Out in Left Field (1/1/2012-1/1/2013)

robbie

Edit: What are you guys reading, listening to, watching? Currently really into Nicolas Jarr's album Space Is Only Noise and Marika Papagika.

nice. i liked that nicholas jarr record.

i'm currently waiting for my copy of the new andromeda mega express orchestra record - so i've been listening to their 2009 debut a bunch.

Edited by mapz

I mostly listen to npr, and the occasional hour or so of Dave Ramsey on AM. But the top plays on my itunes is, has been, and probably will continue to be Spoon's album 'Transference'.

http://youtu.be/Yb1V2yprIJE

but I listen to just about anything (and I am not just saying that).

I just kind of go on these kicks. I spent most of the summer listening to 50's country and western: hank snow, tex ritter,bob wills,etc. And then on the way home today I was listening to 'all day' by girl talk. I think my tastes in music are like the tides and at the complete mercy of the moon.

Edited by robbie

@groove, haha it's all good.

@kansas, weird you mentioned that, i was just having a conversation late last year where someone told me their "dream collaboration" record would be that of django bates and bill frisell. told him the world may implode from prolificness.

@robbie, girls can tell is a personal classic of mine - dig the spoon!

Edited by mapz

Great fits Joel and Victor. Victor, it's a right handed 1975 Fender P Bass. It looks left handed because the picture wasn't flipped from my webcam!

haha! thanks adh92.

so you play electric bass? I suppose thats quite a natural crossover from the double bass. I stopped playing bass eversince I started work in architecture - but now I'm slowly picking up the pieces on my Yamaha 5-string. I'll post a pic when I can. I started listening to music in the 90's with strong basslines - some of my favourites were fusion bands like uzeb, tribal tech, and of course bass greats like jaco, pattitucci and the like.

Can see that music is very much part of this thread so far...keep it coming!

@groove i think you might be mistaking django bates for django reinhardt. but a reinhardt x frisell record? now there's a thought.

but i digress - more duck talk! i'm itching to get mine hemmed. suppose to be a beautiful day here tomorrow, sunny and warm - so stay tuned.

Edited by mapz

As requested, some shots of the indigo rub-off onto my 'overpants' :

402766_10150459167786835_508016834_9129499_12233180_n.jpg

405969_10150459168546835_508016834_9129505_2120658284_n.jpg

388600_10150459168231835_508016834_9129503_1453722678_n.jpg

And a fit from yesterday.

376098_10150459167481835_508016834_9129498_463428434_n.jpg

I recently upgraded to a smart phone, so hopefully I can add some more 'lifestyle' pictures and possibly even the occasional video once I've figure it all out.

yesterday the girlfriend and i enjoyed a beautiful day by making a visit to chicago's mca. it's our fav in the city, plus we had to make the trip because it's current exhibition on iain baxter& ends on january 15th.

aLGYLl.jpg

my girlfriend applied for a research grant to do a project on iain baxter& and n.e. thing co. - so we're quite familiar with his work. it was a good way for me to finally tie in all the work she's been doing with a large scale exhibition.

snapped a few shots on the museum steps:

iYsNel.jpg

jzX6Ql.jpg

chore coat in january? something is not right here.

kbby8l.jpg

the mca had a few other exhibits going on. here's some work from another vancouver-based artist, ron terada.

4KWowl.jpg

and it's main space, there's a minimalist/post-minimalist survey nicely titled the language of less (then and now).

s1ISXl.jpg

Edited by mapz

arcarsenal - duckman. nice. I seem to have lost my pointer jacket, I'll have to look harder so I can pull off "the duckman."

yesterday I went to jack's music class. it's basically a sing along with a bunch of moms and their kids. no pics, didn't want to be the only guy taking them so I left the camera at home. the part of the carpet we were on for an hour probably has nice blue tinge to it now.

weather was great yesterday, as it is today.

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

I think I had a post that's not here anymore. something to do with the latest crash?

spent the evening and early morning of today upgrading and testing my workstation pc. being the incredible nerd that i am, i got caught up in the moment and didn't take any pictures. it was a pretty intense upgrade, had to do a lot of crazy cable management and squeezing but now everything is great. need a new soundcard though cause my old one won't fit. i need a headphone amp for my music or i will die. literally die. an expensive newegg purchase has sorted that out thankfully.

anyway, to make up for a lack of super exciting computer pictures here are some glamour shots of the chinos. i had these before the contest so... they're probably got like two weeks of wear at the most. the seat/crotch have the most noticeable wear but there are subtle blues coming in all over. all of these pairs are going to be looking super nice soon. the areas that have worn into a blue are nice and soft like the caramel duck chinos.

T03ePl.jpg

yefuml.jpg

j1iRFl.jpg

JfQBrl.jpg

ToOcEl.jpg

Then i took the dog for a walk and looked like this: 60 degrees F today in indiana - insane.

PGsgkl.jpg

I "Modified" my pants a bit tonight. I took 1 1/2" off the back pocket bags with a single stitch on each one. Now my wallet rides just below the slit opening and feels right now.

DSC09261.jpg

I also added two "coin" pockets inside the front pockets. My pocket knife and change kept falling out when I sat down. I used some of the pocket bag material I picked up at the Rising Sun sale last year... It's tough to sew those on as it's only on one side and you really have to pull the pockets out to do it...

DSC09262-1.jpg

DSC09263-1.jpg

Love the modifications Derek! I might have to try my hand at those once I get my new machine.

Looks like a fun day Mapz.

Here's a little sneak peak at my left arm. I'm doing a project with Max Kuhn. We're doing my whole left arm in less than a week. This picture is from yesterday. We're currently on day 3 and expect to be done tomorrow. It's been 5 hours days of tattooing. Tough on both me and Mr. Kuhn, I'm sure.

tumblr_lxevgun8BX1qmd9l2o1_500.jpg

thanks smitty.

arc you gonna have to start copyrighting all your outfit names.

adh daaaaamn you're a mad man, the piece is looking pretty sick already. looking forward to some pics once that's all healed up.

Edited by mapz

snapped a couple of pics in-between watching episodes of the mini-series Tinker, Tailor, soldier, spy from the bbc. gonna watch the movie remake after the old episodes.

6663027343_f0bbca83f8_z.jpg

double-duck like ^^

6663027745_e9e5920a55_z.jpg

Hey y'all.

Intro: I'm nick, Live in L.A./CA, first time doing a "contest" like this. Andrew posted about it on his tumblr and thought it sounded cool. Not new to the denim thing. I'll be wearing these pretty regular in my day to day. Went with a thinner fit then I would normally go with a denim/work pant because I'll be dressing them up a bit when the situation calls for it. Was doing a cuff but am going to have to hem them up. Trying to get back into photography so here is a fit pic and a few snaps from the past week.

I apologize in advance for this photo heavy post.

fit6664262111_0f61502bb7.jpg

week 1 6664282931_295031508a.jpg

label, the belt is from a local leather guy hand cuts them for you while you wait, about 3/16" thick.

6664286833_a51871c603.jpg

Alden x Epaulet natural CxL6664271605_f5ea7cb60f.jpg

had to go to Vegas for the night for some work.

BillyKirk bag, EG shirt, Redwing Iron Rangers, Filson, Alden, LF6664267055_b5bcd647ce_z.jpg

Picked up some Zines 6664276381_63ea2ffc43_z.jpg

and hit the Rose Bowl Flea this morning got this camera

6664280617_eb032e3ac6_z.jpg

'53 Chieftain I spotted in Culver City, had to stop and snap some pics

6664333005_dcc68c3a9f_z.jpg

'64 Impala I came across in Downtown arts district. had surf racks and wire rims,

6664337897_6f4a1b0c3d_b.jpg