San Francisco locals, advice needed!

saint_d

Hey all

Flying in to SFO, picking up a hire car for a 'boarding trip lake tahoe way.

I'd love to check some spots for shopping on Sunday en route, is it a nightmare parking around Union Sq?

Would I be best using local transport instead?

Does everyone shup up shoop early on sunday?

knowledge gratefull received!

d

Parking around Union Square will be very expensive if not a nightmare. I recommend taxi or public transit, depending on your cash and masochism levels.

If by "shup up shoop" you mean closing early, I would say, not by much, most stores are open fairly late on Sunday as it is a big shopping day, especially for visitors.

ask a cassowary

imo, parking in Union Square isn't THAT bad -- there's a 6-level underground parking garage right in the HEART of Union Square that isn't a ripoff, and there's another great garage on Ellis & O'Farrell that has even better prices than the underground garage and has free valet parking.

Public transportation inside the city is fairly good, but it can take a little while, and if you want to go anywhere outside of the city core (North Bay, wine country, East Bay, whatever) you will absolutely need a car.

oh, you're going to lake tahoe -- in that case, don't worry about it -- just park in Union Square.

Edited by minya on Jan 12, 2006 at 04:13 PM

If you plan on going to the higher end stores like Diesel, Saks Fifth, Coach in the Post Street/Sutter area, then street parking is not hard at all. But go early like 10:00 for weekend parking, it's really hard to find a not full parking garage on a sunday. If you're looking for street/urban style clothes, definetely check out Haigh street, VERY difficult to find parking there, but it's definetely worth checking out. If you're looking for an excellent variety of denim ie PRPS, Rogan, Edwin check out Rolo on Howard and 9th