• This topic is locked This topic is locked
148 replies to this topic

#91 ohsnap

ohsnap

superbored

• Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

if your overall gpa is <3.0, put your major gpa instead.

some companies won't even give you a second look if your gpa is < 3.5. just being honest.
drowned

#92 i wear shooes

i wear shooes

superjunkie

• PipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:59 AM

to everyone that has pm'd me about my resume and has not received a pm back:
i am updating my resume cause ya boy has just finished up an internship and will be starting one (hopefully) in the summer.

ill let you know when its ready and hopefully it has helped the people i have pm'd in the past.
gator boots with a pimped out gucci suit

#93 shufon

shufon

superjunkie

• PipPip
  • 2,167 posts
  • attitude:spaced out

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

for future consultants / bankers / hedge funders etc

this website has been very useful for case prep www.caseinterview.com

Case questions are good for consulting, maybe banking. If you are going for a hedge fund job (or any s&t job), just go buy a book of trick probability questions. I hear people talking about trading interviews every day and 95% of the questions asked in the interviews are just about expected values. Also, www.glassdoor.com is a good place to see which questions specific firms are asking.

#94 Desi

Desi

superveryjunkie

• PipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • biography:peasant
  • talents:Smiling

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

damn my GPA is 2.8 though I am not studying the same courses as the majority of you. I am in History...

#95 kvc06

kvc06

superjunkie

• superseller
  • 1,611 posts
  • style:tribal
  • wish i was in:Chicago
  • denim:size 36

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Welp, I just got the internship, with my "more than a bit low" gpa.
The extent your GPA matters really depends on your industry, and like I've stated before it was due to one bad first semester, not me being a slacker. Experience matters way more in my desired industry.

#96 Leeacto

Leeacto

superbored

• Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:01 AM

As for listing only your major GPA, I think people usually only do it if they're listing overall also. If you only do your major, it kind of looks like you're gaming the system (bc you are).

#97 koala

koala

bored

• Pip
  • 87 posts
  • wish i was in:cubicle

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:44 PM

So, kind of a tough situation here.

I have a lunch meeting with the senior accountant at a small consulting firm. My intended major is accounting, and my intentions of meeting with this guy is to get an internship at the firm. The owners of the firm are parents of one of my friends/classmates. Because it's a small firm, I'm not getting the vibe they want or need an intern. During the email exchange between myself and my friend's mom (owner), she invited me to the office, to "meet the staff, learn more about their business practices, and ask any questions that I may have" and proceeded to list off dates in which they were available. Today she said that she would have her senior accountant take me out to lunch next Tuesday.

How the hell am I supposed to turn this lunch meeting, into a possible internship???

Side note: what the fuck do I wear?

TL DR version; have lunch meeting with senior accountant at small consulting firm. how do i hint at an internship?

#98 ohsnap

ohsnap

superbored

• Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:26 AM

breh, you don't want to be overt about it. my philosophy about this is to be aggressive (not pushy) and to "butter up" the relationship.

go to the lunch meeting with du. people love talking about themselves. charm him, make him laugh. it's almost as if you're gonna fuck him (pause). ask questions about how he got to where he is, his life/wisdom/likes/dislikes/knowledge, alla dat. keep the conversation going. be genuinely interested in him.

when the lunch ends, thank him for his time and ask him for his contact info. shoot him a thank you e-mail afterwards. let a few weeks go by and update him as to what's going on in your life. then pop the question: "i'm currently looking for an internship. how do you recommend i best position myself for a ____ position at your firm?" attach your resume. while you wait for a response, start applying to other places.

PS - wear a suit. there's no excuse to not look like a boss. i'm assuming this is all for an unpaid internship, right?

Edited by ohsnap, 15 December 2011 - 02:28 AM.

drowned

#99 Guest_glasses_*

Guest_glasses_*

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:30 AM

i agree with most of what ohsnap said, but dont wear a suit. consulting firms are already pretty casual, and you dont want to be overdressed for an informal meeting. i think an oxford/button up and slacks would be fine

Edited by glasses, 15 December 2011 - 10:15 AM.

#100 koala

koala

bored

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

damn that sounds real good. okay i'll dress it down a bit.

i mean i would glady take the internship even if it's unpaid, but at this point i'm not sure. thanks for the input

#101 Guest_glasses_*

Guest_glasses_*

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

ah, but i also assumed that this was at a restaurant/cafe. if it's actually in-office i'd say go full on "business casual." if its outside the office use your best judgment and dont order the most expensive thing on the menu (or the cheapest!)

#102 Leeacto

Leeacto

superbored

• Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

Yeah. Sounds like a good plan. OhSnap's definitely been reading MergersandInquisitions.com (which is a great site for M&A/IB/S&T)

#103 ohsnap

ohsnap

superbored

• Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

^ talk to this guy and glasses; they know more than i do.

and i've never even heard of that site. what i wrote in my previous post is just simply common sense and human interaction 101. trust me, i had to learn the hard way.
drowned

#104 koala

koala

bored

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

just spoke with the daughter. she said they wear suits in the office, so I guess i'll be wearing a suit/tie. luckily she says that everyone there is chill and younger, so I'm a bit less nervous.

definitely need to fix up and update my resume still, as well as prepare a list of questions to ask the senior accountant. thanks for all the help thus far.

#105 t3hcoke

t3hcoke

semibored

• Pip
  • 820 posts
  • style:none

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

tips on cover letters?

#106 Leeacto

Leeacto

superbored

• Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Ahh! I hate cover letters. Haha, but they are truly useful if you don't have an immediate "in" with the company. There are tons of sites online about them, but here's my take on the format: (I'll use analyst as a generalist term)

To Whom it May Concern: (Definitely use Mr/Ms. _____ if you know who'll be reading)

I read about your analyst position on [Company]'s Careers site, and I am very interested. I have been spending the last ____ years/months/time pd as a ____, and I find that this position is directly relatable.

The analyst position requires excellent organizational skills (or whatever). While working as _____, I [solve a problem] by _____.

[Maybe another paragraph about this]

I am very interested in the analyst position because ____. I believe that I have the right combination of ____/____/acrobatics to perform well in the industry. Thank you for your consideration.

sincerely,

Mr. T

#107 Leeacto

Leeacto

superbored

• Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

As you can see, my version of the cover letter is Extremely stock. This is virtually the skeleton of what I send out everywhere (I'm looking for a job in Investment Research currently). The fill in the blanks portions are obviously the most important. You have to really think about what you did in school (if just out of undergrad) or most recently in work. Typically, I say not to use life experiences unless it's directly relevant. No one want to read about your skydiving trip, but you could save that for the interview to show you're a little different/not boring.

Just so we're clear, the purpose of the cover letter serves as protocol, a teaser, and a gap filler:
It's protocol because some hiring mgrs or HR may be the type that requires it. "They have to put in a little effort to be considered..."
It's a teaser because it's not a regurgitation of your resume. It gives character to you and says "Hey, this person may be qualified/interesting. Let me read more." I your cover letter completely sucks, they may never get to your resume at all.
It's a gap filler because it tells about yourself in full sentences, not bullet points. Think about it: if these are jobs you really want, you should be able to say "I really want this position, and this is why:". The cover letter allows you to back up those reasons.

OK that's what I've got. I'm sure I've missed good pointers, but these are my feelings. Granted, I'm no huge stud who tears through interviews or anything. But I do feel like I've started to be able to play the game a little better recently.

#108 boy better know

boy better know

superbored

• Pip
  • 847 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

for everyone in banking

CV templates, interview tips, networking strategies, anything really:
http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/

and for the lulz:
http://www.leveragedsellout.com/

#109 kvc06

kvc06

superjunkie

• superseller
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

http://www.linkedin....015&trk=tab_pro

Feel free to connect with me.

#110 boy better know

boy better know

superbored

• Pip
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:13 AM

got a pretty serious finance and accounting competition coming up and as a graduating student i'm not sure of what approach to take towards employers

pretty confident i'll do well so that's that

but should i just hand out resumes to people i meet? collect business cards and follow up later?

my school is sponsored by an accounting firm and the chartered accountants of quebec but i'm in finance so no luck there

TL;DR: i'm a networking noob but i'm talkative and fun, help

#111 ohsnap

ohsnap

superbored

• Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

i talk like i regularly do to these "professionals" (lol, everybody's a professional nowadays)

whenever they're talking about their careers, make sure you have googly eyes. think about it: don't you like getting fellatio, whodi? ~nh~

and i slip in a "swag" every once in a while. i'm not joking.

and yes, get that business card. and compliment him/her on the fantastic raised lettering.
drowned

#112 koala

koala

bored

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

have you started your internship yet? if so how's it been?

#113 t3hcoke

t3hcoke

semibored

• Pip
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:42 AM

how to phone interview?

#114 Leeacto

Leeacto

superbored

• Pip
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Phone interviews are tough. If you are contacted directly, I suggest being friendly in a professional manner. In in-person interviews, you can get away with more (like making a good joke when appropriate). On the phone, it can get lost easily.

In phone interviews, just try to come off as a nice guy/gal who's interested in the job and a hard worker. I don't think there's a big make or break factor. They're likely either phoning a lot of people and your chances are slim anyway or it's just a phone screen to make sure you're not a jackass.

Either way, (I gotta say it) just be yourself. Ask yourself "is that something an idiot would say?" and say the opposite.

#115 Ahlvahroe

Ahlvahroe

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:vain
  • wish i was in:some place exciting
  • talents:food, denim, travel
  • denim:size 31

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hey guys,

I have been unemployed for about a month now and I think I really need to clean up my resume. I was hoping someone could help me out cause I really think my resume is quite unimpressive (something someone would look like and say 'boring' and pass) so if someone could please p.m something i would appreciate it. cause im burning through my savings quite quickly.

#116 kvc06

kvc06

superjunkie

• superseller
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Phone interview at BMO Harris for a summer position tomorrow. Wish me luck!

#117 boy better know

boy better know

superbored

• Pip
  • 847 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:07 AM

Phone interview at BMO Harris for a summer position tomorrow. Wish me luck!

to do PR?

godspeed

#118 t3hcoke

t3hcoke

semibored

• Pip
  • 820 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:12 AM

remember to smile :)

#119 t3hcoke

t3hcoke

semibored

• Pip
  • 820 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

what are people looking for when they ask the questions:
1) Why do you want the job?
2) Why would you be great at the job?

#120 RandR

RandR

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,012 posts
  • attitude:none
  • biography:the seizure summer
  • wish i was in:I'm already there
  • talents:everything I try, I'm good at
  • denim:size 30

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:41 PM

My quals:
1)I ran HR for a while at my company, am now senior analyst or whatever position I feel like making up, as I own 20%
2)At my other company I am the CFO

what are people looking for when they ask the questions:
1) Why do you want the job?
2) Why would you be great at the job?

1)I generally want to hear pragmatic honesty. If you want the job, tell me that you like the work but that you ultimately want to do more with more responsibility. I also like it if the person talks about how they like quantitative work, and if they have done some research on my company and know what specifically interests them. I.e. "I really would like to learn the basics of contract accounting, and then move more towards the financial analyst side". So really, don't just tell me why you want the job - tell me why you want the next level of that job as well.

2)Just say some generics - I'm a hard worker, I feel like I fit in with the culture after talking to everyone, I think this company has a lot of growth potential, etc etc. Our minds are already made up at the this point - you are either hired or not by the time you hear this question.

general interview notes:

1)Be confident. Seriously. I cannot stress this enough. If you act and look like you don't fucking think you can get the job, why the hell would I give it to you?

2)Dress as if you give a shit. I shouldn't have to say this to sufu. Wear a suit, a non-garish tie, and don't be fashion forward - If you roll in for the interview in a givenchy brocade blazer and some lanvin, I will fucking mock you relentlessly throughout the rest of the interview day and probably draw you on my notepad blowing another dude. If you wear Julius, I will ask you if you think we will still be around post nuclear war, and mock you to your face. Save fashion forward for your personal life - not work.

2)If I ask you a question that seems like it has no right answer, go through your thought process for me. This is an interview tactic used by a lot of hedge funds/banks/finance groups. An example is "how many shoes can fit in a boeing 747?" Nobody fucking knows - the point is for you to talk to me and say "well, two shoes in a shoebox, a person is about 10 shoeboxes in volume, and there's roughly 200 people, so 2000 shoeboxes..." If you can show me you have analytical ability on the spot, you might have a job.

3)Be friendly, and learn to shake someone's hand without going alpha male or limp wristed. Dudes that try to crush my hand are out/dudes that are too scared to shake my hand are out. There's an art to the firm, one pump handshake with unbroken eye contact that defines someone from the get go.

All of this applies to girls too. Generally I try to hire people who will be good workers - i.e. actually do what I tell them to, but have initiative on their own. Your resume doesn't tell me much but it DOES let me cut out a group of people arbitrarily, which keeps me out of trouble with the EEO. The most important thing to realize is: if you get called in for an interview you have a legitimate chance to win. If I interview you for a laugh, I have to fucking report it as part of the interviewed population, which can lead to a lawsuit if I am not being serious. So all interviews count. Never think you only have an outside chance.

Also, I try not to hire really hot women, because I'm afraid of lawsuits...and if they do get hired by my HR team, I never talk to them. Real talk.
L'homme c'est rien, l'oeuvre c'est tout