12 replies to this topic

#1 confidant

confidant

semibored

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • joined 10 july 05

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

>> i hope to someday live outside of the us, and i'm wondering...what are the best tools and/or techniques (cds, books, etc.) that you would recommend to someone teaching themselves a new language?

#2 darkanimal

darkanimal

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • joined 20 january 05
  • biography:instagram: @darkanimalnyc @darkelephanttattoos

Posted 14 March 2006 - 05:16 PM

You can download some mp3s that will teach you phrases in diff languages. I feel this could be the most effective.

IMO, one of your worst outfits. You look like an andrognous fat gym teacher, those shorts are blech.

NYC contestant #13
Monster Sale!!! Cloak, RAF, Dior, N(N), more!!!

#3 holly go lightly

holly go lightly

semibored

• Pip
  • 87 posts
  • joined 25 december 05

Posted 14 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

besides going there, i've found that television is really important in making the leap from classroom or book learning to real life use. it has made me such a better speaker... it's SO much better than almost anything out there. although people dis tv, it's one of the best ways possible to learn a foreign language!

#4 azad

azad

superbored

• Pip
  • 470 posts
  • joined 22 february 06

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

all of these are good pointers, but i honestly think the best thing to do is to date someone who speaks a given foreign language. there is so much incentive then, plus youre around your teacher 24/7. that's how i got pretty good in portuguese
toma açaí
Posted Image

#5 darkanimal

darkanimal

superjunkie2K

• PipPip
  • 2,809 posts
  • joined 20 january 05
  • biography:instagram: @darkanimalnyc @darkelephanttattoos

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:54 PM

so true. I'm trying to communicate with this Spanish girl I've started dating. She speaks little English, I barely speak Spanish so we both help each other out.

IMO, one of your worst outfits. You look like an andrognous fat gym teacher, those shorts are blech.

NYC contestant #13
Monster Sale!!! Cloak, RAF, Dior, N(N), more!!!

#6 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 14 March 2006 - 11:33 PM

Agreed. My Japanese drastically improved after dating a Japanese girl. In particular for television, I suggest watching soap opera / dramas; since the dialogue tends to be more realistic. Also, in particular for Asian TV shows, lots of them tend to show sub-titles of what is said. This is great since you can learn how the characters are written. I usually dl my dramas off the net and if I don't understand a phrase, I pause the show and look it up online.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#7 azad

azad

superbored

• Pip
  • 470 posts
  • joined 22 february 06

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:28 AM

i took japanese in high school, it's a class i truly miss. my teacher was a beatnik type, who had us making our own films, drawing out own mangas, and all sorts of wild activities. you ever been out to Japan?
toma açaí
Posted Image

#8 djrajio

djrajio

postwhore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,349 posts
  • joined 03 april 05
  • talents:wearing ugly sweaters

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:46 AM

Live and work in Tokyo. Best intensive class ever.

Also probably a perverse lack of self-confidence that causes me to overcompensate by exceling in other aspects of my life and boasting about sexual/monetary exploits (or lack thereof) on a fashion board viewed by thousands of anonymous users to make me feel better.

#9 azad

azad

superbored

• Pip
  • 470 posts
  • joined 22 february 06

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

thats dope man. i loved it when i was there a few summers ago. i wish i had more time there though, we only had 12 days and we wanted to see so many spots in japan.

toma açaí
Edited by azad on Mar 14, 2006 at 07:53 PM
Posted Image

#10 holly go lightly

holly go lightly

semibored

• Pip
  • 87 posts
  • joined 25 december 05

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

yeah it helps if your sexy foreign sex object speaker doesn't speak English too well... otherwise you won't learn a thing. that's what happens to me!

#11 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06
  • talents:track bikes, design, architectural futures, violent/misunderstood subcultures, hand lettering

Posted 18 March 2006 - 09:10 AM

can anyone recommend some starting points for japanese? most of the books and CDs i've seen focus mainly on conversational japanese, but i want to learn how to read it as well.

i know this is a totally insane task to take on, but i've wanted to do this for some time and haven't really gotten any solid direction from anyone aside from 'take a class'
TUMBLR ||| U BUY! U BUY! MLP OFFICIAL GARAGE SALE THREAD -- [temporarily closed]

#12 punyfig

punyfig

semibored

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • joined 26 february 06

Posted 18 March 2006 - 01:21 PM

Here's a link I found a while ago <a href="http://maktos.jimmyseal.net/jip.html" target="_blank">http://maktos.jimmys...t/jip.html</a>. 11 lessons in total.
...and to think I actually used to iron denim.
thingywhatsitdoodah

#13 mlproject

mlproject

postwhore

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • joined 22 january 06
  • talents:track bikes, design, architectural futures, violent/misunderstood subcultures, hand lettering

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:19 AM

nice link
TUMBLR ||| U BUY! U BUY! MLP OFFICIAL GARAGE SALE THREAD -- [temporarily closed]