bored

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • attitude:chilled
  • wish i was in:Italy
  • talents:Sewing, journaling, boardsports
  • denim:size 28

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:53 AM

I would have posted this in superpersonal but it says I cannot start a new topic.

A bit of back story first:

I'm finishing up my final terms at my University (Oregon) and am realizing I need to seriously start looking at life options. I am (or will be) graduating with a major in the theatre arts and a minor in business and would like to move somewhere with job opportunities in theatre and fashion. I've been costuming for the stage for 2 and a half years now, have participated in 2 (local and low key) runway shows, and will be finishing my final term of school studying abroad in London, with a focus on fashion history and costuming. Hopefully, I'll also be landing an internship in theatre or the garment industry to gain more experience as well be a means of networking within the arts.

I'll be arriving in April with a student visa and its my understanding I'll have to return to the US to be issued a tier 4 work visa (assuming I can find work).

As I've been scouring the internet in an unguided and clumsy manner I thought I'd give a s/o to you lovely superpeople to see if anyone could point me in the right direction, offer personal insight, recommend theatres looking for interns/employees/swing-shift-man-slaves, or brands looking for cutter-sewers or designers. Unlikely I know, but any guidance helps.

Also: In my information gathering I happened across a site called www.1stcontactkickstart.com. Has anyone heard of this? Used it? It sounds almost too good to be true: for 35£ you get a UK bank account, UK cell SIM card, job finding assistance, and free international money transfer's and some other perks. Aside from sounding too good to be true, I wonder too if they'd be able to help me in finding work in theatre as it is very community based.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: london work, jobs, hope