arcteryx veilance

Stoopid question: How do you pack the Actuator jacket into its own 'stow pocket'? I mean, considering the gore-tex fabric, should one fold it or stuff it or what? Idiot me spent 10 min trying and fearing of killing the pocket zipper. Thanks for any funny replies

I usually buy waterproof compressioni sacks / stuff sacks (I think that's what they are called) from REI or outdoor stores and gently roll up my veilance jackets into them

with the mainline arcteryx e.g. ascent, i can usually stuff them into the internal pockets or whatever with ease e.g. squamish jacket

Edited by herpsky

The material used in the summer voronois and blazer lt is exceptionally fast drying. Got caught in a downpour yesterday, and while it has little water resistance to speak of, it was dry to the touch in about 15-20 minutes. Three times as fast as my outlier dungarees.

Agreed, it's great for summer downpours. I would love to see a FW Voronoi in a similar but slightly heavier fabric, such as the 'Cresta' fabric used in the Mainline Perimeter pant, but I hear they're going to be a wool/cotton/spandex blend? I hope that wears better than last years'.

No experience with the Actuator pocket, but as others have described, I think Gore-Tex rolls quite well, and find thick rubber bands indispensable for stowing layers in a bag. The stuffed into a pouch technique, I believe, applies better to less firm fabrics such as those found in lightweight down jackets or Pertex Shield.

Edited by Loos Threads

Agreed, it's great for summer downpours. I would love to see a FW Voronoi in a similar but slightly heavier fabric, such as the 'Cresta' fabric used in the Mainline Perimeter pant, but I hear they're going to be a wool/cotton/spandex blend? I hope that wears better than last years'.

i own a pair of perimeters i never wear because the fabric drapes so weird. i think the anode pant is the wool one, but i also saw a picture of a wool panelled pant that had a voronoi like pocket configuration.

Thanks, I only have the Perimeter shorts (PS are yours 32s?). I think one of the great things about the Voronois is that the articulated patterning might counteract poorly draping materials. 

And for above, I've certainly used Gore-Tex by the sea, and as always, by keeping it cleaned regularly, I don't think any wear was enhanced due to those conditions.  

agree on the patterning - even with the wafer thin ss15 fabric the voronois drape suprisingly well. 

my perimeters are a 30 waist in some brown color. i like the terratex fabric used in the ramparts, i have the shorts and they're practically industructible.

I thought that perhaps the Terratex fabric was what was used in the SS Voronois, judging from the material blends detailed on the website. I suppose it is heavier from what you suggest.

I'd like to see more softshells used, the cotton blends seem prone to premature deterioration.

I am super interested to see how Veilance handles down mid layers this fall, and maybe even shoes in a year or two...

Yeah, cotton is fragile, especially so when laminated. Although i have a Survey jacket that's a nylon/cotton twill blend laminated to windstopper and it's pretty much indestructible. I think Lars said one time they've been trying to find a fabric similar to it for some time now. 

Information regarding Galvanic IS/Imbric recall from Veilance:

Arc'teryx is committed to creating durable products that perform exceptionally well. We have recently discovered that one of our face fabrics is not meeting our standards. The products below are susceptible to premature abrasion of the face fabric. All fabrics are subject to abrasion through wear-and-tear over time, however this is occurring more quickly than what we find acceptable. 

The following models are affected:

1. Fall 2014 Galvanic IS Coat (Model #14820)

2. Spring 2015 Imbric Jacket (Model #15642)

We have contacted each official Arc'teryx retailer and customer who purchased the product online. 

I apologize for the inconvenience and would like to offer you the following options for your case:

1. Replacement with a different item out of our Fall 2015 Arc'teryx Veilance collection or Outdoor line

2. Replacement with the revised Galvanic in 2016 

3. Credit

a. Refund possible if directly purchased through Veilance.com

b. If purchased through a store the credit will need to be issued through the store

In case you should have any questions please do not hesitate and contact us under 1-866-259-6656

which region are you in/is this for? I've emailed them about 4 days ago (based uk) and they haven't bothered to respond yet.

The material used in the summer voronois and blazer lt is exceptionally fast drying. Got caught in a downpour yesterday, and while it has little water resistance to speak of, it was dry to the touch in about 15-20 minutes. Three times as fast as my outlier dungarees.

+1 Really pleased with mine. Using most days now.

Yeah i took a while to warm up to the new fabric compared to the old twill but it's very comfortable. Actually considering picking up a blazer LT to pair it with after all.

Re: UK customer service, make sure you use the right contact form. Their european warranty form is hidden in a paragraph somewhere lower on the warranty page. 

Not sure if this is old news but I was chatting to the guys in Arcteryx London last week and they confirmed a women's Veilance range coming soon. Apparently they've taken on a new female designer to push the women's range forward but they couldn't confirm when we'd be seeing the first releases. 

Yeah i took a while to warm up to the new fabric compared to the old twill but it's very comfortable. Actually considering picking up a blazer LT to pair it with after all.

Re: UK customer service, make sure you use the right contact form. Their european warranty form is hidden in a paragraph somewhere lower on the warranty page. 

Thank you. I have the right form now!

which region are you in/is this for? I've emailed them about 4 days ago (based uk) and they haven't bothered to respond yet.

i bought mine from mrporter but haven't been contacted? 

how to get on this?

Not sure if this is old news but I was chatting to the guys in Arcteryx London last week and they confirmed a women's Veilance range coming soon. Apparently they've taken on a new female designer to push the women's range forward but they couldn't confirm when we'd be seeing the first releases. 

I seem to recall that this was expected last winter already. Then we found out that Conroy Nachtigal (and the former Arc CEO) quit Veilance instead...

Did they say anything about her working on the men's line as well? 

So, I finally had a chance to chat with the Germany sales manager for Veilance again, and a question came up: She seems to think that Veilance is (or should be) mainly rooted in the fashion side of things, with performance and materials playing a secondary role; I tend to think that men's teachwear / performance men's wear such as Veilance is more of a cross-over between the worlds of fashion and those of (outdoors) performance.

It's probably a very limited and self-selected sample I'd get here, but still wanted to ask: What's your attitude towards that? Why the interest in Veilance? Fashion or Gore-Tex - or fashionable Gore-Tex? ;)

(Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss publicly, for whatever reason.)

this. the appeal in veilance lies in the seamless blend of performance and style. emphasizing one over the other would make it a lot less interesting.

that and the ultra minimalist aesthetic.

I don't think Veilance has anything to do with fashion at all. The two features of fashion imo are it says something and it changes. Veilance's clothes are classic conservative designs and the collections don't express a theme, mood, argument or so on. The collections mostly consist of the same old clothes every season. Although there are some function and fabric improvements there is little aesthetic variation. It's not fashion any more than a pair of glasses or a nice watch is fashion.

That said, I do think Veilance is stylish. It does look good and pairs still with other minimalist fashionable clothing. There's obviously some thought put into the appearance by the designer

There was twitter chatter recently by Abe and Errolson about Outlier's and Acronym's, respectively, travails with their women's clothing. I'm curious to see how Veilance tackles the challenge

That said, I do think Veilance is stylish. It does look good and pairs still with other minimalist fashionable clothing. There's obviously some thought put into the appearance by the designer

I love that bit. The kind of "fashion" I'm most interested in myself is oriented on good style (which I'd even consider a part of the performance, together with the function), not anything that changes with the seasons.

Of course, then I think of something like blazers or suit jackets as timeless pieces - and notice 1970's lapels ;)

I don't think Veilance has anything to do with fashion at all. The two features of fashion imo are it says something and it changes. Veilance's clothes are classic conservative designs and the collections don't express a theme, mood, argument or so on. The collections mostly consist of the same old clothes every season. Although there are some function and fabric improvements there is little aesthetic variation. It's not fashion any more than a pair of glasses or a nice watch is fashion.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. They release colors each season that are calculated and predicated on high-fashion's whims. The very fact that Veilance is cut anatomically and body hugging has nothing to do with function and everything to do with form and fashionable silhouettes.

If they 'didn't have anything to do with fashion' as you state, we would be buying LEAF gear 100%.  The theme of Veilance is minimalist utility informed by homages to classic jackets (m65, car coats, etc), but that are tweaked to our current fashion (slim, paring away details like belt loops, epaulets, etc). You can't look at the Galvanic or Sinter jackets and say they're exactly like jackets that came before.  

There was twitter chatter recently by Abe and Errolson about Outlier's and Acronym's, respectively, travails with their women's clothing. I'm curious to see how Veilance tackles the challenge

Ha! That was my wife instigating that.