MOVING to nyc in june

mlproject

i'm moving to NYC in june and wanted to get some advice on neighborhoods. i'm looking in brooklyn because i can't afford the village or LES, plus i'd like more space and have been seeing lofts on craigslist in the 1600 sq ft range. this would allow me studio space and my roommate room for his immense record collection/dj equipment.

williamsburg is an obvious first choice being a stone's throw from manhattan making my commute short, but i will trade out that for cheaper rent or more space.

what other bk neighborhoods do you recommend that aren't total shitholes? i've been seeing a lot of nice property listed for clinton hill, but don't know the area. i'm not really too concerned with living in a "cool" area. my only requirements are on a line (NOT the G) and not an area where i'll have to be worried about dodgy characters all the time.

i'm also starting to look for design and production positions at magazines or design houses... any of you have any leads? worth a shot.

Edited by mlproject on Mar 15, 2006 at 06:33 PM

hmm, the coastal invasion continues. if you are a trendy yuppie, stay around park slope and williamsburg. clinton hill is the next area in the process of gentrification.

nah just playing man. i really shouldnt judge you like that. but youll fast see my reason for suspicion.

toma açaí

Edited by azad on Mar 15, 2006 at 06:44 PM

^ astoria seems to becoming more and more popular. a bit out there but i think it might be worth it for the extra bit of quiet that you get..if you even get it. just go a little further east on the L, into bushwick. montrose ave stop is decent..

Astoria is a more quiet and peaceful and clean neighborhood imo. Good spaces and affordable. The only bitch is if you go out and party every night downtown, it takes you longer to get home. More creative types are slowly migrating there which means some East Villagy looking bars and restos popping up. I would recommend it if you're looking for a more laid back slow lifestyle.