The Luggage Thread

M4TM

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a great weekender bag in pebbled brown leather. I love it, but the little plastic piece that slides under the liner at the bottom has gotten folded and lost its strength. So, the bottom of the bag no longer keeps its shape when loaded.

Does this make sense? Do you know what I'm talking about? I could make an MS paint picture if it's not clear.

Anyways, if you guys know what I'm getting at -- 1) what is this thing called, and 2) where can I get a replacement?

call up the manufacturer

Yeah, I got it at Les Ailes De La Mode in Montreal. It was a private-label type thing -- and nobody there seems to be able to tell me who the manufacturer was or where a replacement for this might be found.

Anyone have any idea what this part is called, so that I could try searching for a replacement? (Again, we're talking about the plastic thing that's inserted along the bottom to give the bottom structure/strength.

• 1 month later...

Not too sure where to post this I'm looking for 2 types of travelling bags. I'm horrible with bag terminology so here it goes:

- Hand and/or shoulder carry for on-board

- Bag to check-in preferably one with rolling wheels and a sliding handle

What do you recommend? Samsonite? Headporter?

I am open to pretty much any design recommended but I prefer something with quality rather than brand bashing like LV, Gucci etc

So far I've been recommended Filson and Rimowa.

Where's a good place to cop a well priced (under RRP) and brand new Filson / Rimowa?

+1 for rimowa.

No idea where to kop new on the cheap but they seem easy to get new or secondhand in near new / used condition on ebay.

I'd have bought one already but proxying/shipping to aus seems a bit crazy.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not too sure where to post this I'm looking for 2 types of travelling bags. I'm horrible with bag terminology so here it goes:

- Hand and/or shoulder carry for on-board

- Bag to check-in preferably one with rolling wheels and a sliding handle

What do you recommend? Samsonite? Headporter?

I am open to pretty much any design recommended but I prefer something with quality rather than brand bashing like LV, Gucci etc

So far I've been recommended Filson and Rimowa.

Where's a good place to cop a well priced (under RRP) and brand new Filson / Rimowa?

If you travel a lot Briggs&Riley is basically the only brand you should use. Otherwise go for what you like design wise.

• 7 months later...

I still use a Muji rolling ballistic nylon plastic hard case, I now have 3, all black and matching, and might get one or two more since I'm moving again. I've had one since summer last year and put like 50,000 miles on it in a year, still rolls perfectly and has rolled across miles of uneven pavement in Seoul, HK, NYC, LA, Tokyo, and other places. Costs a quarter of the Rimowas, recommended if you can get one.

522302_10101124873286870_1457214024_n.jpg

Muji one looks good but looking at UK pricing that isn't too far off a Rimowa! Worth noting it is far cheaper to purchase Rimowas from Germany than the US and even Asia, giving you a decent 25% saving in some instances, even when you factor in shipping. Yes you do pay for the label/badge, but the quality is there. I've had the black one for over four years and it's been on many many trips, survived the rough uneven cobbled streets of Europe etc. It only has a few scuffs and scratches, everything is still in great condition. The topas only two years, but that's a carry-on anyway. The missus' has already taken hers to China, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Europe, so far so good.

I will say, whichever case you go for from whatever manufacturer, multi-wheels are the way forward. People say they're more exposed and prone to breaking off, not true, had zero problems with mine.