motorcycles caused me strife

wild style

Picked this up for free recently. I'm having trouble identifying the model. I know it's an 82' Yamaha and assuming it's an XJ550. Even called a dealership and gave them the VIN, but didn't have any luck. Probably gotta take it in and have them look. Anyway, any more knowledgeable heads out there have an idea on what it may be based on the image?

Edit: It's an '82 XZ 550. Summer project is now lined up!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/moimemephoto/13976437604/in/photostream/

Sorry about the link, iPad Mini is buggin.

Edited by captain5640

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in the market for a new bike. Need some advice from seasoned riders...

Any opinions on the following options?:

What I really need is something I can commute on all year - through the wet, icy, muddy British winter, I'm used to 60's vespas in London and ran a couple for almost 10 years but wanted a proper bike now that I live in the countryside.

I like the looks of these:

Moto Guzzi V7

Moto-Guzzi-V7-Stone.jpg

Triumph scrambler

2013-tidak-berjudul-8_600x0w.jpg

Are these viable options? Are they going to deteriorate through the winter? Would I be better off with a big modern scooter? These are way more practical but hard to get excited about.

Cah2xHn.jpg?1

Currently riding an 03 Aprilia Tuono R Limited.  Forged magnesium wheels? check. Carbon Fiber fairings? check. Full titanium exhaust? check.

As far as a commuter bike goes for foul weather,  BMWs with shaft drives aren't bad but it depends on whether you want to have a bike that doesn't mind getting dirty or a bike that looks good dirty.  Dual sports such as KLRs are great for foul weather but aren't exactly the Moto Guzzi or Triumph you posted.  In the end, it's all really down to the owner putting in the effort to clean and maintain their bike. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sold the ironhead and KZ650.... Time to move to big twin

Question for the chopper dudes...

Buy a titled pan or shovel motor and build around it... or complete cone shovel. Theres a titled 64 panshovel motor on chopcult right now goin for 5k... but then theres a complete cone shovel im kind of into on craigslist for the same price basically... Help me decide!

Edited by Dex_star

• 4 weeks later...

that is a tough one in my book. For me I have a huge HardOn for Knucks so if you said Knuck or Shovel I'd go Knuck. But I would just go w/ your gut on it which to me seems like the Pan. 

My uncle just picked up a done Panshovel rigid and it is titties!!

• 3 weeks later...

Either of these will be fine for a crappy, rainy commute but if you're bringing muddy into the equation, I'd look into more of an ADV style bike. Judging from the photos you posted, you're looking to buy new. If I had the cash for a new bike I'd be all over a Vstrom 650 after they ditch the dame edna glasses in 2015. Or, if I was truly no budget, black and orange all the way. KTM 1190R. Less budget it'd be one of the new Honda 500s all the way. They're supposed to be phenomenal bang-for-the-buck as commuters, especially the CB500X

As far as standard seating position, "cool" bikes, also look into the KTM Duke 690 and the Ducati Monster 696. Or, if you wait a few months... 

the-new-ducati-scrambler-closer-to-the-f

What I really need is something I can commute on all year - through the wet, icy, muddy British winter, I'm used to 60's vespas in London and ran a couple for almost 10 years but wanted a proper bike now that I live in the countryside.

Moto Guzzi V7

Moto-Guzzi-V7-Stone.jpg

Triumph scrambler

Are these viable options? Are they going to deteriorate through the winter? Would I be better off with a big modern scooter? These are way more practical but hard to get excited about.

*** SHILL ALERT ***
15189101802_ec75a2db50_b.jpg

The Motorcycle Film Festival is less than 3 weeks away and my partner and I have been busting my ass on this since the day last year's fest ended and I'm pretty proud of what we're putting together. We've been lucky enough to have a few amazing folks chip in and help out as well and we're feeling pretty good about the whole thing.

Events go from the 24th-27th of this month, all at The Gutter Bar on N14th street in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY (same place as the NYC Vintage Moto show/Works engineering). In the plans are:

- a pre-party screening of our Judge Peter Starr's classic, "Take It To The Limit"
- 9 Screenings of films submitted for this year (over 30 short and feature films in documentary, narrative, and experimental genres)
- 2 Afterparties (on fri and sat) with Julia Haltigan and Daddy Long Legs headlining
- Maybe an art show...?
- Filmmaker Q&A's hosted by a bunch of our judges
- Other various shenanigans

I'd love it if y'all would come out and support. We've got some killer films including the amazing doc on the Pentons who brought KTM and modern dirt biking to the US, a movie about Indian wall of death riders, 85 year old sidecar world champions, Dave Roper and the Isle of Man, chopper legend Tom Fugle, the Dirtbag challenge, and what's still looking like the North American Debut of the new On Any Sunday!

We've got a fuck ton of movies, We've got a ton of good folks coming into town. We've got parties, art, the whole 9 yards. Most of our judges will be in attendance too. Here's the panel for this year:

- Paul d'Orleans "the Vintagent"

- JP from The Selvedge Yard

- Stacie B. London of the East Side Moto Babes, 55 Triple Nickel Racing / LAMOCA

- Paul Cox of Paul Cox Industries

Roland Sands of Roland Sands Design 

- Shinya Kimura of Chabott Engineering / formerly of Zero Engineering

- Peter Starr, legendary motorcycle filmmaker

- Amos Poe, long time NYC Punk/Independent filmmaker
- Ultan Guilfoyle, filmmaker and curator of The Art of the Motorcycle show at the Guggenheim museum

- Eric Ristau, filmmaker of "Best Bar In America" and winner of last year's MFF Best in Festival Award

- Chris Logsdon of Godspeed Co. / Iron & Air Magazine

- Hayden Roberts of Hell on Wheels MC

Now all we need is good people to show up and have a good time. If you head to our website www.motorcyclefilmfestival.com and check it out, it has all the details on the schedule of films and how to buy tickets. Or, if you want to skip that part and go right to the store, here's the link to our bigcartel. My one piece of advice would be to buy tickets soon as they're going super fast and the venue only seats like 90 people.

Also, if y'all wouldn't mind doing me a favor and following us on instagram(@motofilmfest), twitter(@motofilmfest), and facebook and spreading the word, it'd be awesome. We could definitely use the help.

Hope to see y'all there.

Adios,

Jack

Edited by JackCrank

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

for cold weather some people wear nitrile gloves under their leather gloves, or you can buy silk glove liners

for lower temps i wear non-protective leather gloves with cashmere lining. when it is the coldest (like -5 to 0 C) just before snow starts falling, i wear fur covered leather mittens

alternatively, those motocross hand-guards help block the wind pretty good too

mittens are always warmer than gloves, so see if you can get away with just wearing regular insulated winter mittens, or layer regular gloves under mittens

Do you got a cross bar on this thing? between the seat posts...

I wanted to run like that with one of my older bikes but was afraid of it collapsing back there

Actually the frame has a cross member from the factory, its mounted upon it. 

• 4 months later...

Moto Guzzi V7

Moto-Guzzi-V7-Stone.jpg

Triumph scrambler

I have the v7 and love it for city commute but those clip ons are excruciating on long rides .

Also if you are short statured you may have trouble straddling as my suspicion it was designed for taller riders .

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...