Vancouver hotels, areas to stay??

niche

I tried to search but didn't see any recent stuff on Vancouver. I'm from the east coast of the U.S. so I know little about Vancouver besides the stores I've read about. I know Livestock, El Kartel,Headquarters, and Alife are some hot shopping spots. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good, and if possible affordable hotel to stay. I've read the Gastown district is cool. Any other recommendations? Places to see, eat, etc. I'm there to do all the tourist stuff, not just shop. Which of course will also be done!!

thanks

www.theNicheMarket.com

• 2 weeks later...

here are my recommendations for Vancouver...

- Kobe Japanese Steakhouse (excellent food, great atmosphere and gorgeous hostesses)

- The Cannery Seafood House (amazing seafood and right on the pier)

- Glowbal (hip, stylish restaurant with great food)

- Seasons in the Park (great French restaurant in Queen Elizabeth Park)

As for things to see...

- Stanley Park

- Granville Street (full of clubs/bars/lounges)

- Yaletown (tons of little shops and restaurants)

- Gastown (older town with cobble stone roads)

- Robson Street (shopping central with a lot of restaurants as well)

- Harbour Centre/Cloud9 for a view and revolving restaurant

If you have more specific things in mind to eat, see or do, just ask.

Definitely hit Kobe Japanese Steakhouse as well as the rest of KALee's suggestions. Not sure when you're coming, while Gastown has good shops, Richard Kidd, Alife, etc. and is cool for the cobblestone /steam clock feel, this time of year it feels kinda dark and damp. You might check http://www.granvilleislandhotel.com or http://www.sylviahotel.com/ both are in nice/interesting locations to stay, the thing with Vancouver is its small enough that you can get anywhere you need to be within an hour on foot, or 15 min on bus.

For food, check Denman street, lots of inexpensive spots within 4-5 blocks. If you're up for the large dinner out, check Il Giardino (Italian), I'd also recommend La Regalade in West Vancouver, its a French bistro, not cheap, but the food is excellent (get the gnocchi). Its a 15 min bus or cab ride out of Vancouver.

Commercial Drive is another area that’s cool to check, good small restaurants, little markets, cafés, bakeries, interesting shops etc. You could also hit Main street, spots like Front and Co. are well known for vintage, not my thing, but the neighbourhood is cool to check - there is a good spot for dim sum around there. Headquarters on Burrard had some nice kicks and a few Maharishi pieces last time I was in, might check that too.

Anyway, just some thoughts, there are lots of cool spots in Van, but there is also a lot of mediocrity, so the more research the better... if you have any specifc interests holler.

oh yeah... try to hit the Mongolie Grill on Davie, cheap and good food (noodles, veg, meat cooked while you wait on a huge hot block), although not exactly heavy on atmosphere....

Hope that helps...

thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I am so stoked to check out Vancouver. We'll only be there 2 nights, then we're going to Whistler. Hopefully we'll get some good powder. I've been to Whistler before, but never stopped over in Vancouver.

On another tip, what's up with these "coffee" shops that I've been hearing about where you can get some BC?

www.theNicheMarket.com

lol, check New Amsterdam Cafe, 300 block of Hastings I think. 20 min walk from where you're staying... I'm not really up on that, and I doubt its exactly Amsterdam steez, but I'm sure someone there could point in you in the right direction.

Have a great trip, hope the snow at Whistler works out for you, you should try to hit Teppan Village while you're in Whistler... ill Japanese steakhouse etc. http://www.teppanvillage.ca