new to Atlanta, need help!

JDM

anyone here reside in the Atlanta, GA area?

I just moved here about a week ago, living in Sandy Springs and need reccomendations for shops/tailors...?

I found Lenox Mall, but thats about it...

If anyone can help with shops and good tailors, I would be much appreciative, thank you!

icon_smile.gif

Bill Hallman boutique (Monroe Drive)

French Kiss (Peachtree Street)

Little Five Points (artists area; off standard shops)

Peachtree Street pretty much takes u through the city's popular areas.

Check out Creative Loafing newspaper for other shops and stuff. They ususually have a best of Atlanta list which might have a tailor.

Good luck

Afrique C'est Chic

i live in atlanta

most stores in this area suck but yeah

it also depends on what you want

if you are into streetwear, there is absolutely nothing here.

The department stores located in Phipps plaza mall (across the street from lenox) and Lenox mall are pretty good. Phipps has barneys CO-OP.

little five: wish has some streetwear and some cool stuff but the inventory rarely changes

they are renovating the store right now and they will get new stuff in (the wish people claim they'll start getting japanese brands like neighborhodd but i dont believe them

peachtree: standard - lots of Y3... claims to have a nike QS account but they don't. selection is weak

if you are into shoes, check out rare footage, sole munki, stratosphere skateboards, ruin (in sandy spring). you'll be totally disappointed if you are used to going to stores with tier 0 / tier 1 accnts e.g. huf, undefeated,

PM me if you have any specific questions

Edited by herpsky on Jan 24, 2006 at 05:16 PM

Been living in Atlanta for about 2.5 years now...

The Bill Hallman in Virginia Highlands is pretty nice...they have a lot of jeans, depending on what you're looking for. There are a few other little boutiques around the same area (Virginia Highlands) that might interest you.

Never been to Standard, but hoping to check it out some time...I've heard varying things about selection though.

As far as the department stores at the malls go, it's hit-or-miss. Phipps has Nordstrom and Saks, both of which have shockingly limited selection for the nicest mall in a major city. Lenox has Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus. Not a big fan of Neiman's, but I like the Bloomingdale's there a lot. Perimeter Mall is pretty trashy in general, but has Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's, both of which are pretty decent.

The big problem with Atlanta as far as non-mall shopping goes is that it's not really a walking city. The malls are either too trashy or too expensive for specialty boutiques with nice clothing, and the areas where people do walking shopping are ghetto, like Underground Atlanta. Atlantic Station just opened...hopefully within a half a year there will be some cool upscale clothing in there, but all that's moved in so far are big chains like Gap, Express, etc.

atlanta has a lot of stores that carry "high end" jeans...

but they are mostly the ones STers won't probably rock e.g. citizens of humanity

there are sneaker boutiques but they are near the atl underground and i dont really enjoy going to the midtown/downtown area anyway (they don't even carry legit accounts. they just resell shoes purchased from other stores and etc)

i dont like standard at all...

i hang out in wish once in a while. cool people.

I'm from NYC, currently, but will be moving ATL soon. I just did a whir-wind tour, i'm planning to open a boutique in august, and had to check out competetors. ATL is NOT a Superfuture destination.... yet. there is so much potential but they just haven't grasped it yet.

with that being said, if i wasn't opening a store, i would probably shop at Barney CO-Op in Phipps mall i think.. They got nice denim, nudie, rogan, etc... but the guy said that rogan was too 'over the top' for ATL and people just don't 'get it'?! wierdos... anyway, they move most of thier Rogans by sending them to thier Hollywood location... but it seems like nudies are the best so far down here. unfortunately TRue REligion + Sevens still rule here for the guys.

Bill Hallman, Blue Genes, Fab'rik, Mitsy + Romano?, Luxe = all have the same schite! Wish seems to be the nicest street wear store carrying MAd Foot, REason, and some others I cant remember, oh they got that Gabriel guy's gold shoe jewlery (if you like that). I guess Wish is being remodeled right now so it's located around the corner. it's a shop that 'feels like my grandfathers basement' as said by some girl.

Most shopping in ATL seems to be centered about womens boutiques with some mens stuff.

the Standard was a'ight... but they only had like 6 shoes in there.. so not all that exciting; actually a little disappointing.

im pretty sure people havent even heard of nudie and rogan...

i picked up a pair of nudies for like 80 bucks from barneys.

a lot of women (girls?) in mid 20s - 30s wear true religions. not too many guys even rock true religions.

savage: your post pretty much summarizes the fashion scene of atlanta... there's not much good stuff for guys and the inventories carried by most stores overlap a lot too

what kind of boutique are you looking to open up and where would it be?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah, so I live in Atlanta. It actually is a great city for shopping-- you just need to know where to go. Most people have stated the best places: Wish (great shoes), Bill Hallman (great somewhat hard-to-find brands), Blue Genes (snobby environment, but very beverly hills selection of jeans), etc. In my opinion, though, Barney's CO-OP is the best place you can go. they have the best selection of everything, as well as the best customer service.

Like I said before, the stuff you'd find here is mostly main-stream.

if people are looking for obsecure streetwear brands, japanese stuff, foreign denim (e.g. imperial), you are out of luck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Airjamie

There was a store called Fab'rik that as far as I know of is still around, all jeans. Last time i checked everything was bootcut fratboy shit like Xvala (whack, just fucking whack) and atlantas own CARPE DENIM. Although maybe theyve stepped their game up...............where is that Barneys?

ATL will only suck until August/ September. A new high-end casual/ premium denim/ limited edition gear + Gallery will be opening SOON.

Thats all I can say for now. I can say it is opening because I am opening it, and I have placed my orders already. It will carry both mens and womens, although the mens will be more exclusive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

???

its really safe right by the train station. its sort of like a hipster hangout kind of the town.

as you go closer to south dekalb mall and etc (basically go down church st?),

it gets...uh....pretty sketchy

Hey all -

Yes the store is going to be in downtown Decatur.. It will be inbetween the MARTA and 'Tacarea del soul' (I don't think i spelled that right) anyway I should be signing the lease this week!! Then I can give you an exact address.

-B

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I just wanted to give you an update on the store. August is upon us and I'm still here in NYC... The opening date has been puched back till October. I guess there was some construction probelms etc. Anyway, we'll be located in the new Artisan building in the center of Decatur on the corner of Commerce and Ponce (on the Commerce Side). We'll be unit 117, I'm not sure if there's numbers up or not yet.

I hope to see you all sooner than later.

Cheers.