Denim Repair

obsessis

if you still think sewing is unmanyl think about all of the stitches male doctors have to sew up...

nothing unmanly about having to sew a person's flesh back together after they get sliced open.

and they use all of the same stitch patterns that tailors use... different thread and needles, obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

_MG_3932.jpg

_MG_3935.jpg

This afternoon I went to union square, S.F Tailor which entrance is next to a Nut house. They repaired my Jin! Thanks to Kiya point out this tailor shop in one of the thread. If they have the union special machine in there, then it will be all good!

sewing unmanly? there is nothing more manly than being able to do shit yourself, and not having to rely on others.

word. the art of sewing is without question a skill that every man should have, especially if he fancies himself a denimhead. if you wear them, they will bust in @least the areas of maximum wear. theres nothing wrong with getting a person of admirable skill to repair your jeans, but to say that men tailoring is effeminate is just playing yourself. yamane is a tailor first, "fashion mogul" secondly. now that the inside pocket-corners are ripped, and the inner seams are failing, the bit of red tab that was left from noriko's surgery has come out. now i need to search for some red all-cotton thread( i hate nylon-core) and fix em' up, i dont know whether to get some matching brown thread, and just make em like new, or cut a piece of denim with selvage into a tab, and sew that on. the pocket isnt about to fall off, but an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure...

• 2 weeks later...

Pair of Nudies are starting to get some crotch damage and I'd like to repair it preemptively before it gets too bad.

As you can see the in the pictures the stitching on the inside has worn through and the denim is starting to wear thin. As a reslt of the busted stitching the seam is starting to come undone out the outside. Are these all things I can fix or do I need to go to a tailor? I'm in DC/Boston so if anyone could recommend a good shop in either of those areas I'd appreciate it.

split1.JPG

split2.JPG

What type of thread do y'all recommend. I have been looking for some relatively thick thread to do some repairs, but can't really find any yellow/orange thread that closely matches most denim stitching.

What type of thread do y'all recommend. I have been looking for some relatively thick thread to do some repairs, but can't really find any yellow/orange thread that closely matches most denim stitching.

Pretty sure there has been some discussion of thread sizes/guages somewhere but can't find it. From what I recall depending on the part of the jean a different thread size is used so for example pocket stiching is thinner than elsewhere, anyone remember this?

I got an impending crotch blowout on my nudies as well, but since my jeans are black, I'm just gonna tell my mom to sew on a piece of denim underneath on the inside with some black thread. Either that or whatever my mom suggests is the most discrete. Since my mom used to be a tailor, I trust her, I'll post pics when it's done.

I got an impending crotch blowout on my nudies as well, but since my jeans are black, I'm just gonna tell my mom to sew on a piece of denim underneath on the inside with some black thread. Either that or whatever my mom suggests is the most discrete. Since my mom used to be a tailor, I trust her, I'll post pics when it's done.

If your mom did a great job, get your mom a union special machine. Then she can have a business herself.;)

i just got my omnigods back from hollywood trading co.

they fixed my back pockets and my crotch which were coming apart.

top row is befores, bottom row is afters:

IMG_1387.jpg

before...

IMG_1182.jpg

...and after.

IMG_1379.jpg

before and after:

IMG_1390.jpg

and before and after:

IMG_1392.jpg

now -- the crotch seam is nice and clean again:

IMG_1391.jpg

now -- pockets have no holes...

IMG_1396.jpg

...and are reinforced and ready for more abuse.

IMG_1383.jpg

i think they did a great job, and at a reasonable price. very happy right now and looking forward to wearing these again. but not until the sufu contest is over, i guess.