film cameras (medium format, large format, 35mm, whatever)

joelz

best compact 35 ever~~~builds like a tank~~~I had them forever~~the body is still like brand new. and shows no signs of wear or rust or anything~~and i was living in a very humid climate too everything goes rust so quickly

Contax t2.

T2_e1.jpg

T4 is all really just hype, such a slow lens, with no manual controls.

Leica Minilux is infamous for its errors, the most common being E02 Failure, which costs around 200 dollars to fix.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^^^

I'd suggest an olympus pen, not the really expensive ones with interchangeable lenses but the cheaper half-frame versions.

you can have a lot of fun with them and it doubles a roll of 35mm film

so 24 exposures become 48 and so on and so forth, you have more control than the BS Diana and Holga's (in terms of light leaks,etc) and they can be had for really cheap on ebay.

damn, somebody recommend me something simple for around ~60-100

i just wanna dabble with film

ebay that shit first. i ended up finding a $15 35mm slr.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Krack
found a yashica fx-3 awhile ago at a thrift store for $30, seems to be in very good condition mechanically. the leather has worn off, and i have an order coming in from cameraleathers since akiasahi is temporarily unavailable..

man, film is fun, but film and development adds up.. :(

develop your own black and white and buy a scanner.

they charge $18/roll, scanned to cd (no prints)

ehh..

yeah, scanning at any professional lab is going to be costly, but you're going to get great scans and great negatives. i've been using CRC for the past two years and they've only fucked up my film once or twice, and it was never anything major. i'd definitely recommend them over manhattan color lab on 20th and 5th Ave, as manhattan color lab doesn't 'refresh' their chemicals as much, resulting in strange color casts. L&I across the street from CRC is also pretty good, consistent, a little pricey, but they've never caused me any problems.

EDIT: if you want, i'll scan your negatives on an imacon x5 scanner, up to 6000 DPI 16bit files, $7 a roll.

Anyone ever processed color film as black and white?

I've seen some results here and there, but never knew if it required further processing.

A local walgreens was having a sale so I picked up 8 rolls of basic 400 film, and figured I might try it out .

Converting scanned color negative to b&w in LR/PS/etc. works about as well as converting digital files. That's assuming you have a high-res scan. The 8-bit, small files you get from commercial scanning are going to make it difficult to process them as well.

There is no way to chemically process color negative film to black and white.

i've made the jump into film

what's the best place to get film developed in nyc? is the usual price around $8/roll?

L&I on 22nd between 5-6th Ave, good people. Color rolls are about $7-8 and the turn around is usually same day, if you drop off in the morning. Black and white usually takes a full day.

If you look young, say you go to Parsons or SVA for a discount (~$5/roll).

• 1 month later...

i actually picked up a ricoh gr1 over the winter and took it up to wine country. was so so with the results. anyone know where to fix the LCD nowadays?

5613888299_f89fee9c12_z.jpg

5614466846_07f1613c9e_z.jpg

old kyocera t4 never disappoints. i've been thinking about picking up a contax t2, but am kind of worried it'll be a bit redundant, thoughts?

5614456776_924e616ac6_z.jpg

5613876781_fc0908f224_z.jpg

5613877701_f88d1fcd69_z.jpg

i actually picked up a ricoh gr1 over the winter and took it up to wine country. was so so with the results. anyone know where to fix the LCD nowadays?

5613888299_f89fee9c12_z.jpg

5614466846_07f1613c9e_z.jpg

old kyocera t4 never disappoints. i've been thinking about picking up a contax t2, but am kind of worried it'll be a bit redundant, thoughts?

5614456776_924e616ac6_z.jpg

5613876781_fc0908f224_z.jpg

5613877701_f88d1fcd69_z.jpg

Those look great. Seems to be repetitive with the two point and shoots, but for the right price why not?

Guest Krack

By all means if you have M money.

Which at least 700 for a body, and 400 or so for a decent lens (not even Leica glass which will be 600+) and film and processing.

Then by all means. But Leicas are not made for everyone. If you want a more technologically advanced camera I recommend the Contax G1/G2.

If you purchase a T2, the T4 will be a peasents camera in comparsion.

The T2 has a supeior lens, and egronomics.

As for repairing the LCD problem on the GR1 (which is common) you cannot. It is a design flaw and third party LCD parts haven't been made in years. There are no active shops which repair this problem.

I'm on the fence about buying a Gr1, but skeptical about the LCD breaking down.

I have the chance to purchase one locally for 200$, not sure if I need it though. I currently have an Olympus XA2, a Konica Auto S3, and an ME Super.

Ricoh Gr1 would just top my collection off as far as 35mm I think. poly800rock, what are your gripes about the ricoh gr1?

I was wondering if you guys could help me. I'm currently using an Olympus OM-2S, and when I get my shots printed some of them don't come out right. The right side of the print is either black or grey (sometimes it's 3/4 of the photo, sometimes it's only 1/4 of the photo). When I look at the negative it's just blank on that side, so I have no idea what's going on. I'm getting the right exposure so I have no idea what it could be. Any ideas?

anybody shoot rangefinder stuff? trying to get into it. my friend is a leica m series user.

Contax G2, it's all I shoot with. The autofocus is hit and miss and dependent on an intuitive sense of space to get good results - may take a while to get used to it. But now that i've been using it for about 2 months now I can't really imagine using anything else...great for shooting from the hip in situations where you may lose your shot if on manual - can think of it as a point and shoot with greater control

I just recently finished getting all the parts for my Bronica Sq-a pretty excited to start shooting it

You'll love it man. I wish I made the right decision and picked one up instead of my Hassy. Glass is so much cheaper for the Bronny.

• 8 months later...

I find 35mm much more versatile for the sort of photography I do. There's not much point going medium format unless you're shooting huge sweeping landscapes from mountain tops or something. Urban medium format is just silly though, I find the craze a bit funny although I guess it's over by now.