Cars/General Automotive ruined my life.

tsxser

going to be moving to colorado in a year and wanted to get a subaru impreza wagon. i'm down with an '04-07' outback sport, but is it unrealistic to think i might be able to find a wrx that hasn't been beat on and modded? i love the sound of the unequal length headers and more power is always nice. if you don't hammer a wrx is it a reliable car? seems like the only extra thing to worry about over a regular 2.5i outback sport would be the turbo but if i'm not much of a modder or able to work on the car myself, is it more trouble than it's worth? how many miles does the turbo last and how costly a repair is it?

I've had a 2009 WRX (bought new) and still driving it. Put about $2-3k over the last year when the Chicago salt and snows ate up bits of the drivetrain but I've got 70k on her and she's still driving well. Put in three cross-country road trips on it and overall reliable. Dunno if you're ever gonna get a non-modded WRX used, lol.

heh, yea. wishful thinking. there's gotta be a few in california! the outback sport still has a decent option package and power at 173hp, so i don't really mind going with one of those, but i plan on keeping next car for a long time so there's that voice in the back of my mind saying 'treat yoself' with a modern classic. 

that's something i'm going to have to prepare for and get used to. all the wear and tear to look out for with snow.

Edited by Rob060

• 1 month later...

would jump on this if the heathen didn't get his performance car with an auto trans. why that was even allowed on the wrx is beyond me.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5783631674.html

can't see the pics, but when i was born my parents owned a 1980 GL. Now they have a forester.

i'm checking out a 2006 outback sport this weekend that has only 85k miles on it and, from pics, looks clean as fuck. it's the color i want and it's the special edition, so it's got all the options i want, like the leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, 260w sound system with subwoofer, rear spoiler, roof rack, trunk/bumper liner.

not the exact car, but the same configuration.

29106197974_8b49292fab_b.jpg29651660131_13150f3de8_b.jpg29106198444_a9e44d3d2b_b.jpg

Edited by Rob060

• 2 weeks later...

here's mine. dipped the wheels because they're a bit corroded and ugly. keeping my eye out on the community forums and craigslist for some cheap oem replacements. missed out on some '05 wrx rims because i was too broke at the time after registration and insurance. just got the tint and it's still curing. put in a panasonic FH-X730BT double din head unit, for bluetooth, aux, usb etc. the speakers are pretty nice in the special edition; 6 speakers and a sub under the driver's seat.

after i get the timing belt + water pump and 90k mile service done i'll look into improving the suspension with a rear sway bar, as well as struts and springs. kyp gr2 struts with swift springs seem to be a reliable combo.

29410594323_a9be91ba3a_h.jpg

Edited by Rob060

I think you're on the right track. I had koni inserts on swifts.They were great but the install took forever. Honestly, before doing a rear sway I'd do the fender reinforcement. The front pushes more than the rear needs to slide in my opinion. And save your beans for a set of 04 STi wheels or have a set of 05-07's redrilled. Super light and a classic style.

the 10-spoke bbs wheels? yea, those would be nice. 

what fender reinforcement are you talking about? after searching around, i never knew fender braces were a thing. never heard of that. interesting.

Edited by Rob060

cool. looks easy enough to install myself and cheaper than a sway bar. they're listed for wrx and sti, but i'm assuming there's nothing changed with the regular 2.5i wagon/outback sport. looks like it would be easier with the sedan fender flares but watched a video where they installed on a wagon without removing or pulling the fender back.

Edited by Rob060

• 2 weeks later...

sufu what wheels should I buy? 

19" BBS CH-R in titanium?

reference 

11371039_1631176033838015_83480568_n.jpg

or Advan TCIII in 18"? My car looks like the above pic

940301d1432691669-yokohama-advan-tciii-1

problem is these shits are not in stock in silver which is way better looking than the gunmetal. It's cool but idk about rocking black on black again. not enough mascara atop my dresser.

please to help me not be azn boi socal rice pose, but also not pleated dockers fake euro youth.

I would go BBS in polished silver or titanium.

Looks better on a Cayman than wheels with more flat blade design IMO.

• 1 month later...

been a while. updated my garage a bit. well lack of garage really

Those are all yours? Such a diverse group of cars.

Is that a late 70's Celica?  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...