Sydney neighborhood advice?

aNYthing

Depends on what your scene is...?

Anything inner-city westish i.e. Surry Hills, Chippendale, Darlinghurst are pumping full of emerging/struggling/trying up-and-coming everything, lots of little galleries, design studios, little vintages stores and markets and cafes and stuff. Inner west places like Glebe and Balmain are similar. The eastern 'burbs are similar, and depending on your point of view, full of your rich young (or young with the help of the surgeon's knife) things or wanna-be creative types who may or may not simply be girls and boys about the town i.e. Bondi, Paddington, Double Bay and co. Woollahra is nice and quite exclusive, so is Rushcutter's Bay, Pott's Point has lots of cool cafes is another sought after area and they're both just next to King's Cross full of uber trendy, exclusive and more upmarket clubs, pubs and bars alongside the seediest of seedy, being the 'red light' district where your ratty hookers, tramps and homeless druggos walk alongside your moneyed and/or c-list celeb type skanks, tramps and druggos - all part of it's charm!!!

Hope that helps some...

• 3 weeks later...

i'ts also worth making a trip to the northern beaches ..most of which are in the guide books .but further north there is also pearl beach and patonga..they're lovely and a great drive thru the national parks then south in the other direction is thirroul and austimer..my favourite places ......i'd also try to find a way to get to scotland island or goat island ..its not groovy or hip ..but v NOT new york ..which as a sydneysider now resident in NYC ...is what i dream of /long for ...lush green, beautiful water and clean air ...and not a hipster to be tripped over. There is very little undiscovered or secret about darlinghurst let me tell you.