arcteryx veilance

Just got an Insulated Field Jacket from Black Friday sales (Mr. Porter) and I think its going to go back.  While there are a lot of neat aspects to the design that people focus on, the cut is pretty goofy.  For a jacket that should be cut to allow at least some layering, its very narrow towards the top, while billowing out as you approach the hem.  There is shoulder articulation but it doesn't matter much because the arm holes are so high and tight as to prevent moderate layering. This all combines to create a bit of a "Christmas tree"silhouette.  Its almost as if it was patterned for someone with no lats or chest but a significant gut.  Worse still, wearing  just a dress shirt my arm pits chafed enough from the high arm-holes that I had red marks when I got home.   I hope it stretches a bit but I doubt it.  So much for ergonomic design and range of motion.  

For the record, I'm 5'7 155 so I'm not a twig but I'm pretty close to normal build.

What size did you buy and what is your chest size?

I can't speak to the IS field jacket, but I have a GORE PRO field jacket LT in size LG (42 chest for reference) and I can easily wear a sweater, my Veilance insulator (also size LG) and then the pro shell over with no issues.

The IS fit might be different than the non IS field jacket, but I imagine the way they intended it to be worn was with a light non insulated mid-layer underneath. The design team probably fits the block with a Diale or a frame t shirt underneath during the development process.

Fals3, I am roughly the same size as you, but I have not experienced the same problems with my field jacket after two years of wear (size small).  Perhaps there have been slight changes in the sizing of the jacket for newer models.

Of all the current insulated jackets the Node is my least favourite.  As people have said, the length is odd. The Galvanic and Patrol are amazing, though;  I prefer the new cotton facing for this season compared to the models from past seasons, as they feel quite different, almost textured.

galvanic came, zipper is really hard to zip up for some reason, otherwise great piece.

it's because two way zippers suck ass. the trick to this particular zipper is that it only catches, and i mean ONLY, when you pull the zipper heads down as far as they go, until the entire length of the zipper is taut, and then insert the other end without introducing ANY slack. 

thanks

it's because two way zippers suck ass. the trick to this particular zipper is that it only catches, and i mean ONLY, when you pull the zipper heads down as far as they go, until the entire length of the zipper is taut, and then insert the other end without introducing ANY slack. 

thanks, that helped, I just hope the zipper itself will last despite being poorly designed.

^^ fuck 2 way zippers

Two way zippers on North Face jackets I've had were the worst thing ever...

I've had no problems with my Canada Goose and Acronym zippers, though.

galvanic came, zipper is really hard to zip up for some reason, otherwise great piece.

I had the same problem when I tried it on when it first dropped at the Arc'Teryx store in London. I had issues zipping it up smoothly and also when trying to unzip from the bottom up when the zip was closed. Lovely jacket but there's no way I'm going to drop ~£1000 on a jacket that doesn't have a perfect zip.

There's another way that took me forever to figure out.

If you lift your jacket bottoms so that the zipper ends (and jacket bottoms) are parallel to the floor so the zipper ends are pointing away from you, it is much easier to zip.  The Arcteryx zippers are curved so you have to slide them through carefully.

I am not entirely sure about the Galvanic, but it defintely works with my Monitor.

Huh, I didn't realize this wasn't just me; I had the same problem with the Galvanic IS.

An acquaintance of mine landed a job at arcteryx and hooked me up with his discount. Got the patrol is (not a 2nds item) for $515, still can't believe their employee discount. Don't think I will ever be able to buy an item full price but I also don't want to leech of his discount again.

By the way this is how one should wear the node is. Mindtrive as some already know has the best style shots and know how to wear the product perfectly.

http://www.mindtrive.com/category/em1-blog/page/2/

^ Very jelly. I'm really eager to find a great deal on a Graphite Patrol is. (It's not quite cold enough for the down parka, but too chilly for my FJ SV.)

I love the way the node is styled there by Mindtrive. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by TresUnCool

An acquaintance of mine landed a job at arcteryx and hooked me up with his discount. Got the patrol is (not a 2nds item) for $515, still can't believe their employee discount. Don't think I will ever be able to buy an item full price but I also don't want to leech of his discount again.

Got my black Patrol IS for less. Sample sales are the way to go. Fuck paying retail.

By the way this is how one should wear the node is. Mindtrive as some already know has the best style shots and know how to wear the product perfectly.

http://www.mindtrive.com/category/em1-blog/page/2/

mindtrive knows how to make dad jeans cool again.

DSCN00801.jpg

Man, I hope so. 100 variations of "slim-straight," which really means skinny bitch-boy jeans for anyone who grew up in the '90s, is getting out of control.

Don't break out your jnco's just yet, buddy. :rolleyes: