Roy. (expurgated edition)

rnrswitch

What's up with the recent Roy releases being on beer release days as well?

I think that's because when you're in Portland, everyday is a beer release day.

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure why SE removed all the product pages for older Roy releases (perhaps tired of fielding restock inquiries?) but I think it was the product page for Ducks that had an interesting bit from Roy about how long soaks are pointless because the cotton fibers arent going to get MORE wet and all it will do is damage the leather tag (i'm being liberal with my paraphrashing here...) I always sort of assumed the same and I question when I read on here that someone just did a "2 hour initial soak" or whatever.

Anyway, if I recall his suggestion was turn inside out*, soak/agitate for about five minutes in hot but not scalding water. Hang dry. 

*(I think turning inside out is extra critical with Ducks which are even more prone to get odd bruising... though I suppose the real danger is in machine washes and not hand agitated soaks...)

If anyone can correct me on this, feel free!

Edited by ColdStorage

If you're agitating during a soak, time is pretty irrelevant.  If you are using minimal agitation, time does actually have a marginal difference in how much shrinkage happens.  It'll come as a shocking surprise and disappointment that I'm no fiber scientist, but my guess is that without agitation, it takes a decent amount of time for the core of the cotton yarn to reach full saturation point from the water.  I've reached the point that I machine wash any new jeans twice instead of soaking…but I usually size in a way where I want to get all my shrinkage out before I start wearing the jeans.

Your recollection on the suggested soak for the unsanforized duck Roys matches mine to the letter.  

If you're agitating during a soak, time is pretty irrelevant.  If you are using minimal agitation, time does actually have a marginal difference in how much shrinkage happens.  It'll come as a shocking surprise and disappointment that I'm no fiber scientist, but my guess is that without agitation, it takes a decent amount of time for the core of the cotton yarn to reach full saturation point from the water.  I've reached the point that I machine wash any new jeans twice instead of soaking…but I usually size in a way where I want to get all my shrinkage out before I start wearing the jeans.

Your recollection on the suggested soak for the unsanforized duck Roys matches mine to the letter.  

tmadd do you machine wash with warm water or cold water? I have some some unsanforized jeans that I soaked twice without much agitation. I wore them for about 2 months(not much fading) and I would like the top block to be smaller. Should I machine wash them once or twice maybe?

Hot washing has to be best way to get out all dormant shrinkage... in my experience, after that, any more shrinkage is going to be seriously minuscule and negated by possible stretching (except possibly in inseam).  Hot washing your jeans up front should be the de facto rule for unsanforized denim, fuck 15 minute cold soaks.

Any more info on the next release?

Thinking these could be my next pair.

Next release is a straight leg jean with some taper made out of a loom state Cone denim and will be released on May 10th.  The fabric weighs almost 14oz per square yard before the initial soak and shrinkage is rated at about 10% meaning it'll end up feeling like a 15oz denim after a hot soak.

Got to see a test pair in the store the other day. it looks like a good fit for those who want roomier legs but with a bit of a taper so the look is a little more fitted. the denim has some nice weight to it and the patch on it is along the lines of the big bro. super excited to see the finished version! 

I've been slow to get some pics up of the rs04's. I gave them a hot delicate wash on Monday and got about 0.5" of shrinkage in the thigh/rise/ leg opening etc. I got 3.25" shrinkage in the inseam. Is there much more shrinkage to be had? I hope not because they fit pretty great now. The waist also shrunk about 1.75 inches.

I should add that they were only in the washing machine for the duration of the cycle, and not much soaking afterwards(my roommate started bitching)

Edited by SuperJackle

^Based on my experience with 04's - you might have some more shrink. Looking at the waistat least... I got a full 2" on a tagged 33. (Oddly, I got a bit less than 3" shrink in the inseam but they were hemmed already to 32" raw so it might just be an issue of proportions... less material will of course exhibit less shrink....)

Did not pounce on the Warehouse 660 restock or the 5000 series Strike Golds cause i'm making sure I have the resources to pounce on the new Roy - but will have to wait and see some measurements before I can be sure.

Kiya, will there be a size 38 in this run of Roy Jeans that are coming May, 10th?

Yes, this model goes up to a size 38.

So is this fit...special?  SF02?

No, it's a completely new model. Roy has never produced the same model twice with the exception of a small re-run of the RS02.

Not sure if this is what you meant, but wasn't there also a re run of the RS04? Could've sworn mine were from the second batch.

Yes, but if i remember correctly that was just more stock of the same jean, not made into separate runs.