Left Field Jeans

scotty2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, 

I finally took some time out to take some pictures of the sweats and the Candiani denim. Apologies in advance for the lighting and my posture. Really need to work on that. Thanks again to the Raw Hands duo on the pocket repair!

- Tafari

ipRW2Ff.jpg

SoKDh8o.jpg

H4CArN0.jpg

ArMeqA0.jpg

rqBriCf.jpg

wgbpdm7.jpg

iu8SBJV.jpg

EYdqJty.jpg

lmuIora.jpg

83fYrXd.jpg

Hey everyone, 

I finally took some time out to take some pictures of the sweats and the Candiani denim. Apologies in advance for the lighting and my posture. Really need to work on that. Thanks again to the Raw Hands duo on the pocket repair!

- Tafari

ipRW2Ff.jpg

SoKDh8o.jpg

H4CArN0.jpg

ArMeqA0.jpg

rqBriCf.jpg

wgbpdm7.jpg

iu8SBJV.jpg

EYdqJty.jpg

lmuIora.jpg

83fYrXd.jpg

Looking good, that pocket repair is great. 

As far as lighting goes, outdoor shade or anywhere on overcast days is probably the best I've found for photographing fades. You don't have to worry about certain parts looking blown out or shadowed, so the only editing it needs is white balance to best reflect the fabric.

Glad you're happy with em, Emperor!  I haven't wanted to post until oe1 was over at my place, since he just lurks on mobile.  At the same time however I don't want you to feel ignored.

For the record, as a contestant I only made myself available for technical advice and critique, to avoid any "conflict of interest."  That particular type of pocket repair is a real beast.  Lots of stuff going on fabric-wise in that area.

The crotch patch was just a little bonus but I love it.  It could have gone deeper but it was mostly a courtesy because we didn't want to send them back with a hole that could have been fixed.  Darning is cheap, quick, and effective but there are very, very few repairs I've personally done that show more labor and care when finished than the lowly crotch patch.

***ps thanks for the props to Raw Hands :)

Edited by jyoni

really stylish repairs Jyoni, thanks for sharing them Emp. By the way next time you're in the LES check out Deadly Dragon records on Forcythe, great 70's 80's 90's reggae printed in JA.  Are you machine washing or hand rinsing the Candiani? 

@oxy yeah two 15 oz Selvedge canvas, olive and maybe Caramel but not 100% sure if I'm going to do the caramel again, sells really well though. Excited to get some heavyweight selvedge chinos in. 

@LeftField - I'm thinking about getting a winter pair of greasers, either the 17oz or the 23oz. I own several pairs of greasers already (which I love!), do both the 17oz and 23oz size the same as other greasers? It looks that way on the measurement charts, but I just wanted to check.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the 17 and the 23? Of course, one is heavier than the other, but other than that?

^I can't speak to the 23oz Collects, but the 17oz Cones are stout. I've finally been putting some consistent wear into mine (maybe 30 some odd wears now). They have a very dark, inky hue and a rather tight weave that doesn't stretch too easily. Smooth on the inside and mostly even on the outside, but for some small slub runs and loom chatter here and there. I will confess to not finding them especially comfortable yet. Them seem to have a ton of starch in them. I actually soaked them twice already in attempt to soften them up a bit, and they still remain quite rigid and crispy. All this is too say that they are just stubborn at first and will take time to break in. 

Thanks, MileHigh. I wonder if this is a characteristic of Cone denim. My 15 oz Cone greasers were sort of like this and have taken some time to break in. That being said, I never found them uncomfortable. I had the same experience with a pair of Raleigh denim jeans a while back. So, the 17oz are a contender for me.

I'm just wondering still about the fit of both the 17oz and 23 oz before I decide. If they run very similar to the 15oz Cones and the Black Marias I have, then all is well and I can just decide between the two. If one or the other runs small, has little stretch, or more of a shrinkage factor, then that may make my decision for me.

^I can't speak to the 23oz Collects, but the 17oz Cones are stout. I've finally been putting some consistent wear into mine (maybe 30 some odd wears now). They have a very dark, inky hue and a rather tight weave that doesn't stretch too easily. Smooth on the inside and mostly even on the outside, but for some small slub runs and loom chatter here and there. I will confess to not finding them especially comfortable yet. Them seem to have a ton of starch in them. I actually soaked them twice already in attempt to soften them up a bit, and they still remain quite rigid and crispy. All this is too say that they are just stubborn at first and will take time to break in. 

@LeftField - I'm thinking about getting a winter pair of greasers, either the 17oz or the 23oz. I own several pairs of greasers already (which I love!), do both the 17oz and 23oz size the same as other greasers? It looks that way on the measurement charts, but I just wanted to check.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of the 17 and the 23? Of course, one is heavier than the other, but other than that?

Just my two cents, the 23oz is the second most beautiful fabric I've ever seen. It's pretty stubborn to get to white, but it seems to react well to semi-frequent washing, like the momotaro vintage label stuff. Between the cone 17 and the collect 23 I'd go with the collect, but only because I already did ;)

First post and recent LFNYC convert.  I've been looking for the right pair of raws for a while now.  I wanted med-high rise and 13-13.5" thighs in a slim-straight fit, and the Greasers fit great.  I have 2 pairs at the moment - 13oz Cone (37) and 15oz Kuroki (36).  The Cones are more relaxed in the upper block, and the Kurokis are slim.  Between the two, I like the heft and texture of the Kurokis a bit more, but I love both pairs.  Only crotch shots for now, but here are a few pics.  I'll get some macro shots eventually.

Kurokis

Cones

Already thinking about another pair, even though I probably don't need it.   :laugh:   I like the texture of the Candiani Mills high-nep denim; I'm intrigued by the weight of the 23 oz Collect Mills; and I've never owned a pair of black denim.  Decisions decisions.

i own a lot of nice clothes and i've become a bit of a gd snob. when it comes to pants, i have to say left field really does it right. granted, i've tailored many of my LF chinos, but they remain my go-to pants. i now own 5 pair of chinos and the sweats. if you're on the fence on this brand, don't be. just make sure you get your waist size right. the rest can be handled by a solid tailor. the materials LF uses is life time.

welcome! great choices. you can't mess it up with LF.

Thanks!  And yes, I definitely agree - I'm very happy with my Greasers!

i own a lot of nice clothes and i've become a bit of a gd snob. when it comes to pants, i have to say left field really does it right. granted, i've tailored many of my LF chinos, but they remain my go-to pants. i now own 5 pair of chinos and the sweats. if you're on the fence on this brand, don't be. just make sure you get your waist size right. the rest can be handled by a solid tailor. the materials LF uses is life time.

I'm just getting back into wearing nicer, well made, and well fitting clothes.  I had a lot of nice clothes in my early 20s; Diesel, AG, Joes, Earl, Loomstate, etc.  And then I got a desk job, got married, had kids, gained about 25 lbs, and those clothes no longer fit.  Thinking I'd lose the weight, I made due with Dockers and Lucky's.  Then I turned 30, and I decide it was time to address my appearance and health.  On the appearance front, I started with shoes, and now I'm working on jeans and chinos.  Next is probably shirts, then accessories.

I really like the LF chino selection.  I've been eyeballing the Caramel & Indigo Miners for a while.  My office is business casual, with the exception of Fridays, so I'll probably pick up a few pairs of chinos over the next few months.  I'll still sneak in my Greasers, though, and I'd have no hesitation in wearing the Black Marias during the week, which is part of the reason I'm heavily considering them.

nailed it^

It is true that i've had more customers have LF pants and jeans altered than any other brand 10-1. Mostly tapers in the greaser and the miner. (christian, i thank you but shake my fist at your decision for felled inseams on the jeans!)  personally, i;m totally into both cuts as -are. it's true that they are just solid and people that know, know and pretty much stop looking for other pants. Christian and Johnny can verify that i just ordered 5 pairs of Black Keruoac chinos for a customer who already had two pairs. I've had all 7 tapered now for him. He's pumped to have a uniform that he's totally into. 

Mr Engineer,

based on your tidy shoe game, i recommend you pretty much get it all.

If you like  the fit of the greasers, the Miner and the field pant will be your jam all day. you're a great candidate for the indigo twill because then you can fade your pants while you're still strictly BC. same with black marias. hem game is crucial tho (LF can take care of that legit).

I look forward to watching your journey with LF continue.

nailed it^

It is true that i've had more customers have LF pants and jeans altered than any other brand 10-1. Mostly tapers in the greaser and the miner. (christian, i thank you but shake my fist at your decision for felled inseams on the jeans!)  personally, i;m totally into both cuts as -are. it's true that they are just solid and people that know, know and pretty much stop looking for other pants. Christian and Johnny can verify that i just ordered 5 pairs of Black Keruoac chinos for a customer who already had two pairs. I've had all 7 tapered now for him. He's pumped to have a uniform that he's totally into. 

Mr Engineer,

If you like  the fit of the greasers, the Miner and the field pant will be your jam all day. you're a great candidate for the indigo twill because then you can fade your pants while you're still strictly BC. same with black marias. hem game is crucial tho (LF can take care of that legit).

Ha, thanks!  Yeah, I kind of went shoe crazy.  There's a handful I need to get rid of because they don't fit well or I don't wear very often.

I got the 13 oz Cones first (unhemmed) to dial in my size, and I either double or triple cuff them, depending on my shoes.  Then, I ordered the Kurokis with a hem, and they're perfect.  The hem-job is perfect, too.  I'll send the Cones back at some point for a hem.

As far as the 23 oz-ers, is there any info on how much (or if) they stretch?  I'm only on page 43 of the thread.   :P  I'm wondering if TTS or +1 is the way to go on those.  For me, a 36 is TTS.

Ha, thanks!  Yeah, I kind of went shoe crazy.  There's a handful I need to get rid of because they don't fit well or I don't wear very often.

I got the 13 oz Cones first (unhemmed) to dial in my size, and I either double or triple cuff them, depending on my shoes.  Then, I ordered the Kurokis with a hem, and they're perfect.  The hem-job is perfect, too.  I'll send the Cones back at some point for a hem.

As far as the 23 oz-ers, is there any info on how much (or if) they stretch?  I'm only on page 43 of the thread.   :P  I'm wondering if TTS or +1 is the way to go on those.  For me, a 36 is TTS.

I went TTS on the 23s, and as far as I can tell they don't stretch much. I just washed them and they measure 31" in the waist, which is the size I ordered. They do feel like they're a bit tighter at the moment than they usually are, though.

Also, if I can jump in here and mention that the double felled inseam is one of my favorite details on LF's jeans because I see so few other brands doing it, but for some reason it has been the only source of failure on my 23s, I guess because of the weight of the fabric. I've had to repair the inseam once. Just something to consider if you plan on rocking a cuff.

Thanks, man! You may have swayed me over to the 23oz. Do you have other greasers? Do the 23 oz fit the same?

Just my two cents, the 23oz is the second most beautiful fabric I've ever seen. It's pretty stubborn to get to white, but it seems to react well to semi-frequent washing, like the momotaro vintage label stuff. Between the cone 17 and the collect 23 I'd go with the collect, but only because I already did ;)

Yup, I now have 3 pairs of greaser jeans (10 oz., 15 oz. & Black Marias) and 3 pair of miner chinos (khaki, navy, & black). I pretty much wear only LF pants these days. They just seem to fit me perfectly and the quality is topnotch. These are the first pants my wife has commented on uninvited saying - "I love those pants!" Gave me a perfect excuse to buy some more. And now I'm in the market for the 23oz and who knows, if there is a sale after Christmas (hint, hint), maybe more.

nailed it^

Mr Engineer,

My 23oz have stretched a little less than an inch after 30 days of wear but i'm sure i'd lose that in a second if i washed or soaked them.

I would suggest going true to size on the 23 oz. They are stiff bastards at first and can feel like a sack of potatoes but once you get your creases set and begin to form to your legs they are great. I have machine washed mine around 4 times now trying to get more shrink out of them but I honestly have noticed no change.

For those in the office game I would highly suggest the Cone Mills Indigo Twill. Especially in the field pant those suckers look real dressed up with really unique construction. I saw someone after a month or two of wear and havent seen anything else like them. 

I'm still waiting to cop a blanket lined denim jacket which should be in soon, super stoked on those. Going to be rocking an indigo tee under my indigo hoodie underneath my jacket with my Kaiharas and indigo diped vans for awhile.  B)

Thanks, man! You may have swayed me over to the 23oz. Do you have other greasers? Do the 23 oz fit the same?

I don't actually have any more greasers (shame) but I had a pair of Chelseas previously and the measurements given on the website matched exactly for both pairs.

yes

I am wondering if there is any users of the twill flight jacket,  is this a true to size jacket?