, would a maxed out iMac be better for 1080p video rendering and hardcore photoshopping or would a middle class Mac Pro set up ? Also is it worth it to wait for the next revisions with the Ivy Bridge set ups ?

Depends on what software package you're planning to use.

Avid/FCP7/Premiere support hardware acceleration cards. If you are going to use a card - get a Mac Pro.

Otherwise, buy the fastest iMac with the SSD and 2TB harddrive.

Skip the RAM and buy that for significantly less aftermarket (just dont get the cheap stuff)

Ivy Bridge is still a couple months off, it seems. Depends on your timeline.

Photoshop will SCREAM with an SSD as your main drive and scratch disk.

Mac Pro. Especially since there are rumblings that apple is going to discontinue them.

This won't happen. At least, not yet.

Too many people still rely on them.

The next revision may be the last, however.

Thunderbolt is removing the need for internal slot upgrades.

hi, i need to ask something. somehow i can't open any pdf file in my iphone 4.The ibook itself refuse to open. it stated something is wrong with the configuration. try to delete and download a new one yet it doesn't do any good. any idea? do i really need to restore my phone?