10 replies to this topic

#1 niche

niche

bored

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • joined 30 may 05

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:49 AM

I tried to search but didn't see any recent stuff on Vancouver. I'm from the east coast of the U.S. so I know little about Vancouver besides the stores I've read about. I know Livestock, El Kartel,Headquarters, and Alife are some hot shopping spots. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good, and if possible affordable hotel to stay. I've read the Gastown district is cool. Any other recommendations? Places to see, eat, etc. I'm there to do all the tourist stuff, not just shop. Which of course will also be done!!

thanks
www.theNicheMarket.com

#2 fourkicks

fourkicks

bored

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • joined 23 january 06

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:17 AM

I would recommend the Opus hotel in Vancouver... a boutique hotel, quite enjoyable. As far as eating, I would definitely go to Lift, an amazing restaurant on the waterfront - quite possibly my favorite in Vancouver.

#3 niche

niche

bored

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • joined 30 may 05

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

thanks for the recommendations. The opus looks super cool, but pretty steep for my budget! Anything more in the $100 and under a night rate? Anyone? Keep em coming.
www.theNicheMarket.com

#4 smurf

smurf

semibored

• Pip
  • 95 posts
  • joined 09 july 04

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

The Listel is a pretty decent hotel right on Robson, so you're close to a ton of shopping. I was up there the week between Christmas and New Year and the rooms were around $100 US.

www.listel-vancouver.com/

#5 fourkicks

fourkicks

bored

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • joined 23 january 06

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:43 AM

do you work anywhere? it is not a bad idea to call around for corporate rates... thats what i did in the past when i was in vancouver, and got greatly discounted rooms, as i worked for a large telecommunications company.

#6 niche

niche

bored

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • joined 30 may 05

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

I didn't even think about that. My wife works for Bank of America. I turned in some credit card points and am staying at the Residence Inn on Hornby. It looks pretty cool. Now...any recommendations on restaurants or things to go see?
www.theNicheMarket.com

#7 KALee

KALee

bored

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • joined 02 february 06

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:54 AM

here are my recommendations for Vancouver...

- Kobe Japanese Steakhouse (excellent food, great atmosphere and gorgeous hostesses)
- The Cannery Seafood House (amazing seafood and right on the pier)
- Glowbal (hip, stylish restaurant with great food)
- Seasons in the Park (great French restaurant in Queen Elizabeth Park)

As for things to see...
- Stanley Park
- Granville Street (full of clubs/bars/lounges)
- Yaletown (tons of little shops and restaurants)
- Gastown (older town with cobble stone roads)
- Robson Street (shopping central with a lot of restaurants as well)
- Harbour Centre/Cloud9 for a view and revolving restaurant

If you have more specific things in mind to eat, see or do, just ask.

#8 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

Definitely hit Kobe Japanese Steakhouse as well as the rest of KALee's suggestions. Not sure when you're coming, while Gastown has good shops, Richard Kidd, Alife, etc. and is cool for the cobblestone /steam clock feel, this time of year it feels kinda dark and damp. You might check http://www.granvilleislandhotel.com or http://www.sylviahotel.com/ both are in nice/interesting locations to stay, the thing with Vancouver is its small enough that you can get anywhere you need to be within an hour on foot, or 15 min on bus.

For food, check Denman street, lots of inexpensive spots within 4-5 blocks. If you're up for the large dinner out, check Il Giardino (Italian), I'd also recommend La Regalade in West Vancouver, its a French bistro, not cheap, but the food is excellent (get the gnocchi). Its a 15 min bus or cab ride out of Vancouver.

Commercial Drive is another area that’s cool to check, good small restaurants, little markets, cafés, bakeries, interesting shops etc. You could also hit Main street, spots like Front and Co. are well known for vintage, not my thing, but the neighbourhood is cool to check - there is a good spot for dim sum around there. Headquarters on Burrard had some nice kicks and a few Maharishi pieces last time I was in, might check that too.

Anyway, just some thoughts, there are lots of cool spots in Van, but there is also a lot of mediocrity, so the more research the better... if you have any specifc interests holler.

oh yeah... try to hit the Mongolie Grill on Davie, cheap and good food (noodles, veg, meat cooked while you wait on a huge hot block), although not exactly heavy on atmosphere....

Hope that helps...

#9 mark

mark

bored

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • joined 23 february 04

Posted 06 February 2006 - 01:56 AM

cant vouch for the mongolie grill, that place is pretty suspect to me.

guu is good for food and beer, robson or in gastown across the street from alife.

richard kidd and livestock are down the street from alife in gastown.

#10 niche

niche

bored

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • joined 30 may 05

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:38 PM

thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I am so stoked to check out Vancouver. We'll only be there 2 nights, then we're going to Whistler. Hopefully we'll get some good powder. I've been to Whistler before, but never stopped over in Vancouver.

On another tip, what's up with these "coffee" shops that I've been hearing about where you can get some BC?
www.theNicheMarket.com

#11 cb_jones

cb_jones

bored

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • joined 19 november 05

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

lol, check New Amsterdam Cafe, 300 block of Hastings I think. 20 min walk from where you're staying... I'm not really up on that, and I doubt its exactly Amsterdam steez, but I'm sure someone there could point in you in the right direction.

Have a great trip, hope the snow at Whistler works out for you, you should try to hit Teppan Village while you're in Whistler... ill Japanese steakhouse etc. http://www.teppanvillage.ca