Clothing for The Great Outdoors

In this thread, we will discuss and look at pictures of clothing, bags, and accessories pertaining to the marvelous worlds of Hunting, Mountaineering, and the American worker.

Special attention will be paid to heritage brands (Filson, Frost River, Woolrich, etc...) as well as modern itterations of said clothing produced (by and large) for the Japanese market by labels such as White Mountaineering, Waste(twice), S2W8, and Mountain Research

It's also worth talking about the great mountaineering brands of yore, such as Sierra Designs, Chouinard (Patagonia), The North Face, REI, and others. I ask that we keep the discussion of these brands PRIMARILY to their vintage pieces, or to their new products licensed for Japan, simply because both those things are more interesting and of a higher quality than any of their current US ranges.

The Brits are certainly not off limits. Though a lot of their "outdoors wear" looks like refined functional casual wear to my eye, their is no ignoring the contributions of a company like Barbour in the Waxed Cotton Outerwear game.

I don't know much about post O'alls, Stevenson Overalls, and other early 20th century American worker inspired Japanese brands, but I'd be glad to see them in here as well.

We need NOT FOCUS ON the following either because they are over discussed, too general, simply irrelevant, or discussed in other threads:

-Timberland

-Acronym

-Moncler

-Visvim

-Too much foot wear, for redundancy's sake.

Whatever. We'll play it how it lands.

That said, let the pictures and words of waxed cotton, tin cloth, Melton Wool, Duck Canvass, Gore-tex, Ballistic Nylon, and other wonders of the world begin!

Beginings, though humble indeed.

All shot with a borrowed digi cam from recent issues of Free'n Easy and 2nd.

Sierra Designs Mountain parka- A beautiful piece lined with pendelton Fabric, made of their classic 60/40 Nylon/cotton blend. They have reissued a classic version of this in limited run in North America, but it looks diffeent to me

IMG_4625.jpg

Assorted Sierra designs Coats and vests

IMG_4626.jpg

Vintage Jansport Mountain Pack with Patches

IMG_4607.jpg

Vintage LL Bean Rucksack (Classic!)

IMG_4614.jpg

On the workwear tip...

Post Overalls has a new line coming out (or perhaps out already) of Black Chambray shirts and jackets. I find this particularly exciting, as i don't really do blue denim up top.

IMG_4623.jpg

Stevenson Overalls Co. (out of California with Japanese backing) are making some beautiful single needle stitch shirts. I think they are going to be stocked domestically soon.

IMG_4624.jpg

good thread.

I love the materials used in outdoor clothing.

I recently got myself a Loden coat. My father has had a Steinbock loden coat for years and it has kept up well. Loden is a material I see more on the European market I guess. Most of it I know from hunting clothes and more tradiotional germanic dress. It's a great fabric though.

These are two companies that make nice loden stuff, although they are in no way fashionable there may be some nice items if you would wear it the right way.

Lodenfrey

Some Steinbock stuff on Sierra trading post.

Sierra trading post has some nice outdoors brands that are less known.

That said, let the pictures and words of waxed cotton, tin cloth, Melton Wool, Duck Canvass, Gore-tex, Ballistic Nylon, and other wonders of the world begin!

If appropriate early in this thread - I am unfamiliar with the materials. Would an introduction enhance appreciation?

Actually very much like this idea as 'The Great Outdoors' is just the sort of aesthetic that I go for.

Whilst looking around for Russells on jap blog sites I came across Inverallan a scottish sweater maker with an interesting cardigan or as they call it ploughman's jacket. Their site is a little poor but all items handknit in scotland they also do fairisle and aran sweats

RIMG0424.JPG

ia-3a-ox-sh-oxford-b-1.jpg

On their site they mention that the designs signify wealth

if the crosses are filled with diamonds you are rich empty and you are poor

I've had the idea of a brands and items made in the UK thread recentley as it's getting harder ie more expensive for me to buy American and I'm sure theres plenty I'm unaware of.

Although it can mostly go in here I think

Inverallen is really nice.

When it comes to winter knitwear, Athena makes nice arans as well.

There is also some typical bretagne/channel islands sailor type clothes that I love. This store has some cool sail cloth stuff. In the same style is this store, I would love my own hand knit gansey.

Also a knitwear brand making warm winter knits I would like to know more about is Chamula, they seem to be from Mexico? Anyway, I like the designs on their knits. Untill know i've only find japan sellers.

Example:2482-0001-1.jpg

yes, I love traditional scandinavian knits. I have quite some vintage knits that I don't wear much but just love for the patterns and colors. There is some great stuff on ebay. I like stuff by Janus, Voss, Fana, some Dale. These days the designs are a bit to folkloric for me though. I like the sweaters that have this sort of wide boat neck and are pretty slim fitting.

Icelandic sweaters are great, the real ones indeed don't have separate sleeves set to them, but are sorta round in one piece. The knitting technique for this is pretty nice and makes it special. My grandfather used to work as a seafarer (what's the good word for this?) and even was a consul for Iceland. Apparantly he used to bring home a lot of beautiful knits, scarfs and gloves. My mother and her brothers and sisters used them, and when I was a little kid me and my sisters used them. They where all childrens sizes though. But I am still amazed at the quality of knitwear like that and how long it lasts. It's from experiences like this that I still have a love for traditional and hand made goods. I would love to have stuff now that I could wear a lot and then pass it over to my kids and see them wear and enjoy it. I can get really attached to clothes like this.:)

I think it would be cool to get a relevant blog/magazine list added to the OP. I don't really have any workwear blogs that I follow, and don't know the first thing when it comes to magazines.

MEG Company features some cool brands. I brought them up in the Mountaineering Thread a while back. From what is up there, it looks pretty promising. I emailed the owner asking about a site update or product list but he never got back to me and when I called them up the sale associate didn't really have much in depth information on the product. Anyone in California ever been there?

nice bobo like the pockets

anticipating this elusive fjallraven post

have a jacket and backpack both wilderness tested

I like their mix of traditional and modern in their design and material

It was a rather unepic post anyway, just that its weird Fjällräven is overlooked, since its a classic brand, early 60s, that still make many of its original products (Greenland and Telemark jackets, Moutain anorak, Kånken bag among others) in pretty much the same materials as orginally. The also make loads of nice new stuff, including flannels, hats and bags.

I got a vintage Telemark jacket, and the only difference I really notice are that the material (cotton/poly blend) is a tighter weave today

Fjall300.jpg

It was a rather unepic post anyway, just that its weird Fjällräven is overlooked, since its a classic brand, early 60s, that still make many of its original products (Greenland and Telemark jackets, Moutain anorak, Kånken bag among others) in pretty much the same materials as orginally. The also make loads of nice new stuff, including flannels, hats and bags.

I got a vintage Telemark jacket, and the only difference I really notice are that the material (cotton/poly blend) is a tighter weave today

Fjallraven often seems regarded as more casual than functional or at least in England but I imagine most are unaware of it's heritage

The G1000 fabric is great I enjoy spending a half hour or so waxing my greenland a lot of waterproof claims get thrown around but I've found this to work beyond my initial expectation

the rucksack I have is the ' vintage' 20L

fjallraven.png

love the simple design and leather straps but the harness and backing are modern and I find it comfortable in the city or as a day/weekend sack.

^^ I´ve been looking at those back packs, and its nice to hear that you enjoy it.. I think I might get a 20l myself. How much stuff can you cram in it?

In sweden, Fjällräven definitly is regarded as a classic brand, and a common old man look is a beaten vintage Greenland jacket with faded Levis :)