Reykjavik, Iceland

PT

Def 101...great location, modern scandi design, and a good atmosphere....either do that or if you want to save some cash rent a flat in town....If money isn't a huge concern though I'd ante up for 101 b/c you'll meet some quality folks and the staff is quite helpful (i.e. dinner reservations, hookups at bars/clubs,etc). If you're there for the weekend, all I can say is be prepared...my seratonin levels definitely took a hit

101 hotel is ok, but VERY expensive and in my opinion not worth it...yes it has been getting a lot of press for being the "it" spot..but the hotel options in Reykjavik are limited and $$$$. Stay somewhere cheaper and just hang out at the bar/resto at the 101 hotel like all the other FAB wannabees.

Reykjavik is small with not a lot to do so a short visit is best. The nitelife is pretty cool. Hot spots include restaurants/clubs Apotek,Pravda, Kaffibarrin, Vegamot, Astro and NASA.

I wouldn't shop there, it is mucho overpriced and selection sucks. Save your money for Paris, Milan or New York instead.

have fun!

Tom

hello everyone! love this site, lots of useful information and fun to read. Now live in Toronto but have also lived in Montreal, Prague, Cape Town and Miami.

I was in Iceland about a year ago and stayed at the Hotel Fron. Which I must say was very quaint, very affordable (when it comes it Iceland $$) and just generally very nice hotel and centrally located right around the corner from the main strip! I'm sure it will never get labeled as the "Must Stay/It" Hotel of Reykjavik but it's a nice place!

http://www.hotelfron.is

If you get the chance I would also eat "3 frakkar" or it may be "Prir Frakkar" (which i think means three brothers in english). I think the entree price is between $20-$30 USD, but it's well worth it and a nice treat for yourself while on vacation. though you may be ethically opposed to eating there becaus ethey have Puffin, Whale & Seal on the menu. But the Food is excellant!

http://www.3frakkar.com/

And this may be a given and is probably the Reykjavik equivalent of "The Tourist Spot" But the Blue Lagoon is wonderful and very relaxing! Very worth the trip!

http://www.bluelagoon.com/

You should now that the Water in Iceland smells and tastes like sulpher. Just an FYI!

Oh and if you are going to go out drinking or hit the clubs I recommend getting a bottle at a liquor store and getting yourself drunk in your hotel room till close to midnight before heading out. The price of drinks at all of the bars and clubs out there is INSANE! I'm talking $9 on the avg for a Gin and Tonic! This isn't just me being thrifty, this seems to be the custom amongst locals as well, but I may be wrong!

well Me and my girl decided to go there on our way to amsterdam because a Flight on Icelandic Air is cheap and they'll allow you top have a three day lay-over and then fly out to anywhere else in europe for the cost of a ticket.

I like Iceland, But it isn't someplace I'd consider visiting again anytime soon. You can really take in much of Reykjavik in 3 days time. It's a very small city and really charming, Just not enough doing to keep you there for too long. there are lots of great antique places with wonderful Danish antiques! It's a nice place to unwind. I think there may be a maharishi shop there?? I'm probably wrong but for some reason I remember one.

Actually what I would recommend would be to Take a trip elswhere in Europe and then on your way home Fly Iceland Air from the country you're visiting back to Reykjavik. Stay Three days there and then use the connecting lay-over to go back home! Iceland is actually a perfect place to wrap up a vaction spent in a bustling metropolis before returning back to your daily grind, or another bustling metropolis. So scratch that not visiting it anytime soon because I would on a return trip back home!