Where to live in LA???

Toliet

Ok fellas, I'm getting shipped to LA and need some advice on where to live. I'm looking to live in areas with an eclectic crowd. I'm not searching for the West Hollywood highlife, but rather an area of people from the art, tattoo, gay and those kinds- communities. I would love to be close to the beach as well. I can spend anywhere from $1400-2000. Any advice is appreciated. Thx

well, welcome to the LA fam-bam,

depends on your interest, for me i like pasadena, its eclectic and has history behind it, close to the rose bowl for the swap meet, and close enought o downtown.

lill tokyo is hopping lately, has alot of great JP restaraunt and have alot of nice loft with great city view.

and ofcourse los feliz, silver lake,

actually century city is great also,

I lived in Torrance CA for over 8 years of my life. Great location, great weather, near the beach, near Del Amo Mall, near Palos Verdes golf courses, lots of Japanese and Korean. Manhattan Beach is also great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^^ $1000 is about the minimum for a decent place in LA. If you want a nice-ass calm, clean and safe place look into Playa Del Rey or Marina Del Rey, they are in the middle of Manhattan Beach and Venice Beach, but they are expensive (I live here and I like it). Overall though, you really can't go wrong with Venice, it is beautiful, cheaper than many areas and is a great place. I dunno if the Silverlake/Echo Park/Los Feliz people were joking but holy god are those areas shitholes.....cheap as hell, but definitely shitholes......otherwise check out West Hollywood if you want cheap rent/close to bars, nightclubs, shopping, etc. L.A. is a blast.......it just depends what you're into........

Edited by englandmj7 on Mar 1, 2006 at 01:05 AM

• 4 weeks later...

And thus, we have the LA dichotomy, West v. East. I live in Silver Lake and wouldn't necessarily characterize it as a shithole. Venice felt basically the same as here when I lived there. In fact, Venice is the oceanfront mirror of Silver Lake/Los Feliz, so it all depends on how you feel about the ocean. You won't have a problem finding something nice in your price range in either, so I would recommend extensive searching when you get here. Don't rely wholly on craigslist because many of the best units are found by walking around and doing some investigating. On the East side, if you're really looking for a bargain, check Echo Park. It is further toward d'town than Silver Lake and not as overvalued. Art, tattoo, gay scenes are strong in all of the above, but Silver Lake is historically a gay enclave. Playa and Marina Del Ray are on the luxury side and not as involved in art/tattoo. I cosign Little Tokyo as being pretty cool. MOCA and the Chinatown galleries super close, but I'm not sure about the housing situation. Lots of newer "lofts" and such. Anyway, welcome and good luck.