Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

who is Robert? i'm not familiar with either company

#902 justuhgeek

justuhgeek

bored

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

Robert Schaeffer is the head of Schaeffer's Garment Hotel.

who is Robert? i'm not familiar with either company

#903 khez

khez

semibored

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

so while skateboarding i took a pretty big fall and ripped the back pocket of my sams. i'd like the repair to be as subtle as possible. has anyone tried http://denimsurgeon.com/ or http://denimtherapy.com/ for this type of repair? are there any other places that would do a good job at this type of denim repair?

pics of the damage:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#904 chantheman

chantheman

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,981 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

selfedge
schaeffers

#905 kawawaka

kawawaka

semibored

• Pip
  • 62 posts
  • biography:I an Outdoor animal i sleep on the floor i don't ever get bored
  • talents:Trocupying jeans, Bonsai

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

so while skateboarding i took a pretty big fall and ripped the back pocket of my sams. i'd like the repair to be as subtle as possible. has anyone tried http://denimsurgeon.com/ or http://denimtherapy.com/ for this type of repair? are there any other places that would do a good job at this type of denim repair?

pics of the damage:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Hartford Denim Company will fix it up right quick for ya.

#906 atran

atran

bored

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:57 AM

For those who have tried them -- which would you recommend for tapering services -- Shaeffers Garment Hotel or Denim Doctors LA? Thanks

denim doctors la does an excellent job at tapering. i have not tried shaeffers.

#907 shinobi2000

shinobi2000

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

s. has anyone tried http://denimsurgeon.com/ or http://denimtherapy.com/ for this type of repair? ]

I have always used Denim Therapy here in NY for all my hole repairs and they've always done a great job and I normally highly recommend them. Recently though I have been looking for someone to taper my PBJs that unfortunately flare out and I researched by emailing and/or calling a bunch of places. Sadly Denim Therapy which clams to do alterations fell down a few notches on my respectability ladder. I asked specifically to the places I emailed if they take denim from the inseam or the selvage seam to taper and most places were horrified that I was even asking such a blasphemous question. Denim Therapy replied without any self-consciousness that they usually take from the selvage seam. "Wrong answer" I thought. So does that mean that I'm no longer going to send my jeans there for hole repairs? Nah, I probably will, but it does shoot down significantly any confidence I have in them. From their website you can tell they mainly cater to the ladies worried about how their asses and weight fluctuations will fit into their Sevens jeans and not the treat-my-denim-like-the-dead-sea-scrolls crowd.

#908 shinobi2000

shinobi2000

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:29 PM

I just sent a pair of PBJs in to Robert to be tapered, and I will let you know when it comes back.

I ended up choosing Schaeffer's too but according to USPS delivery confirmation service, they couldn't deliver it yesterday due to "address undeliverable". Did you get your pair out successfully? What's even more strange, I tried calling them today around 6pm eastern time and the phone wasn't working.

#909 lance

lance

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Anyone know if it's possible to remove perfectly good buttons without damaging them and replacing on another pair of jeans with a new rivet/stud? If so, how? thanks

#910 justuhgeek

justuhgeek

bored

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:31 AM

Just received my jeans back from Schaeffer's Garment Hotel, and they are awesome. He did not slack at all on the details.

#911 shinobi2000

shinobi2000

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Good to hear. There was a laughably stupid mix up with the address but it's all be cleared up now. So I guess I'll wait for them to work their magic on my pair now. Finger's crossed, I've never sent my babies that far away for this long a time before, ha ha.

#912 surly

surly

semibored

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • style:gangster
  • attitude:chilled
  • biography:young american
  • wish i was in:MPLS
  • denim:size 24

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Last week, this happened to my LVC 47s:
Posted Image

I have a friend who is going to stitch them up for me, but they develop a new area in need of repair (though never nearly this serious before) after every few weeks of wear. So they aren't going into full retirement, but they're won't be seeing regular floor time for the rest of their career.
pretty good at pants

#913 thecolosseum

thecolosseum

bored

• Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

These are a Levis Europe and Middle East model 501 around an estimated 8-10 years old...used for paining now. they are hand me downs from a friend who lives in north africa so no telling where they have been or really how old they are. All of the repairs have been done since i was given them...still got a lot of work to do on them...They seem to fall apart more every time i wear them. Hope you enjoy!

Posted Image
DSC_0178 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on FlickrPosted Image
DSC_0187 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on FlickrPosted Image
DSC_0173 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on FlickrPosted Image
DSC_0185 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on FlickrPosted Image
DSC_0184 by Mr.JohnCinyo, on Flickr

#914 shinobi2000

shinobi2000

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

x post --Posted Image

Just got my pair back from Schaeffer's too. It was a very neat and polished, almost seamless job. Now that I've used them, I can highly recommend them and I might even now consider using them for my repairs as well. Alas, I'll miss the security of just dropping off the jeans myself with Denim Therapy and then picking them up later but if it means this kind of attention to detail then they've won the competitive market in my book.

#915 straightxedge

straightxedge

semibored

• Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#916 tsunamiboy85

tsunamiboy85

superbored

• Pip
  • 321 posts
  • style:none
  • wish i was in:-sane
  • denim:size 31

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

Anyone with any idea how to go about repairing this? Looks like the oxidation of the top button ate away at the denim...

Posted Image

Do I have to rip out the original top button, and get a replacement? Or what? TIA! :)
Life is entropy. So instead of seeking pristine perfection, look for beauty in decay. For sale: Fullcount jeans Artist Denim

#917 Tabris

Tabris

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

It's been like 3 months since I left a pair down in London down Cowell street.

Did a bit of holidaying in that time to try and get my mind off of dropping out of med school and haven't really bothered to call up about them. I know they're not getting repaired, but I don't have the time to head to London to get them... unless they've been thrown away, which would be very annoying indeed.

You're not ready to own Sugar Cane denim.

#918 Tabris

Tabris

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:22 AM

Still haven't gotten through to Dale. Tried calling a couple of times, but I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to calling...

#919 alimenator

alimenator

superbored

• Pip
  • 591 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:39 AM

my eternals had to have the crotch reinforced

Posted Image[/QUOTE]

#920 Tabris

Tabris

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

Still haven't gotten through to Dale. Tried calling a couple of times, but I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to calling...

Anyone in London at the moment?

#921 Maynard Friedman

Maynard Friedman

superbored

• PipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:desperate
  • location:Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
  • wish i was in:Ae
  • talents:Cottaging

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Anyone in London at the moment?

8 million people look up at this point...

#922 Tabris

Tabris

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

8 million people look up at this point...

:P

I mean, that would be able to head down and see if Dale still has my jeans. I have the worst luck when it comes to calling and I'm a bit busy with Christmas coming up. More than willing to pay someone to pick them up if they're still there.

Edited by Tabris, 08 December 2011 - 06:19 PM.

#923 ronaldlsh

ronaldlsh

semibored

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

I sent my 634S-B to The Works for some serious repair, and I requested for some photos of the process. Thanks to Giles, Haraki-san, and the lady that repaired my jeans (I think she's Gon?). I'm really happy about the repair, and am super excited about getting it back!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Really cool repair! I love it, and seriously can't wait to put it on again..
I have OCD for jeans.

#924 shinobi2000

shinobi2000

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:33 AM

That was awfully nice of them to take pictures at your request. You just asked nicely or you got connections?

#925 V6power

V6power

post rank

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • style:cool
  • wish i was in:New York

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

is that same machine (the use) like singer 47w70 that selvedge had?Darning machine?

#926 cLavin

cLavin

semibored

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

It looks to me like their machine is a regular Brother (you can see the brand name on the side of the machine) lockstitch machine.
http://holystitch.tumblr.com/
I apprentice here ^

#927 the hall of vame

the hall of vame

post rank

• Pip
  • 765 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

need my ih301s' crotch repaired... any recommendations on the best place to take them in chicago? or shall i ship them off somewhere? help!

#928 sandrock

sandrock

bored

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

can anyone fill me in on darning holes vs. the invisible patching method?

I've got a small crotch hole starting on my LVC's and I just caught this video

so I'm wondering if I should send the pair off to someone who's going to darn them or patch them, and which would be better both for comfort after the repair and strength long-term.

#929 Tabris

Tabris

superjunkie

• Pip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'm sure there are people who are tired of hearing this schtick from me in this thread as it isn't really relevant.

But for reasons I can't help (see: http://supertalk.sup...84#entry2657684 ), there's no way I'll be heading down to London at all within the next 3-4 months if previous experience is anything to go by.

So, as before. If anyone is in London and happens to use Dale down in Covent Garden as a tailor, I'd like to ask if someone could see if my Sugar Canes are still with him and if they could pick them up and send them up north to me. Kinda doubting it as it's been 6 months now, but I can't really leave home for a good while.

#930 cool_hand

cool_hand

post rank

• Pip
  • 323 posts
  • style:bespoke
  • attitude:hypnotized
  • denim:size 34

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Sure this is answered on here already but I'll ask again!

Where in London is good for denim repairs.

I'm EC1 / Shoreditch / Brick Lane area.

thanks.

FS: New Mister Freedom Rider's Dungarees Jeans size 34