Chicago Meetup

Leeacto

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think I can get to SanFrancisco before you guys finish.

Thank heavens. I have a coupla' spots to hit up, Sid, if you are free Saturday. Tweeds, you in town by that point?

Playin it by ear for the weekend. I regret ordering the Slayer from Kuma's when I wasn't even that hungry; I tried my best anyway.

Thanks for swinging by jake431 and jimmyc.

^Are you down for Chicago style Hot Dog's tomorrow? Or anything really, I'm free alllll day Thursday and Friday...

Maybe Friday? Tomorrow is vegetarian lunch with jimmyc. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow night my party and I are trying to visit Kingston Mine for ribs and blues music. I'll hit you up with details tomorrow!

^Friday works for me if you're available in the afternoon...if we go around 3:30ish to Hot Doug's we can skip the long lines and still get some Duck Fat Fries before they close at 4...But yeah let me know what's up whenever and apologies again for skipping out...

11446_10100102181893484_2323639_58915268_6310437_n.jpg

yup...btw, Hot Doug's is cash only...

Thank heavens. I have a coupla' spots to hit up, Sid, if you are free Saturday. Tweeds, you in town by that point?
Flight on the 28th is at 7pm. Let's meetup and compare moustaches!

getting in on Sunday morning but will be concussed- going to have to play it by ear i reckon. but we'll work something out

Hot Dougs is a good call - but is there really a time when there is no line?

Hot Dougs is a good call - but is there really a time when there is no line?

It really depends...usually when I go right before 4 it has already died down since they close then but either way I got me a craving for some encased meats so I'll be there regardless! Of course you're welcome to join as well...Didn't get to meet you the other night...

I've only had two dogs at Hot Dougs - the standard Chicago Style dog and their hot link with the coca-cola bbq sauce and cheddar. I ordered the Chicago Style because I consider myself something of a hot dog snob, and I figured that any place worth the name in Chicago will have a good one. Doug does - the steamed dog has a good snap in the casing and the toppings and poopy seed bun are fresh. Never had the duck fat fries yet though...definitely tempting.

^There's really little need to venture outside of the regular Chicago style dog in my opinion, for all the reasons you mentioned...Though the foie gras has been labeled the "best hot dog ever" by many, I like to keep it simple...As for the duck fat fries, they taste like clogged arteries with every bite, which is to say, amazing.

I am frustrated by that statement too. The foie gras dog is "the best". Well, if I can draw analogies here - a Chicago Style dog is a classic, the raw selvedge of the bad for you encased meat universe - at least in Chicago. The foie gras dog, sure it might be good, but it will never be classic. It's a pair of diesels.

I know I am in the minority here, but I am glad to hear someone else, in my opinion "gets it".

It's the same reason I am very particular about my Italian beef sandwich - to me it may be the most quintessential of all Chicago foods, simply because there are NO other cities that have it in any form (well, except for LA, by way of the Portillo's out there in Anaheim).

Not to derail this existential hot dog discussion, but it took me a few days to see my first jailbait corny white girl in the city — they must have all gone home for spring break.