Movies that people like but which actually suck aka "classics" that shouldn't be classics

okonomi

Man I agree with that actually. Princess Mononoke and Kiki's Delivery Service too.

Conversely, how come nobody ever talks about Pom Poko? That's my second favourite Ghibli after Spirited Away for sure.

Edit: New contribution: Coen Brothers (excluding No Country and O Brother). Jesus those guys are boring.

Edited by okonomi

i think blood simple is really good, and i like the man who knew too much. i think the rest of their stuff is fairly average/above but i feel like they are good because their mainstream films can/do appeal to even a non mainstream audience, and there's probably something i liked a lot in each of their films even if not as a whole. whereas michael mann and christopher nolan have probably made like 3 good films combined (and heat isn't one of them).

Edited by mass

I haven't seen Blood Simple to be fair. I don't especially dislike their stuff, I just find them so mediocre, loaded with uninteresting characters, etc. Like Fargo is lauded as an all time great for being some kind of 'different' crime movie, but to me it's only different cause it wasn't tense or compelling like other crime movies. But on the flip side it wasn't funny or interesting either. Same goes with most of what I've seen them make.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^^ that movie is so bad, not even god forgave making it.  plodding, terrible pacing and just a completely discontinuous storyline and character development. plus, i was promised more muay boran / muay thai. 

what you said above is correct, but it doesn't stop me being in awe of the visuals here. but tbh I ain't watched too many movies, so when somethin different comes along it usually tickles my fancy.

what you said above is correct, but it doesn't stop me being in awe of the visuals here. but tbh I ain't watched too many movies, so when somethin different comes along it usually tickles my fancy.

i mean if you like weird looking shit that doesn't come together, jodorowsky's holy mountain / el topo or noé's enter the void