Ande Whall Denim

iloveredstripe

heyheyhey the Caribous look great. I'm curious how you sized them? I.e., your true waist measurement vs the size of jeans.

I've been eyeing up the Caribous for a few months, but just not set on the size. I'm hoping for them to stretch out to around 34.5", so thinking a size 32 is my best bet...especially seeing how much in_limbo's stretched out. 

I used the Iron Heart method, measured the waist on my favorite pair of jeans and compared the actual waist size to the measurements on the website. I find it easier to just forget about tagged sizes.

Soaked once now, some shrinkage occurred but nothing a bit of wear didn't stretch out.

Edited by heyheyhey

I used the Iron Heart method, measured the waist on my favorite pair of jeans and compared the actual waist size to the measurements on the website. I find it easier to just forget about tagged sizes.

Soaked once now, some shrinkage occurred but nothing a bit of wear didn't stretch out.

Thanks man, yeah I'm not concerned with tag size either. Just curious if you accounted for stretching or not. They've got some room in the thighs without looking baggy, which I'm looking for.

I just picked up the Caribou SR11 that was on sale. I've been considering the standard denim version for a while, but the deal was too good to pass up.

Anyone have both the SR11 (or SR7) and the regular denim and offer a comparison? Given that it's left hand, I'm considering getting both.

Haha! I'm in a similar boat, I have both the SR7 and SR11 and have been considering getting the mainline denim for a while. There's a pair of sample Buffalos in my size too...

What I can say is that the SR7/11 is beautiful denim, it develops electric blue hues and subtle vertical falling whilst maintaining that softness characterised by left hand twill. The mainline denim is a slightly lighter weight but looks very dark and crispy - there's plenty of pictures and comment on both here and the AW competition thread.

Ande seems to have a very definite "house style" of lighter-to-midweight crispy denim, so I think you'll find the feeling of SR11 and the mainline jeans to be quite similar. Certainly my black/white pair of Ande Whalls and the SR11s both feel like that, and it matches what people here have said about his main indigo.

The SR11 is only about 2 months in, so I still haven't gotten that left-hand softness coming through yet. But it does feel lighter than most of my other denim, and has been a great summer pair. It also seems to be a stubborn fader, so it would probably be tough to wear in alongside the standard indigos.

Grabbed the SR10 grey denim mustangs. Was on the fence about these when they were out but at half price and in my size they'll add a nice option in my rotation. Also never tried the mustang cut so good way to see how it suits.

Addit: can anyone with a pair of SR10s tell me, do they fade much?

Edited by mattofumi

Me again! I bought some SR10 Buffalos last year and have about 2 months real wear on mine (they are warm weather jeans for me). I gave them an initial 40C machine wash and a soak after about 6 weeks of wear to tighten them up again. I'll give them a wash by mid-late October and post some pictures up then. My initial views are that they do fade but it will be less defined than indigo denim as there is less contrast between the warp and weft so will be a softer, more even looking fade. That suits me fine but I'm sure there's a hardcore denimhead in SE Asia who could wear these for 6 months solid in sweltering heat (with no washes) and put whiskers and combs galore on them!

I like having an alternative to indigo jeans as I don't wear chinos and like a change every now and then, particularly when I'm wearing them with a blue shirt, breaks things up a little.

Sweet. Thanks Maynard. I have a few indigo dyed tshirts too so the contrast is a plus I hadn't considered. Living in Brisbane, Australia, some 13oz denim sounds like a better weight than the heavier stuff I wear for about 2 months of the year.

SR12s are out, very Lee-pro!

http://andewhall.bigcartel.com/new-sr12

funny, i've always thought shovel-head backpockets would suit ande's jeans to a t, and don't get me wrong, they do so this time. but this leepro sr also, perhaps inadvertently, shows off his original genius in combining all the subtly lee-ish details with the levi's-style backpockets in his mainstay line. now if only the rupiah weren't back in the doldrums yet again!

I don't have any fit pics although I own 4 pairs of Buffalos. If you have a look through the AW Contest thread, you'll find some pics. In fact the contest winner (theotherchrislewis) sported a pair. Are you think of picking up the sample pair?

Hard to even find selvedge jeans in Brisbane. Pretty much Edwin or Nudies. Apartment used to stock Imperials but apparently they didn't sell so they dropped them.

I had just assumed that there wouldn't be many places that stock Japanese/raw/selvedge denim. But maybe it's even worse than I thought haha. Perhaps the subtropical climate, people live in shorts and flip flips 8 months of the year.

Like most on here, I'm ok with buying my denim online.

Got my SR11 Caribous in the mail a couple days ago. Fit great and interesting colour! Quite soft at one wash, not sure they'll be too easy to fade...but they'll be really comfortable regardless. Fit pics eventually will follow.

Edited by tion4->