arcteryx veilance

did you ever try the Galvanic ? if so how does it compare to the others?

I didn't see the Galvanic at the store. Judging by pictures of it online, it seems most similar to the monitor jacket. However the monitor jacket tapers a bit more from the waist down. It has a really sleek trimmed look to it.

Ink is right on about the galvanic.  Its a definite head turner and I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever expected it to get.  Yes its a bit fragile with the cotton faced gore tex, but I think that fabric makes it more versatile (doesn't look like you're wearing a rain coat when its not raining/snowing) Don't forget the galvanic is a f/w jacket tho with coreloft insulation.  For s/s, considering the other models didn't work for you, perhaps try the field jacket LT. I've never owned one but it gets lots of love on this forum. 

30% off is not bad for a Veilance item, although sometimes you can catch a better deal at 40% or greater. If you find a jacket you really adore and get a lot of use from, the extra 10-20% seems to become negligible. 

Edited by Sureal

Ink is right on about the galvanic.  Its a definite head turner and I've gotten more compliments on it than I ever expected it to get.  Yes its a bit fragile with the cotton faced gore tex, but I think that fabric makes it more versatile (doesn't look like you're wearing a rain coat when its not raining/snowing) Don't forget the galvanic is a f/w jacket tho with coreloft insulation.  For s/s, considering the other models didn't work for you, perhaps try the field jacket LT. I've never owned one but it gets lots of love on this forum. 

30% off is not bad for a Veilance item, although sometimes you can catch a better deal at 40% or greater. If you find a jacket you really adore and get a lot of use from, the extra 10-20% seems to become negligible. 

Sporting life had the glavanic on for 50%off the CAD price which comes out to about 490 US with the exchange. Great price for the muricans out there if you can get a proxy.

Tried on the Actuator, Isogon, and the Monitor jacket today. The Actuator was rather plain and looked boring in person. I liked that it was fully waterproof, but for the price it's rather unimaginative. The Isogan was really nice with the slit sleeves, would have loved that design in the Goretex. Would have bought the Isogon, but the cut caused the jacket to lift up around the front waist area when zipped up. Sizing up to an extra large solved the problem, but the shoulder area was too slouched. The monitor jacket was really nice and had a great fit. Loved the fish tail design on the back. But I wasn't sure how practical and versatile a thigh length jacket like that would be.

Kinda bummed out, was really hoping I'd buy my first Veilance jacket today.

I just bought the Isogon in black today and it is definitely the jacket to get this season other than the monitor. You are right about having to size up, I usually wear a small but had to go with the size medium. The brushed poplin material and design updates really surprised me though. 

um, http://www.barneys.com/arc%27teryx-veilance-three-layer-gore-tex%C2%AE-hooded-align-jacket-503516946.html#prefn1=brand&pagetype=brand&prefv1=Arc'Teryx+Veilance&start=5

one last align jacket in size medium available for $399.

i would buy it but i have enough goretex for a small alpine expedition.

i need no more shells.

Just got my Liminal pants in. I'm 5'10, 175lb with large thighs and booty from squatting. Size 33 fit me perfectly. Roomy in the thigh and have a pretty aggressive taper below the knee. They're also really long and are meant to be stacked. Really cool details on these. They have a water repellent coating over the cotton material and water just beads and slides off. 

Sizing advice, I would go with your regular pant size, not your vanity sized APC's or jeans. If anything, measure your waist and compare it to the measurements on the Arcteryx site. These fit similar in the top block to Club Monaco Davis Slim chinos in my opinion. I suspect the fabric might stretch a bit with some wear since they're cotton, but don't take my word for it. 

Some selfie stick finessing below

y2iMgTu.jpg

6BBPWGA.jpg

Just got my Liminal pants in. I'm 5'10, 175lb with large thighs and booty from squatting. Size 33 fit me perfectly. Roomy in the thigh and have a pretty aggressive taper below the knee. They're also really long and are meant to be stacked. Really cool details on these. They have a water repellent coating over the cotton material and water just beads and slides off. 

Sizing advice, I would go with your regular pant size, not your vanity sized APC's or jeans. If anything, measure your waist and compare it to the measurements on the Arcteryx site. These fit similar in the top block to Club Monaco Davis Slim chinos in my opinion. I suspect the fabric might stretch a bit with some wear since they're cotton, but don't take my word for it. 

y2iMgTu.jpg

6BBPWGA.jpg

Do you own a selfie stick?

Nvm.  You wrote that you do.

Edited by shieldsy

It's really great to hear from other people with big thighs. I have absolutely massive quads and a huge ass from oly lifting and 99% of pants are just too tight in the thigh and give me a ghetto booty. I may try and snag a pair myself. Hopefully the Georgia heat and black pants won't lead to a heat stroke.

With that said, those pants look great on you man

Alpha LT was quite a bit baggier than my Veilance Field Jacket SV in the same size.

isn't alpha lt an in-line jacket? veilance shells runs a least a size smaller than the regular. it's hard to say these days because i own a fair number of arc for trail running (ascension?) but they run really small. 

i bought my galvanic is for 40% off. the cotton lined shell is more fragile than regular goretex but it's a true head turner. my coworker calls it "robinhood meets matrix", which is pretty funny but kind of accurate.

leaf just doesn't look good. maybe it's milspec but kinda kimoy.

i own/have owned a bunch of leaf, it's hard to pull off because it's so utilitarian looking. no style to it really. but the gen1 bravo is still the best softshell i ever owned.

Leaf stuff is all patterned to go over a chest rig (plate carrier) so it's always going to fit bigger and shorter. As far as the shells go.

It's all crazy well made, but it's definitely more end use specific.

The hoods are gigantic as well as they are made to fit over combat helmets.

Stopped in to the Seattle store today to get the requisite look at this season's goods in person.

Pants: As seems to be the case every season, they don't have the apparats in store, which is easily the most discussed pant around these parts. New lightweight voronois are interesting but the fit has never worked for me. Voronoi shorts in particular felt short in the stride, leading to the ever unpleasant floating waist.

Shirts: Frame S/S is gorgeous in Lira Grey (sage-y grey green color) but white sand (which online looks off-white) has too much yellow in it.

Jackets: Field Jacket LT in black is absolutely gorgeous. Extremely tempted, as this season's iteration fits me perfectly.