hannam and itaewon's the shit these days

#2162 ruach

ruach

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,194 posts
  • joined 21 march 06

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Can anyone suggest any hotels/motels in the Hapjeong/Hongdae area? Ideally something that can be booked online. I have seen a few hotel discussions in this thread before but don't think I have seen anything about the area.

#2163 dismalfuture

dismalfuture

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • joined 07 may 06
  • talents:i don't have a life beyond supertalk.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

how much do you want to spend? I like the Namgyung hotel (there's two, one is newer and one is much, much older and cheaper, forget the old one), it's behind another hotel, a little in off the street in Hapjeong right before you hit the bridge. Probably the best(?) in Hapjeong, the rest were all pretty seedy/cheesy looking.
There are a bunch of love hotels in Shinchon for a bit cheaper, or the same price. I'd rather just stay up there. The rooms are all really small, some have interesting bathrooms and stuff though.

#2164 abracadabra

abracadabra

super

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • joined 30 may 12
  • talents:time travel

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

i need to move. any suggestions besides itaewon or hongdae area?

#2165 ruach

ruach

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,194 posts
  • joined 21 march 06

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

how much do you want to spend? I like the Namgyung hotel (there's two, one is newer and one is much, much older and cheaper, forget the old one), it's behind another hotel, a little in off the street in Hapjeong right before you hit the bridge. Probably the best(?) in Hapjeong, the rest were all pretty seedy/cheesy looking.
There are a bunch of love hotels in Shinchon for a bit cheaper, or the same price. I'd rather just stay up there. The rooms are all really small, some have interesting bathrooms and stuff though.

Probably looking to spend around 3man so love motels will be the way to go. Just scouting places out for friends to stay. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned. Thanks!

For dirt cheap options, the owner of Yogiga Gallery just opened a guest house in Mangwon. 10,000won per day. https://www.facebook...91849090866264/

Edited by ruach, 08 June 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#2166 chase

chase

semibored

• Pip
  • 64 posts
  • joined 05 september 04
  • style:old skool
  • attitude:obsessed
  • biography:www.wikichichi.com
  • wish i was in:tokyo
  • talents:wikichichi.tumblr.com
  • denim:size 31

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

Isn't there a CDG in Itaewon?

yes... right down the hill from the Leeum museum...
I am a registered tour guide in Singapore. If you like to see the real Singapore, drop me a message @ info@wikichichi.com.
http://wikichichi.tumblr.com

#2167 dismalfuture

dismalfuture

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Probably looking to spend around 3man so love motels will be the way to go. Just scouting places out for friends to stay. I'll have to check out the one you mentioned. Thanks!

For dirt cheap options, the owner of Yogiga Gallery just opened a guest house in Mangwon. 10,000won per day. https://www.facebook...91849090866264/

30 thou is strictly yuhgwan on an off day status... aren't gonna find much with '-tel' in the name in Korea for 30k a day.

#2168 Leeacto

Leeacto

superbored

• Pip
  • 899 posts
  • joined 05 february 07

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

http://www.kimsguesthouse.com/

I stayed here when I was in Seoul. It's in Hapjeong and about 10min walk from Hapjeon stn

I was in a 8 person bunk room, and it was fun. I thought it was great, and it was mad cheap. Like 17000W a night. I suggest it

#2169 home

home

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,884 posts
  • joined 14 june 06

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

basic question here, but what's the cost of living like in seoul, say compared with tokyo?

#2170 dismalfuture

dismalfuture

postwhore

• 11,389 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

you can do Seoul for less than half of Tokyo, all things considered. Just gotta stay away from some obvious yet way overpriced things in Korea if you're trying to see a dollar to dollar experiment; it's still years from leveling out and becoming a 'normal' place, it's not matured in many facets yet, things you take for granted are quite expensive in Seoul.

#2171 dismalfuture

dismalfuture

postwhore

• 11,389 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Just got back from Seoul, still astounding how much it develops even to this day. I was gone for like 4 months and whole neighborhoods have changed, that back street in Itaewon with all the restaurants is crazy now. You get the feeling that they've barely even started. Wish I could be in on some of the money making developments there, but it's hard to get in amongst all the Koreans.

#2172 gaijin44

gaijin44

scammer phuaec

• banned
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • joined 15 june 12
  • style:none
  • attitude:none

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

I've never eaten Korean food before, Because I do not like eating vegetables

I just want to know whether it had a good taste?

#2173 beatplusmelody

beatplusmelody

bored

• Pip
  • 190 posts
  • joined 05 september 10
  • wish i was in:space

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

basic question here, but what's the cost of living like in seoul, say compared with tokyo?

$1 train rides anywhere basically.
$10 all you can eat Korean BBQ at any time of the day.
$3 Soju/Hite combo gets you fucked.
$4 for a latte.
Cabs are a joke how cheap they are.

Problem is shopping 24/7.

Lived in seoul for a month. Barely touched my budget. Should have stayed longer. Went to Tokyo for a month and blew it all.

Edited by beatplusmelody, 16 June 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#2174 ruach

ruach

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,194 posts
  • joined 21 march 06

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

yesss

#2175 z-axis

z-axis

bored

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • joined 21 august 10

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Flying in to Seoul on Tuesday for a week's holiday. I'm a total googlemaps nerd, and coupled with the smartphone I'm renting, I thought a custom map should save tons of time.

If anyone's interested, it's here. just saying beforehand though, it's super subjective and no where near exhaustive. I've probably missed tons of cool traditional shit, but that sightseeing conveyor belt approach isn't my thing. The map is mostly comprised of bookstores/galleries/cafes/fashunz that were collated off the net and seemed interesting.

Any wrong locations/feedback/essential additions, get at me, I'd be really appreciative
Also if there's anyone on for sinking a few beers, especially friday/saturday let me know!

Edited by z-axis, 25 June 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#2176 dismalfuture

dismalfuture

postwhore

• 11,389 posts
  • joined 07 may 06

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:15 PM

I think Daily Projects is closed. Haven't been in years but it closed long ago (I think end of 2008) and never seemed to open back up. Don't know about Addicted either, that's a name I haven't heard in years. Expect a lot of your list to be that way, as it looks to be niche/indie and those things last about a year in Seoul. You will probably be interested in Platoon Kunsthalle and maybe Heyri Art village.

#2177 ruach

ruach

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,194 posts
  • joined 21 march 06

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

I visited Daily Projects maybe in 2011 or so. It was pretty dea/uninteresting, but still open. No idea if things have changed further since then.

There is a new A Land in Hongdae that is three or four stories. I haven't been inside but everytime I walk by it is rather happening. Could be worth checking out.

Edited by ruach, 26 June 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#2178 z-axis

z-axis

bored

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • joined 21 august 10

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Locations all checked. addicted and daily projects still there, the former probably being the best store I went to, has some really nice european designers.

Added a few venues for catching up and coming korean indie bands. The club scene there was cringecentral. went to hongdae last friday, every single joint was putting out mainstream US RnB hits. This was inamongst american GIs hollering and highfiving at every opportunity and all the korean college chicks dressing like they were on the game.

#2179 chin.lamb

chin.lamb

bored

• Pip
  • 44 posts
  • joined 08 october 08
  • talents:money chin

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

anyone going to be at Jisan Valley Rock Festival from 7/27 to 7/29??
"Hope, like greed, fuel the engine of capitalism"
- Ronald Wright

#2180 yoda91

yoda91

super

• Pip
  • 141 posts
  • joined 22 december 11
  • style:rough trade
  • attitude:chilled
  • biography:yongyeng.tumblr.com

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

hows the price at 10 corso como like? expensive?

#2181 sarang hae

sarang hae

semibored

• Pip
  • 669 posts
  • joined 07 november 07
  • style:oriental
  • attitude:desperate
  • wish i was in:gangnam prefecture township

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

if you have to ask, then it probably is (for you)

#2182 ruach

ruach

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,194 posts
  • joined 21 march 06

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Does anyone know if there is a store selling REN skincare products in Seoul?

#2183 triumph.man

triumph.man

superbored

• Pip
  • 401 posts
  • joined 21 january 10

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

I will be travelling to Seoul tomorrow, for 2 weeks. Any recommendations on where to shop?
I am looking for some cool jeans: popular brand
I sized down 6 on my new standards (I can button them up with alot of effort)

#2184 IWishIWasADino

IWishIWasADino

bored

• Pip
  • 151 posts
  • joined 02 august 11

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

Sooo... I need some help. I'm planning to visit Seoul for a month-ish (5 weeks?) this November and I need help looking for a cheap place. I do have relatives who live in Daejeon, but living with them will mean a 2-3 hour bus ride or a 1.5 hour train ride every time I want to go to Seoul. So I'm looking for a cheap and tiny place with a clean bathroom (this is a must, I have a phobia of dirty bathrooms... and no it's not a real phobia QQ). Also, apart from the flight fee, how much money should I be taking with me? I don't plan on buying clothes and crap; just food and drinks, which I hear is very cheap in Korea.
Oh and I also have a friend in Seoul who will let me stay a few nights every other week while I'm there. So I'm not necessarily looking for a place I have to rent for one whole month. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thankies~

:(, I killed the thread.

Edited by IWishIWasADino, 30 September 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#2185 abracadabra

abracadabra

super

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • joined 30 may 12

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

^ in terms of money its really up to you. you can spend like $5 for a meal of kimbap or jjigae. meat is more expensive, obviously, but thats usually around $10-12, and with beer and soju and whatnot its probably $18-20.

in terms of a place to stay, some hostels offer discounts on monthly rates. i wouldn't stay at a 고시텔.

Edited by abracadabra, 18 October 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#2186 abracadabra

abracadabra

super

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • joined 30 may 12

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

i have to go to daegu in a few weeks. is there anything to do there?

#2187 hiphopisdead

hiphopisdead

bored

• Pip
  • 37 posts
  • joined 14 october 05
  • style:old skool
  • wish i was in:Sapporo

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

Anyone in Busan?
You can call me Dragon

#2188 dro-_-

dro-_-

superbored

• Pip
  • 479 posts
  • joined 28 december 06
  • attitude:obnoxious

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

i'll be in daegu for about three weeks. anything interesting to do around here?

#2189 christianjustin

christianjustin

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,622 posts
  • joined 15 september 07

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

anyone in seoul right now want to meet up? here till sunday

#2190 Jayeums

Jayeums

super

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • joined 11 november 11
  • style:oriental
  • attitude:none
  • wish i was in:London
  • denim:size 32

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hey guys, Im gonna be in Seoul and Incheon for a month but I need some decent stores to check out, everyones fuckin telling me to go dongdaemun cause they know I dig clothes and what not but they dont realize that shit is dirt. Can anyone help me out? I know about corso como, CDG and department stores in seoul but clueless about incheon? Cheers.