let knowledge tenderly caress you �or� bringing knowledge and wisdom to the victims

chiming in on that bullet thing: the bullet dropped has only vertical velocity, and no horizontal velocity, while the bullet fired has both horizontal and vertical velocity. since gravity acts on both equally (assuming the mass of the bullets are the same), they have the same vertical falling velocities so even though the bullet fired is also traveling horizontally, that will not affect the vertical velocity so they will hit the ground at the same time. (wikipedia projectile motion for a quantitative explanation)

ultra nerd shit, this concept was first used by archimedes to increase the accuracy of launched projectiles to defend his city against foreign invaders

this.

come on. thats like physics 101 shit. you learn that in the 6th grade.

This is the most personally relevant video in this entire thread. To give you an idea, the video is ~60 minutes, and I immediately watched it back to back.

This excerpt, "If we could just convince a lot of people of just that simple thing, that the universe is the way it is, whether we like it or not, I think we'd overcome a lot of problems in this country." (reference to Big Bang theory) is an idea I've been wrestling with for quite some time now. Not because of an inability to conceive such a fact, but because of my religious friends' inability to do so. I don't mean to disprove my friends, but rather to convince them that it is possible. With that said, I was never able to come up with a viable theory as to how an event could have happened; how we could have gotten something from nothing. This video does an amazing job trying to explain this.

Excellent video brohymn, will rep.

7ImvlS8PLIo

This is the most personally relevant video in this entire thread. To give you an idea, the video is ~60 minutes, and I immediately watched it back to back.

This excerpt, "If we could just convince a lot of people of just that simple thing, that the universe is the way it is, whether we like it or not, I think we'd overcome a lot of problems in this country." (reference to Big Bang theory) is an idea I've been wrestling with for quite some time now. Not because of an inability to conceive such a fact, but because of my religious friends' inability to do so. I don't mean to disprove my friends, but rather to convince them that it is possible. With that said, I was never able to come up with a viable theory as to how an event could have happened; how we could have gotten something from nothing. This video does an amazing job trying to explain this.

Excellent video brohymn, will rep.

The sentences you quoted are words that immediately struck me when I watched that video last week. For so much of the US (and the world) the big bang and evolution are scoffed at or denied (with no education about or understanding of what is being said or explained). "I don't believe in evolution". Well, it doesn't matter whether you believe in it or not, it happened.

It makes me wonder how different a world this could be if people had the understanding that everything on this planet is related and interconnected, we're all in it together, and right now is all we've got. Rather than an us vs. them "my reward awaits me in heaven" attitude.

Just went through this whole thing. Life affirming shit.

Don't know if anybody gets down with Chris Hitchens. He is def a drunken wind bag but I always enjoy hearing him speak. Never seen anybody even come close to getting the upper hand on him.

VS. a Fundamentalist "scientist":

TmxAGhC-gLU

and an anti-war Atheist:

GBxj-uhKx4I

this is fucking bananas

If the findings are proven to be accurate, they would overturn one of the pillars of the Standard Model of physics, which explains the way the universe and everything within it works...Proof that something had travelled faster would pose major questions about our understanding of the laws of nature because, for example, something that travels faster than light would in theory arrive before it left.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8783011/Speed-of-light-broken-by-scientists.html

the current model of physics is already "flawed" why do you think quantum physics exists in the first place?

dark matter? yeah sure. classical physics explains how the universe works except at the atomic/subatomic level.

makes more sense to me to rewrite the theory rather than make new physics to make it "work" dont ya think? sensationalism at its best was the tsunamis that were gonna hit california after the 3/11

the current model of physics is already "flawed" why do you think quantum physics exists in the first place?

dark matter? yeah sure. classical physics explains how the universe works except at the atomic/subatomic level.

Huh? What? Special Relativity and String Theory are the two pillars of the current model of physics dude. I'm not saying they won't collapse, but at least reproduce your results and ponder the implications. Pop sci shit.

Yeah. Upon further reading, one particle arrived there 60 billionths of a second before light did. I imagine it's a rounding error :(

somewhere in one of those articles it says that their error calculations came up to around 10 nanoseconds. so their result is statistically significant.

If science is published in an even half-decent (impact factor 2+) peer-reviewed journal, you can be fairly sure that the results described are not statistical anomalies.

Didn't some physicists already transmit a photon "faster than the speed of light" through liquid helium several years ago?