4 replies to this topic

#1 bucky

bucky

bored

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • joined 17 june 04

Posted 07 December 2004 - 03:19 PM

In Saigon over holidays. Looking for top picks for restaurants, shopping, hangouts...

#2 Ahlvahroe

Ahlvahroe

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • joined 08 july 05
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:vain
  • wish i was in:some place exciting
  • talents:food, denim, travel
  • denim:size 31

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

bump

let me know if you guys have any tips, i leave in 5 days and havent even started planning

#3 todesengel

todesengel

superbored

• Pip
  • 920 posts
  • joined 03 august 06
  • style:tribal
  • attitude:hypnotized

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Was there pretty recently, didn't spend a ton of time there but...

-Don't go to Apocalypse Now unless you're looking for a fucking ton of hookers (or, if you are looking for a ton of hookers, go to Apocalypse Now)
-Temple club has pretty nice drinks, good atmosphere.
-Drink a shit ton of ice coffee (ca phe sua da)
-Quan an ngon for slightly upscale street food-style digs. Didn't go to the one in Saigon, but the one in Hanoi is great.
-Hit up street food/small restaurants for Bahn xeo, bun bo hue, bahn mi, pho bo kho (or just pho), seafood around the market areas, etc.
-Forget the names of most of the nicer restaurants I hit up, but there are some very nice upscale french/vietnamese places all around the city.

Not much in the way of shopping as far as clothes go. Nice interior design shit, though.

#4 Ahlvahroe

Ahlvahroe

superfreak

• PipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • joined 08 july 05
  • style:dainty
  • attitude:vain
  • wish i was in:some place exciting
  • talents:food, denim, travel
  • denim:size 31

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

thanks dude, that sounds pretty cool.

also if any one is up on their vietnamese how do i say 'i dont eat seafood' cause well i dont like seafood, and i would rather tell the people that before hand instead of leaving a barely touched plate at a restaurant/street stand.

#5 who8mahrice

who8mahrice

superbored

• Pip
  • 1,028 posts
  • joined 03 march 08
  • denim:size 29

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

Depending on who you're talking to, the "I" will change. The "don't eat seafood" will be "khĂ´ng ăn đồ biển."As for writing out the pronunciation in English, my best attempt is something along the lines of: kh-ah-ng aa-ng dohh bee-in, where ah is like when you open your mouth and say ah, aa is like the a in pass, ng is kind of a nasally sound...hard to describe it. It's the beginning of nguyen, i'm sure you could find someone with that name to pronounce for you. dohh, the o is pronounced like saying "letter o" with it dragged out and in a low tone. and "bee-in" is asked like a question. Tonal languages are really hard to explain in words, sorry.

Oh, and I guess the most generic way to say I would be "t-oy" except the t isn't harsh like in normal english. again, hard to describe in words but if you just say "toy", people would probably understand you. but be warned, "toy" is really informal.