arcteryx veilance

Great news!

Now, is the Actuator on Haven the same as the one on the official website?

Any reason not to buy it from Haven?

What's the great news? Yes, the actuator on haven is the same as the one on the veilance online store. There is no reason not to buy it from Haven (unless you want to pay more I guess).

Anyone have experience with their warranty department?  Good/bad?  I'm trying to work something out with them and it's like pulling teeth.  Seems uncharacteristic...I thought AV generally stood behind its products?

I have had two experiences - both items were replaced in a week and the people I spoke with were friendly and accommodating.

Also, not to spam the thread. But now that I am back from my 2 week trip in southeast Asia I have some feedback and a review on how the Nomin held up.

If anyone in interested just quote this and I'll throw up the review and photos.

Looking forward to that review on the nomin pack firstdoorontheleft! I just picked one up but am not sure whether to keep it. Looks great and all but I want to know what the durability is going to be like and if this pack will last.

Anyone have experience with their warranty department?  Good/bad?  I'm trying to work something out with them and it's like pulling teeth.  Seems uncharacteristic...I thought AV generally stood behind its products?

I've had a really good experience with their actual warranty department, but their customer service department can be a bit unaccommodating. My theory is with the growing sales their cs dept has a lot more requests than they're used to. 

What are they giving you a hard time about?

I have a size 33 apparat in black that I got from thecorner that doesn't fit. I'll let it go for cost ($265) otherwise it's getting returned.

Edited by tomenugen

A little more experience than I'd like with them; they can be a little hard to talk to but I have never had anything not work out rather nicely.

I've had a really good experience with their actual warranty department, but their customer service department can be a bit unaccommodating. My theory is with the growing sales their cs dept has a lot more requests than they're used to. 

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  Makes me feel better.  I'll refrain from posting my situation/feedback until it's completely resolved since it's still ongoing so I'm hoping for a good outcome.

Surprised that new Field Jacket SV in size XL made through the weekend on the bay. Can't imagine finding a better jacket for the price.

What would be the difference between Field Jacket SV and Field Jacket Insulated? They are both winter jackets but why the name difference?

What would be the difference between Field Jacket SV and Field Jacket Insulated? They are both winter jackets but why the name difference?

I think this is something that you might want to call in to ask. 

1-866-259-6656

(toll free in North America)

or 604.960.3163 (international)

9:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST

Monday - Friday

Well, the basic difference is that Field jacket IS (Insulated) is made of Gore-Tex Pro + Coreloft insulation.

Field jacket SV is the Gore-Tex Pro shell only, with no additional fiber insulation added. So, the SV is not only a winter jacket, as SV stands for severe weather. 

So things came out well in the end.  Had a pair of Voronois that I bought directly from AV, and they developed a rip in about a year.  If I wore these while doing strenuous activity, I would've ate the loss, although disappointed in the "quality" and price, but 95% of the time I wore them stationary at my desk at work.  I bike to work in a kit (it's quite a long ride, and we don't have showers), so I keep clothes at the office to change into.  So my Voronois saw a very unexciting lifestyle, so to have them rip from me literally standing/sitting everyday in them was a huge disappointment.  I asked for a refund (which their policy allowed for at the time, it was changed during my 20+ email chain with them...) and they said there was nothing they could do because it was "normal wear and tear."  I tried to explain that I didn't see anything normal about my situation, but they insisted it was "normal", which I thought was a dangerous precedent/position to take for AV--that $400 pants ripping in a year of a docile life would be considered "normal."  And they even said they rarely get AV pieces in for repair/warranty because they hold up well (as they should, given the price), so I further used that to say that then wouldn't my case clearly be the exception and not the rule, and therefore not normal?  Anyway, after several weeks of back and forth (hence the "pulling teeth") they finally agreed to give me AV credit in the original amount (no sales tax though :().  So all in all it was a good outcome (although I would've much rather preferred refund), but it took way too many emails and fighting for on my part to get them to budge.

That's disappointing news. Good for you for sticking with it because that little anecdote leads me to believe they were banking on you tiring of the back and forth and giving up in the end.

Edited by TresUnCool

So things came out well in the end.  Had a pair of Voronois that I bought directly from AV, and they developed a rip in about a year. 

This happened to mine as well, but well within six months. I got a replacement pair right away, so no complaints there, but they did mention that usually they don't cover tears under warranty as they consider it normal wear and tear. I, too, was genuinely shocked that any company, let alone one with arc'teryx's reputation, would consider it normal for a $400 pair of pants to become unwearable after a year.

I really wonder if, because veilance caters to a different market than mainline/outdoor, they also have a wildly different set of warranty rules. I know of people sending delaminated gore jackets from arc mainline in after years upon years of outdoor use and having them replaced under warranty with entirely new models.

The two things that really sold me on the bird back in the day was that, yes, you pay a premium, but the product you get is virtually indestructible, and if something goes awry, they'll back you up. This still holds for outdoor, but I'm starting to think that veilance just goes by different rules. 

Veilance definitely does go by some different rules, but it seems to also depend on whom you happen to get in touch with. My Voronoi had the same problem (and there's now a video review that isn't exactly the happiest with Veilance) - but I didn't have that problem with the warranty dep't; they were pretty good about accepting and issuing credit.

They do seem to have a tendency to try and treat customers of Veilance the same as other luxury brand reps treat customers, i.e. with a touch of arrogance, though.

Enlightening stories; thanks guys.  That kind of makes sense.  I had heard of Arcteryx providing great warranty service for the mainline, so I assumed that would be my experience with AV, especially given the price difference.  Now to hear that other Voronois have experienced the same problem, I wonder if I should write back again and fight for that refund, ha.

Enlightening stories; thanks guys.  That kind of makes sense.  I had heard of Arcteryx providing great warranty service for the mainline, so I assumed that would be my experience with AV, especially given the price difference.  Now to hear that other Voronois have experienced the same problem, I wonder if I should write back again and fight for that refund, ha.

I think that is exactly how you get to experience their 'dark side'... Refunds don't seem to be a part of their policy/vocabulary, at least not for that sort of problem...

I think that is exactly how you get to experience their 'dark side'... Refunds don't seem to be a part of their policy/vocabulary, at least not for that sort of problem...

Personally, I would not start off demanding a refund. As someone who has worked service, that often strikes me as entitled (no offence intended). Arc'teryx is known for their experimentation, so not every material choice is going to prove successful - I think that is what they have learned now with the old Voronoi. Buying one of their pieces means you buy into their design methodology, and you might be better received by bringing the flaw to their attention, being open to their warranty options, and seeing how it plays out. I get the impression that they use returns as an opportunity for research and development, and by inferring you stick with them by having your item replaced it is suggested that you are a committed customer. I had mine replaced with the new model within a week, no questions asked. You might be interested that I wore them out on a long bike ride and they performed flawlessly - the lightweight and addition of stretch is a real improvement over the old model as far as active use is concerned. I would love to see it again in FW in a similar but heavier material.

Personally, I would not start off demanding a refund. As someone who has worked service, that often strikes me as entitled (no offence intended). Arc'teryx is known for their experimentation, so not every material choice is going to prove successful - I think that is what they have learned now with the old Voronoi. Buying one of their pieces means you buy into their design methodology, and you might be better received by bringing the flaw to their attention, being open to their warranty options, and seeing how it plays out. I get the impression that they use returns as an opportunity for research and development, and by inferring you stick with them by having your item replaced it is suggested that you are a committed customer. I had mine replaced with the new model within a week, no questions asked. You might be interested that I wore them out on a long bike ride and they performed flawlessly - the lightweight and addition of stretch is a real improvement over the old model as far as active use is concerned. I would love to see it again in FW in a similar but heavier material.

When I exchange money for a good, the idea usually is that the company should stand behind the good and the function implied.  If the good is not functional, why wouldn't I expect a refund?  If my new car kept breaking down after purchase, federal law literally allows me to return it for full asking price, so why shouldn't I have the same mindset when acquiring other useful items?

Arc'teryx mainline has a no questions asked return policy. Veilance is supposed to be the pinnacle of their achievements, and so should manifest a customer policy that reflects its heritage.  Buying anything means that you simply think your money is better used in that object. If said object doesn't perform, you have no obligation to pretend to be satisfied, within reason of course.

When I exchange money for a good, the idea usually is that the company should stand behind the good and the function implied.  If the good is not functional, why wouldn't I expect a refund?  If my new car kept breaking down after purchase, federal law literally allows me to return it for full asking price, so why shouldn't I have the same mindset when acquiring other useful items?

Arc'teryx mainline has a no questions asked return policy. Veilance is supposed to be the pinnacle of their achievements, and so should manifest a customer policy that reflects its heritage.  Buying anything means that you simply think your money is better used in that object. If said object doesn't perform, you have no obligation to pretend to be satisfied, within reason of course.

All well and good, but the attitude among luxury men's wear purveyors and similar - on which Veilance generally seems to be oriented - is a very different one. Still not as bad as the true luxury brands', but not exactly like an outdoor brand's, either.

That said, as long as I didn't ask for a refund, my experiences with Veilance customer service have been good. I'd say, excellent, in fact.

Hello, everyone! First time posting here. Got a Blazer LT and love it! wondering a good pair of pants to pair with it? Thanks!

The SS15 Voronoi pants are made with the same fabric as the Blazer LT. I think they designed the pair so it makes a matching suit. The Apparats is also partly made with same fabric and makes a decent alternative. The Blazer LT is nylon, lightweight, not canvassed thus completely casual but the taped seams give it a semblance of structure; it's doesn't quite fit with most other technical pants imo especially because the blazer lt is so thin. Try Outlier schoeller pants or, if all else fails, blue jeans goes with everything

So things came out well in the end.  Had a pair of Voronois that I bought directly from AV, and they developed a rip in about a year.  If I wore these while doing strenuous activity, I would've ate the loss, although disappointed in the "quality" and price, but 95% of the time I wore them stationary at my desk at work.  I bike to work in a kit (it's quite a long ride, and we don't have showers), so I keep clothes at the office to change into.  So my Voronois saw a very unexciting lifestyle, so to have them rip from me literally standing/sitting everyday in them was a huge disappointment.  I asked for a refund (which their policy allowed for at the time, it was changed during my 20+ email chain with them...) and they said there was nothing they could do because it was "normal wear and tear."  I tried to explain that I didn't see anything normal about my situation, but they insisted it was "normal", which I thought was a dangerous precedent/position to take for AV--that $400 pants ripping in a year of a docile life would be considered "normal."  And they even said they rarely get AV pieces in for repair/warranty because they hold up well (as they should, given the price), so I further used that to say that then wouldn't my case clearly be the exception and not the rule, and therefore not normal?  Anyway, after several weeks of back and forth (hence the "pulling teeth") they finally agreed to give me AV credit in the original amount (no sales tax though :().  So all in all it was a good outcome (although I would've much rather preferred refund), but it took way too many emails and fighting for on my part to get them to budge.

This happened to mine as well, but well within six months. I got a replacement pair right away, so no complaints there, but they did mention that usually they don't cover tears under warranty as they consider it normal wear and tear. I, too, was genuinely shocked that any company, let alone one with arc'teryx's reputation, would consider it normal for a $400 pair of pants to become unwearable after a year.

I really wonder if, because veilance caters to a different market than mainline/outdoor, they also have a wildly different set of warranty rules. I know of people sending delaminated gore jackets from arc mainline in after years upon years of outdoor use and having them replaced under warranty with entirely new models.

The two things that really sold me on the bird back in the day was that, yes, you pay a premium, but the product you get is virtually indestructible, and if something goes awry, they'll back you up. This still holds for outdoor, but I'm starting to think that veilance just goes by different rules. 

When I exchange money for a good, the idea usually is that the company should stand behind the good and the function implied. If the good is not functional, why wouldn't I expect a refund? If my new car kept breaking down after purchase, federal law literally allows me to return it for full asking price, so why shouldn't I have the same mindset when acquiring other useful items?

Arc'teryx mainline has a no questions asked return policy. Veilance is supposed to be the pinnacle of their achievements, and so should manifest a customer policy that reflects its heritage. Buying anything means that you simply think your money is better used in that object. If said object doesn't perform, you have no obligation to pretend to be satisfied, within reason of course.

All well and good, but the attitude among luxury men's wear purveyors and similar - on which Veilance generally seems to be oriented - is a very different one. Still not as bad as the true luxury brands', but not exactly like an outdoor brand's, either.

That said, as long as I didn't ask for a refund, my experiences with Veilance customer service have been good. I'd say, excellent, in fact.

Veilance's warranty was actually better than the mainline Arc'teryx. Veilance previously offered a refund option:

Arc'teryx proudly guarantees the quality, performance and fit of all our products. Items with defects in materials or workmanship during the practical lifetime of the product will be replaced, repaired, or refunded at the discretion of Arc'teryx. Product damaged through wear and tear, misuse or neglect may be repaired at a nominal charge.

while mainline did not:

Arc'teryx proudly guarantees the quality and performance of all our products. Items with defects in materials or workmanship will be replaced or repaired at the discretion of Arc'teryx for the practical lifetime of the product. Product damaged through wear and tear, misuse, or neglect may be repaired at a nominal charge.

Also Arc'teryx explicitly explains "defects in materials or workmanship" and what is warranty worthy:  

If the overall condition of the garment is still solid and does NOT look to be neglected, misuses or abused, and the issues are with the materials (zippers, buckles, fabrics) or workmanship (seams, seam tap, construction), it will usually be classified as a warranty repair/replacement.

Other outdoors stores/brands with famous full refund policies aren't completely 'no questions asked'. REI, MEC, Patagucci etc all make disclaimers about not covering wear and tear in their warranty. Many techwear brands have curtailed their extended full refund policy because it gets abused...

Was there a defect in Voronois? I don't have any experience there. Veilance's stockists routinely sold out of the Voronois every season (sometimes before sales!) and most reviews were positive. If Veilance's customer service says they received few warranty requests it probably means that performance was satisfactory. I understand why you want a refund though but that's a big ask

Veilance's warranty was actually better than the mainline Arc'teryx. Veilance previously offered a refund option:

Arc'teryx proudly guarantees the quality, performance and fit of all our products. Items with defects in materials or workmanship during the practical lifetime of the product will be replaced, repaired, or refunded at the discretion of Arc'teryx. Product damaged through wear and tear, misuse or neglect may be repaired at a nominal charge.

Their FAQ still has this and even says " If you are not totally satisfied with your Veilance purchase, Arc'teryx will gladly exchange your product or provide you with a refund."

Edited by Inkinsurgent

Their FAQ still has this and even says " If you are not totally satisfied with your Veilance purchase, Arc'teryx will gladly exchange your product or provide you with a refund."

Their FAQ:

Arc'teryx proudly guarantees the quality and performance of all our products. Items with defects in materials or workmanship will be replaced or repaired at the discretion of Arc'teryx for the practical lifetime of the product. Product damaged through wear and tear, misuse, or neglect may be repaired at a nominal charge. If you are not totally satisfied with your Veilance purchase, Arc'teryx will gladly exchange your product or provide you with a refund. For more detailed information, please visit our Return Policy page.

And their Returns Policy:

Items purchased online from veilance.arcteryx.com can be returned for a full refund within 60 days of their original date of order. All items being submitted for refund must not be worn, and must still have all original tags attached to the garments.

I've returned Veilance items before (bought the wrong size) and gotten refunds hassle free and 'no questions asked'. That's different from their warranty service which seems to now be the same as the mainline.